Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?  (Read 2669 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »

I think thats just the windmill freezing and locking the whole chain?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 11:51:21 pm »

I think frozen machinery takes twice as much power or something, not sure.

But gearboxxes should freeze just the same, and much easier to set up, and show the frost lines to the tile

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 12:00:34 am »

The problem with pumping water to form ice is that gear assemblies will freeze in place below a certain temperature.
???
I've never seen or heard of that, could you provide a movie?

It's easy enough to try for yourself. Try powering a screw pump with a windmill in a freezing biome. It doesn't have to pump anything, of course, but it won't be able to because the machinery is frozen, and it will display this when you 'q' over the buildings..

This sounded simple enough, so I embarked a mountainside tundra (both biomes described as "freezing") and gave it a quick shot.  Windmill, gear assemblies, and pump functioned normally throughout my observation.  Maybe my map only actually gets cold enough for this during the winter, or it takes a while for the frost to build up, or something.

Point being that it's not so simple, and I don't really have the patience to set up a permanent antarctic research station, so someone else may have to delve into this matter.  It'd be nice if you just posted a screenshot or two of a setup in which this occurs for further researchers to observe and imitate.  Given the possible differences in sites, a save file - or at least worldgen parameters - may also prove to be of use.

I think thats just the windmill freezing and locking the whole chain?

Possible set-up for testing:  Set up four chains of gear assemblies.  First two are powered by windmill, second two are powered by underground waterwheels.  (Cave river, aquifer, perpetual motion machine, whatever.)  Second and fourth chains of gear assemblies heated from below by magma pipeline.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:05:25 am by Syff »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 04:45:58 pm »

I played around a bit.

It turned out that machine parts built on a natural ice floor would show "frozen here" where you normally see "active" or "inactive". The entire system would stop running, with all other parts reading "frozen elsewhere."
There seemed to be some bugs with the propagation of the "frozen elsewhere" designation, where it would sometimes remain in the system even after removal of the frozen part, requiring some parts to be removed and rebuilt to reset them.
Machine parts built on constructed floors, even ones made of ice, worked fine, as did parts built on natural stone floors.
This worked the same way whether things were built indoors or outdoors, including outdoor stone floors in a freezing biome.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.
Pages: 1 2 [3]