Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop cleaning traps! Oh, and one more thing.  (Read 1183 times)

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
Stop cleaning traps! Oh, and one more thing.
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:42:42 am »

Is there any way to get dwarves to ignore traps? It's seriously stupid to try to clean a trap when there's 60+ goblins in the vicinity! So far only a fisher has done this, but it seems my excellent engravers are also trying to take their lives. ;_;
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:13:13 am by tefalo »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop cleaning traps! GOSH DARNIT!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:45:18 am »

Press t, hover over the trap, and forbid the trap mechanisms.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:49:57 am »

mass forbid is easier. (d-b-f), then (d-b-c) to reclaim afterwards. Chances are you dont want anyone hauling the gear and other stuff off either.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:54:22 am »

Hey, awesome! Something else that puzzled me was dwarves running outside with stay indoors enabled. I'm guessing they're trying to flee from the goblins... anyway, if they're not trying to haul/reclaim, they should have no reason to walk up to the entrance.

EDIT: Own topic derail! Is it worth giving wrestlers armor? They seem to... violently undress each other in the barracks, but never pick up anything.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:14:34 am by tefalo »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop cleaning traps! Oh, and one more thing.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

Yes. Dwarfs rarely bother picking clothes back up again when they're pulled off, but they'll likely retrieve their armour.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:39:20 pm »

Yeah, train their armor use skill.

The reason they almost never put clothes back on is because they would have to take off their armor to do so, which they simply aren't programmed to do.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 02:13:36 pm »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 03:50:19 pm »

If you're not around to forbid the traps when needed, it works to channel away the roof over them, they will not be cleaned when outside(The roof is gone), and dwarves are set to stay inside.

Alternatively, channel somewhere on the path from the dwarves to the traps, they will turn back once they're at that spot.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 06:29:50 pm »

As far as the "Stay Indoors" command go, that thing... well I wouldn't say its broken, but rather that the dwarves are too stupid to understand it.

The only fool dwarf-proof way to avoid them running outside is to make sure they have no reason to. using the 'o'rders 'F'orbid menu to auto-forbid dropped items from deadies, and manually forbid anything that was already there. Put your meeting area inside. And don't tell them to cut trees.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:32:56 pm »

Giving wrestlers armor and shields will train them on both shield and armor user. It's not required if all you want them for is early military, but I'd do it. Even leather armor and wooden shields will work if you're training early military, all they need is the armor slots to be filled for them to train the skill.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »

The reason they almost never put clothes back on is because they would have to take off their armor to do so, which they simply aren't programmed to do.

This isn't true. My wrestlers have no armor on but still don't pick up their clothing and put it back on.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 12:40:06 am »

As far as the "Stay Indoors" command go, that thing... well I wouldn't say its broken, but rather that the dwarves are too stupid to understand it.

The only fool dwarf-proof way to avoid them running outside is to make sure they have no reason to. using the 'o'rders 'F'orbid menu to auto-forbid dropped items from deadies, and manually forbid anything that was already there. Put your meeting area inside. And don't tell them to cut trees.

yeah what I think is happening, is your civilian dwarves head inside. While inside picking lint out of their belly button, the dwarf thinks, "gee I should be doing something. I know! I'll go grab the stuff that one of those gobbos dropped. Thats bound to be useful." so he charges the door. The rest see him, and its kind of the lemming effect. Upon breeching the outside area, the head dwarf goes, "whoa wait a minute, I'm not supposed to be outside, back inside!" upon heading inside the dwarf thinks again, "Gee I should be doing something..."

mass forbiding is a good idea, likewise telling your dwarves to ignore refuse from outside, and to not loot stuff helps, just remember to turn it back on after the siege.

Of course a true dwarf would have a heinously complicated trap that not only kills the siege in a bloody but humorous way; but also cleans, sorts, and catalogs loot for easy collection.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:18:16 am »

SquirrelWizard touched on the reason dwarves are heading to the exit even with "Dwarves Stay Inside" set.

The problem is that they don't seem to actually look and see if the ITEM is outside. They head toward it, and at some point realize, "Oh, wait, I'm outside. I'm not supposed to be." and cancel the job.

You can see this in reverse as dwarves that ARE outside when the order is given cancel jobs like Eat and Drink and, I think, Sleep.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.