Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?  (Read 2679 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:04:19 pm »

Riddle me this.

Ice walls are natural. Natural walls, when caved-in, can form a new natural wall where it lands.

If I use a pump to generate an ice wall over the ocean and subsequently drop it, would it be possible to use this and make a shell for a tower?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09:49 pm »

Try it and tell us?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:26:03 pm »

If the ocean itself isn't already frozen, it's likely that dropping ice into it would cause it to melt once it hit the bottom.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:30:27 pm »

If the ocean itself isn't already frozen, it's likely that dropping ice into it would cause it to melt once it hit the bottom.

But salt water never freezes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:45:57 pm »

But salt water never freezes.

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Re-St/Sea-Water-Freezing-of.html

Does temperature transfer between objects in DF?

For the purposes of DF, salt water does not freeze.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:47 pm »

But "doesn't freeze" isn't the same as "freezing". 

The question is not whether salt water freezes, it's whether salt water gets cold enough to maintain existing ice.

Does temperature transfer between objects in DF?

In some cases, yes, such as magma warming nearby ice - but it's not clear if the temp is actually "transferred" or it's just modeled to appear that way.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 09:13:29 pm by Albedo »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:15:35 am »

That's what I thought.

I guess we just need someone to try this out now.

Kern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »

The question is not whether salt water freezes, it's whether salt water gets cold enough to maintain existing ice.
If it's already cold enough for ice to form, shouldn't it be? Not freezing isn't the same as not getting cold

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 02:28:07 pm »

Huh, this is an interesting idea...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 04:12:25 pm »

If it's already cold enough for ice to form, shouldn't it be? Not freezing isn't the same as not getting cold

no. not at all. saltwater's freezing point is below zero, in some cases well below. so ice would not form unelss it is REALLY cold. if you place pre-frozen plain water in it though it will stay frozen. if it isn't frozen already, i really don't know wether it would mix quick enough to not freeze. though truthfully it can become cold enough to turn thrown boiling water into snow before sea-water will freeze [kidding]Anyone who is currently on one the polar caps please find the nearest bit of sea and pour some standard water into it, if you can manage to keep it liquid long enough and tell us what happens.[/kidding]

of course this is real life stuff, what happens in df could be entierly different. it does seem to operate on slightly different physics after all

Kern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 04:17:10 pm »

if you place pre-frozen plain water in it though it will stay frozen.
That's what I meant, if you already have freshwater ice and you drop it into the ocean, I'd assume the ocean is already cold enough to maintain (and not thaw) the ice since you have any kind of ice in the first place

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:48:35 pm »

no. not at all. saltwater's freezing point is below zero, in some cases well below. so ice would not form unelss it is REALLY cold. if you place pre-frozen plain water in it though it will stay frozen. if it isn't frozen already, i really don't know wether it would mix quick enough to not freeze. though truthfully it can become cold enough to turn thrown boiling water into snow before sea-water will freeze [kidding]Anyone who is currently on one the polar caps please find the nearest bit of sea and pour some standard water into it, if you can manage to keep it liquid long enough and tell us what happens.[/kidding]

of course this is real life stuff, what happens in df could be entierly different. it does seem to operate on slightly different physics after all
Eg rain or a river outlet often only partly mixes with the sea water, and forms a layer of less saline water on the top, which freezes earlier than ther rest of the sea. It is not uncommon to see ice form first in fjords and near river outlets. Also, the sea can often freeze over earlier if there was a period of rain just before the cold set in.  That's my personal experience anyway.

As for the op, I think it will work. Try it(tm) and find out :)  bucket brigade ftw!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »

The salt in the ocean can affect the (freshwater) ice, though. Just as salting icy roads can thaw them unless it's super-cold.

So it'd make just as much sense for ice hitting the ocean to melt and mix with the salt water.

Interesting to try and see, though...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 02:09:01 pm »

That's what I thought.

I guess we just need someone to try this out now.

More info-

I was breaching a multi-level aquifer using magma/water.  After channeling out a layer of obsidian, about 85% of the remaining obsidian shell - which was nowhere near any active magma, registered as "warm stone". 

So, apparently, there is some actual modeling of heat transfer, to one extent or another.

(There are other elements in the game that imply a fairly complex modeling going on behind the scenes, esp w/ temperature, from observing weather and its effects on diff things.)
Pages: [1] 2 3