Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion  (Read 13433 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »

Hmm...thinking about it, I think I need to remove the +1 to assists for Dark energy. It's way too powerful for the Cabal to have higher stats and be able to give each other a +4 every time they do an assist.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:27 pm »

Hmm...thinking about it, I think I need to remove the +1 to assists for Dark energy. It's way too powerful for the Cabal to have higher stats and be able to give each other a +4 every time they do an assist.
Maybe just give them the ability to do it. That way, a Dark Battle Mage could give a +4 and not a +6. Or do you think that's still too bad?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2009, 11:10:20 pm »

Well, that's what I mean. They can use it for assists, but they only give a base of 1 for everything instead of 2. Same way if you do anything with fire other then Attack it's just a 1 assist.

So, yeah, a normal Cabal assist to another Cabal with Dark will be +2 to whatever.
A Cabal Battle mage could give a +4 to Defense, a War Mage +4 to attack, and so on.

I think that's useful but not as overpowered.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2009, 11:19:50 pm »

But why Assist with Dark? Just assist with Fire if you want attack, Earth if you want Defence etc; there's no reason to assist with Dark if it's exactly the same bonus as using an Element.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2009, 11:28:36 pm »

But why Assist with Dark? Just assist with Fire if you want attack, Earth if you want Defence etc; there's no reason to assist with Dark if it's exactly the same bonus as using an Element.
Well, you'd get double, instead of +1. So, yes you could, if you wanted to blend in. But, if you're a Battle Mage, you'll need to use Dark for a bigger boost.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:27 pm »

If i assist Attack with Fire and the person i'm assisting isn't Fire i increase his attack by +2.

Meph seems to be saying that if i assist Attack with Dark, if that mage is also Dark then i will increase his attack by +2.

Where's the advantage in assisting with Dark?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2009, 08:28:59 am »

If i assist Attack with Fire and the person i'm assisting isn't Fire i increase his attack by +2.

Meph seems to be saying that if i assist Attack with Dark, if that mage is also Dark then i will increase his attack by +2.

Where's the advantage in assisting with Dark?
If the assistee is Dark... ?

Although, now no other players give +2 to the Dark Wizards, so it might not be worth it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2009, 10:26:09 pm »

So far i'm not really seeing an advantage to getting Dark; You trade an advantage and a disadvantage away to get more reliable, but as a direct result you also become substantially easier to detect.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2009, 08:05:37 am »

Uh...Meph?

When is Round 2 starting?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2009, 08:31:40 am »

He's coming back from a camping trip on Tuesday I guess.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2009, 04:05:17 pm »

In addition to the celestial mage/holy mage/whatever, maybe you could add a town role that has a dark element. In addition, you could possibly steal Fire Emblem's Trinity of Magic: dark is good against Elemental, Light is good against Dark, and Elemental is good against light. This gives cabal reason to take dark, but if the town has a light mage, things get bad for them. Second, possibly a role that can change an attacker's attacking element/type?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2009, 09:39:29 pm »

Got back a little early, but I think the game will still start Tuesday since I want to get the Dark rules hashed out.

I think the reliability of Dark is an acceptable trade off for the risk of a Seer catching you. After all, there has to be a Tower Seer in the game, and since this game is pretty small there isn't any guarantee of any detection roles whatsoever.

I think I'll keep Dark as I last laid it out without the +1. Dark will not oppose any of the normal elements. It will oppose Light. Dark can be used to Attack or Assist, but will be masked as whatever element the Dark wizard desires.

I'll add in a Celestial Mage who uses Light as his element.
Come play Mafia with us!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2009, 09:53:21 pm »

If I read correctly,
It(light) allows an easier time against Dark (unless Dark also has advantage against light) and will assist Dark mages less than usual. If useful enough, it pressures cabal to pick a different affinity, along with the affine-cop.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »

The Celestial Mage needs more to make them useful. Right now, while they don't help Dark wizards when they assists, Cabal frequently won't have Dark as an Element. And in combat a Dark wizard will almost always use Dark, so all using Light does is mean both are doing double-damage. Not very good for the Celestial mage.

So, thoughts on improving them?

One idea is to give them a permanent Healing boost of +2.

@Cobalt: Right now Dark and Light oppose one another the same way the normal Elements do.
Come play Mafia with us!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2009, 09:57:37 pm »

What about giving a +3 to tower combatants when assisting with light?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10