Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?  (Read 2664 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Ice Drops in Ocean: Possible?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 02:49:22 pm »

If this works, you MUST tell us, Albedo.

I am already itching to try constructing a dwarf city suspended on a giant ice pillar above the ocean.

Hell, for that matter, it would be pretty rad to construct the whole city out of ice in a freezing biome...

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 10:34:33 am »

Fun fact - 0 degrees F is the temperature at which SEAwater freezes.  Yay nonstandard units!
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 10:50:40 am »

Fun fact - 0 degrees F is the temperature at which SEAwater freezes.  Yay nonstandard units!

So... 10,000 DF degree?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:40:36 pm »

Okay, I was idling about in DF while I was waiting for stuff to happen, and I decided to test this.

Freezing water over an ocean is impossible. It appears that the water is artificially kept unfrozen, so it's probably a hack of some sort. This extends over the ocean biome, which includes the water and the sand beach.

I tested this in multiple stages. I pumped sea water directly from the ocean to nowhere in particular, and that didn't freeze. So I built a pump directly on top of that one, just to make sure that the ground wasn't preventing the sea water from freezing. That, too, didn't work.

So I tried pumping towards the mainland, towards the freezing taiga I had settled on. The water remained unfrozen, until it touched the first tiles of the taiga. Then it froze. This was a curious result, so I built a well over the ocean, and had dwarves pour water in various places to see how they would freeze. I also built a well over the aquifer, and tested where water from that would freeze.

If my dwarves dumped ocean water onto the taiga, it would just disappear. If they dumped ocean water over the ocean, there would be puddles of 1/7 water. If I dumped salty aquifer water over the taiga, it would freeze, and if I dumped salty aquifer water over the ocean, there would be puddles of 1/7 water.

So then I performed a final test. Using my two pump tower, I poured water into a small enclosure on the sand that was designed to overflow towards the taiga. As expected, the water remained liquid, until it overflowed onto the taiga, where it immediately froze, thus giving me a pool of water.

So, in conclusion, sorry guys, no ice castles in the ocean.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

alphafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 05:02:19 pm »

Unless... Ice blocks? Will they "melt" before being built into a wall? Will a built icewall "melt"?
Urist cancels write signature: Interrupted by DF Release

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:41 pm »

Well, yes, ice stones (since they can't be made into blocks) can be built over the ocean, and they won't melt, but the point of the thread was to see if natural ice walls could be collapsed to build a smoothable, engraveable ice castle in the ocean. And that won't work, unfortunately.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 07:14:17 am »

Well, Jim, thanks for running the experiment. Slightly disappointing results, but it may prove useful in the future for creating cisterns.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 07:30:08 am »

Okay, I was idling about in DF while I was waiting for stuff to happen, and I decided to test this.

Freezing water over an ocean is impossible. It appears that the water is artificially kept unfrozen, so it's probably a hack of some sort. This extends over the ocean biome, which includes the water and the sand beach.

I tested this in multiple stages. I pumped sea water directly from the ocean to nowhere in particular, and that didn't freeze. So I built a pump directly on top of that one, just to make sure that the ground wasn't preventing the sea water from freezing. That, too, didn't work.

So I tried pumping towards the mainland, towards the freezing taiga I had settled on. The water remained unfrozen, until it touched the first tiles of the taiga. Then it froze. This was a curious result, so I built a well over the ocean, and had dwarves pour water in various places to see how they would freeze. I also built a well over the aquifer, and tested where water from that would freeze.

If my dwarves dumped ocean water onto the taiga, it would just disappear. If they dumped ocean water over the ocean, there would be puddles of 1/7 water. If I dumped salty aquifer water over the taiga, it would freeze, and if I dumped salty aquifer water over the ocean, there would be puddles of 1/7 water.

So then I performed a final test. Using my two pump tower, I poured water into a small enclosure on the sand that was designed to overflow towards the taiga. As expected, the water remained liquid, until it overflowed onto the taiga, where it immediately froze, thus giving me a pool of water.

Have you 'purified' the waters first?

IE: Making a huge storage pit that is enclosed by artificial walls and floors, and oceanic waters are pumped there.

Should make them pure water again.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »

Have you 'purified' the waters first?

IE: Making a huge storage pit that is enclosed by artificial walls and floors, and oceanic waters are pumped there.

Should make them pure water again.

I doubt that would do anything. Salt water from the ocean froze just fine when it reached the taiga biome, so saltiness isn't the problem keeping water from freezing.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 07:23:18 am »

It seems more that saltyness is a location property, rather than a material quality, seeing as water becomes saline passing through an salt-aquifer level, even with no contact.

Can you make desalinized water over the ocean?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:29 am »

Or maybe its just because the ocean biome is always above freezing. 
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 08:14:39 pm »

The problem with pumping water to form ice is that gear assemblies will freeze in place below a certain temperature.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 08:43:05 pm »

Yes, I'd like to see a control for this. I understand that no water would ever freeze in Groovester's ocean biome, but what if there was actually a temperature difference between the ocean and the taiga rather than just a "water in ocean biomes can't freeze" rule?

The problem with pumping water to form ice is that gear assemblies will freeze in place below a certain temperature.
???
I've never seen or heard of that, could you provide a movie?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 09:37:44 pm »

Yes, I'd like to see a control for this. I understand that no water would ever freeze in Groovester's ocean biome, but what if there was actually a temperature difference between the ocean and the taiga rather than just a "water in ocean biomes can't freeze" rule?

I actually took a look at this using dtil, embarking in a freezing region that had both an ocean and plains with frozen ponds. While the ponds had a temperature of 10000 (32°F, 0°C) and were frozen, the ocean had a temperature of 9998 (30°F, about -1°C) and was very much not frozen. By comparison, the surrounding stone had a temperature of 10015 (47°F, about 8°C).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »

???
I've never seen or heard of that, could you provide a movie?

It's easy enough to try for yourself. Try powering a screw pump with a windmill in a freezing biome. It doesn't have to pump anything, of course, but it won't be able to because the machinery is frozen, and it will display this when you 'q' over the buildings..
Pages: 1 [2] 3