Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion  (Read 13440 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2009, 10:04:30 pm »

Dark shouldn't double damage on light, I think. Not sure if half is appropriate, I'd wait on sims. as-is a dark cabal will stomp a celest e'en more thn usual, which seems opposite the intent.

Healing boost doesn't make much sense fluffwise.

MAYBE a +1 all attrs. Light magic being more powerful than others.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2009, 10:07:36 pm »

The Celestial Mage needs more to make them useful. Right now, while they don't help Dark wizards when they assists, Cabal frequently won't have Dark as an Element. And in combat a Dark wizard will almost always use Dark, so all using Light does is mean both are doing double-damage. Not very good for the Celestial mage.

So, thoughts on improving them?

One idea is to give them a permanent Healing boost of +2.

@Cobalt: Right now Dark and Light oppose one another the same way the normal Elements do.
DON'T IMPROVE EVERY ROLE!

It's fine as it is.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2009, 10:08:28 pm »

Dark doing more damage to light was a needed draw to using it right?

Now allowing the Celestial to do more assist and have slight natural buffs would give it some reason.

Also,as a person having used the celestial,he needs something badly,he just feels slightly boring.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 06, 2009, 10:21:05 pm »

The thing is, the +2 to all stats already gives Cabal a huge statistical advantage. Dark then renders them vulnerable to Light; a damage type that may not even be in the game.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2009, 10:27:41 pm »

What if we give the celestials +2 to healing(and that ONLY) and +3s to assisting tower with light, while cabal get their defense and healing reduced to only +1,but assisting them with dark gives a +3?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2009, 10:28:31 pm »

Dark doing more damage to light was a needed draw to using it right?

Now allowing the Celestial to do more assist and have slight natural buffs would give it some reason.

Also,as a person having used the celestial,he needs something badly,he just feels slightly boring.
He doesn't need anything. Not every power role needs to have +5 Powers Of Awesomeness. You don't even need power roles to win a game of mafia.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2009, 10:45:58 pm »

When the lynch-substitute requires mechanical or numerical advantage, yes, you actually might.

a vanilla tower vs a vanilla cabal loses basically guaranteed, unless cabal picks wrong element and tower picks right. Choosing dark eliminates both, and if it's dark v. light, that two-point difference works in favor of the cabal e'en more than usual on a role designed to counter dark mages.

You need...what, four assists to roughly even a battle, elements non-considered?

You don't need PRs to win a game of mafia...but there's a battle, not a lynch.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2009, 11:41:44 pm »

Yeah, the issue in this case is that the Celestial Mage is supposed to be an interesting anti-Cabal wizard, but right now he's really not good at doing anything other then not assisting them. I don't think the Celestial Mage needs to be particularly powerful, but I don't want them to be useless either.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2009, 12:00:24 am »

It might be worth looking at toning down the Cabal stat boosts to +1 across the board, instead of +2, since the latter is a huge advantage, and if the Cabal land a battle role without a Justicar in the game, well...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2009, 12:01:03 am »

Yeah, the issue in this case is that the Celestial Mage is supposed to be an interesting anti-Cabal wizard, but right now he's really not good at doing anything other then not assisting them. I don't think the Celestial Mage needs to be particularly powerful, but I don't want them to be useless either.
It's still a power role as it is, and it's fine the way it is.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2009, 12:09:30 am »

It might be worth looking at toning down the Cabal stat boosts to +1 across the board, instead of +2, since the latter is a huge advantage, and if the Cabal land a battle role without a Justicar
grey mage.
Tilesets

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2009, 12:12:18 am »

It might be worth looking at toning down the Cabal stat boosts to +1 across the board, instead of +2, since the latter is a huge advantage, and if the Cabal land a battle role without a Justicar
grey mage.
Shaddup Shaddup Shaddup Shaddup.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2009, 02:33:37 am »

It's still a power role as it is, and it's fine the way it is.

Actually, the Celestial mage is just really poor at doing his one and only job: Killing dark wizards. I liked the idea suggested awhile back where Light is good against Dark but deals half damage to anything else. Dark should also do half damage to a Light wizard, although normal damage if they use a normal element. That would be more of a nerf, generally, but they really should CRUSH Dark Cabal wizards, especially if they attack with Darkness.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »

Not a bad idea.

And I think I'll change the rules so that Light and Dark mages can't explicitly use their power. They'll have to mask it. I don't want it to be easy to get confirmed Tower wizards.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2009, 01:29:29 pm »

And I think I'll change the rules so that Light and Dark mages can't explicitly use their power. They'll have to mask it. I don't want it to be easy to get confirmed Tower wizards.
Except for final battles,my jaw drops at the epicness of a fight between pure light and pure darkness for the title of High Mage.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10