Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have charcoal and lignite but smelter won't offer turn Lignite to Coal job  (Read 3942 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mined a ton of lignite, I have a wood burning furnace where I've built up tons of charcoal from wood, and I have a smelter.  But I can't seem to figure out how to turn my lignite into coal.  I thought you could do that at the smelter if you have charcoal?  My smelter only offers me the tasks "melt metal object" and "make bronze".  The wood furnace doesn't have the option either.

I'm on version 40d.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i had this exact problem not long ago and could never find a way to fix it. Try ordering it through j->m and see what comes up.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep!  That worked.  Just had to type in "lignite" to find it.  Now the smelter is turning lignite into coal.

I didn't know about the j->m menu before.  That's useful to know about.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What task were you looking for in the smelter? I believe that coking tasks (the ore equivalent of make charcoal) show up as 'Make coke from *x*'. Where x is the type of coal ore.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:49:51 pm by Fossaman »
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So thought it was going to smelt it....and...then I got a dozen messages "Urist McSmelter cancels turn lignite into coke:  needs pyrite."

Pyrite?!  What?  That's a gem, not an ore.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

Pyrite?!  Indeed...

What mod are you using?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:21:02 am by Albedo »

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile

Sounds like maybe something got switched around somewhere, maybe.
Check the RAWs for the two stones and the reaction and make sure nothing looks off.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't do mods - just vanilla 40d dwarf fortress.  Not even a graphics mod.

Nothing's off in the raws - reactions looks good for lignite.  I even grepped the whole folder for any occurrence of the word "pyrite"; it only occurs one time, properly listed as a gem in matgloss.

It must be some weird bug?  I notice the data/ folder also has a reactions file, but it is in binary so I can't edit/read it.  Maybe the game made a mistake when it was compiling the raw/reactions file during world gen.  I probably won't be able to use lignite without pyrite anywhere until I generate a new world.

This sucks because I've had to chop down all my trees to feed my smelters and forges, now I'm totally out of wood, while a metric crap ton of lignite and some charcoal sat unused.  Yet I hate to abandon my fortress because other than that I'm doing well and put a lot of time in it.

I wonder what would happen if I regenned the world in a copy of the df folder, and then used the newly compiled reactions file from data/ to overwrite the one I've got?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Have you tried deleting the files from data/objects and allowing the game to regenerate them from the raws? The raws get compiled each time you run the program, and their general state is stored in each world (to the extent of counts and order - you can modify all sorts of entries, but you generally cannot add them without regenning).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

I don't do mods - just vanilla 40d dwarf fortress.
Urist McSmelter cancels turn lignite into coke:  needs pyrite."

These two statements do not go well with each other.  :-\

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have charcoal and lignite but smelter won't offer turn Lignite to Coal job
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 05:33:54 pm »

When I had this problem Bit Coal needed tetrahedrite and lignite needed horn silver. I replaced all of the raws and then genned a new world and it still didn't fix it.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have charcoal and lignite but smelter won't offer turn Lignite to Coal job
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:38 pm »

That seriously sounds like the two got switched around in the reaction_standard, in the raws.
If all else fails, redo the install (as in, unzip it again) and import your save files to the new DF folder.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 06:38:56 pm »

My reaction standard was immaculate. Bit coal reaction needed bit coal and lignite needed lignite. I still replaced it and matgloss_stone_mineral.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »

... le shrug, then. Replace the whole ball of wax and import your save games. Should only take a minute or two, alot faster than trying to hunt down the problem.

Unless of course you're running a mod... cause then you need to make sure to replace that too, or it won't let you load your saves on the new DF.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 10:10:23 pm »

Have you tried deleting the files from data/objects and allowing the game to regenerate them from the raws?

Did you try this?
Pages: [1] 2