Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Vision  (Read 1035 times)

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Vision
« on: September 11, 2009, 04:46:34 pm »

Inaccesible=Invisable, Aesthetics vs. possible safety issues what do you think?

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Vision
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:54:06 pm »

So the sky would be black, cliffs can not be seen and the inner workings of your aqueduct can not be seen? I'd rather have a radius around dwarves than this.
This is -ing good wood!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:57:27 pm »

So the sky would be black, cliffs can not be seen and the inner workings of your aqueduct can not be seen? I'd rather have a radius around dwarves than this.

Yeah, and they can't see attackers outside a locked fortress, etc.  No shortage of problems with that approach.

Good vision puts a huge load on the CPU, there's no way around it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:07:34 pm »

I think the 'load' aspect isn't really a problem, nor is the raiders.  If you read the suggestion, he's just saying the inaccesible areas are blank.  Unless you wall yourself into the fort, they'd be able to see outside.

It's a good way to fix possible digging opponent problems (wall them up and they go blank) with data that's already calculated (the existing pathfinding map)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:08:41 pm »

I think the 'load' aspect isn't really a problem, nor is the raiders.  If you read the suggestion, he's just saying the inaccesible areas are blank.  Unless you wall yourself into the fort, they'd be able to see outside.

Or if you lock the doors.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:16:02 pm »

Inaccessible doesn't really work.  If you built watch towers around a completely walled-in fort, you'd have dwarves staring into darkness.

It does need some revision, but I trust Toady has something in mind.  I think the new caverns already have some exploration effects, so it doesn't all show up at once.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:34:58 pm »

Or if you lock the doors.

Seems reasonable, though... you lock your dwarves in, and all of a sudden they don't know what's going on outside?

Inaccessible doesn't really work.  If you built watch towers around a completely walled-in fort, you'd have dwarves staring into darkness.

Good point....  I'll yield on that one

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 12:05:08 am »

sorry that first post was so rushed, but I didn't have much time and I had to get that idea out or else I would have forgotten it.

The reason I bring this up is because I was extracting ore from an early fortress, like carving out the walls to get at this and that, and of course after walling it up it will still look different and ugly and all the "prettyness" of the fortress doesn't help the gaping asymetrical tunnels dug in my fortress, so what if after your dwarves wall it up you can not see it either, as they wouldn't be able to

Maybe only dwarf-made walls would obstruct vision?

Like somebody else mentioned, limited vision is very roguelike-ish, maybe windows could let you see beyond in respect to the distance to the window.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 04:41:56 pm »

Yes, but fort mode isn't a roguelike, at all.

I think the best idea (and one Toady has commented favorably upon) is to allow players to hide certain parts of the map, much like you can hide objects.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:25:25 am »

If you have ever reclaimed a fortress before, you will find that areas which are walled of are invisible until your dwarves break into them.

example: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1570-breachingthevault

The same algorithm could be used in real-time during fortress mode.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 01:01:16 am »

so if there is no conceivable way your dwarves could see any tile in that group of connected tiles than they are all black. But if there is a possibility of seeing any of them then you can see all of them?  Works for me.
The great game of Warlocks!

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 02:30:51 am »

Well to meet the nay-sayers halfway there could be a trigger on every wall you construct

Transparent? (Y/N)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 02:05:55 pm »

An INI option defaulting to OFF would be more advisable, as to not annoy new players, seeing as how this is fortress mode and you are not a single dwarf it would make no sense if you can only see what your dwarves see.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:08:37 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 02:50:15 pm »

An INI option defaulting to OFF would be more advisable, as to not annoy new players, seeing as how this is fortress mode and you are not a single dwarf it would make no sense if you can only see what your dwarves see.

That's how fog of war works in most RTS's....  (You can't see what your units can't see)

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:21 pm »

Here is where I got my inspiration, I was digging out my fortress when I came across valuable ore, so I dug it out and was left with a severly lopsided central traffic shaft.  I got to thinking wouldn't it be great if I could rebuild a wall that matches the rest of the shaft and then the carved out space would disapear? (but not fill in of course)

I would conjure up an ASCII diagram but I am not a magician, I would use a third party movie maker but I am  too lazy  :D

P.S. by traffic shaft I mean a centrally located room that is filled with staircases and empty space to increase the ease of transporting large groups of dwarves and resources up, down, and around each z-level.