Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion  (Read 13436 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:47 am »

Hmmm. Another option would be to have it give a boost to the starting Health of the Wizard instead of damage reduction. I'll have to play with the numbers, but that will give a trade-off between how much damage is taken on a hit and how much can be taken total. Perhaps +2 to health for each point.
That'd be a good trade-off.

Also, try and play a bit more with Speed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2009, 11:51:59 am »

So far, my tests seem to indicate that a +4 to health is equal to a +2 defense, everything else being equal. But I'll set up some more simulations to see how it works out in the long run.

Speed does seem a bit weak, doesn't it? While going first is helpful, and can help you win a close fight, it's probably not as good as having extra defense or attack. Perhaps if speed boosts were doubled the same way that I'm doubling health?

Your idea of making it 10-ticks or whatever in between attacks sounds interesting, although I'd have to completely rewrite the combat script to handle it that way.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2009, 11:57:19 am »

So far, my tests seem to indicate that a +4 to health is equal to a +2 defense, everything else being equal. But I'll set up some more simulations to see how it works out in the long run.

Speed does seem a bit weak, doesn't it? While going first is helpful, and can help you win a close fight, it's probably not as good as having extra defense or attack. Perhaps if speed boosts were doubled the same way that I'm doubling health?

Your idea of making it 10-ticks or whatever in between attacks sounds interesting, although I'd have to completely rewrite the combat script to handle it that way.
Well, if you want to keep your script, try to make Speed have some other effect. As it is, it's just there. I felt like it could have a bit more jazz than that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:11 pm »

How about this idea?

The way initiative works right now, each side rolls +10/-10 and adds their speed. Higher speed goes first.

What if I added in a speed buffer that goes up the difference that you won the speed check by. When that buffer is full, you get an extra attack.

For example:

Wizard A gets a speed check of 14, Wizard B gets a speed check of 10. Wizard A goes first this round, and adds 4 to his speed buffer.

When the speed buffer hits 10, he gets an extra attack that round.

Shouldn't be too hard to add in. I'll run some tests with that idea at some point today.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2009, 12:05:08 pm »

That would work. I think it'll give Speed a better chance. Time Mages will be super fast. And get several more attacks. Which is what they should be.

It might need a little bit more on the extra attack to make sure it's not TOO powerful. Maybe the Speed Buffer needs about 20 to get an extra attack. But, yeah, that's pretty good.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2009, 01:42:26 pm »

Finished my tests with Healing, and here is what I've decided to go with.

Healing is now a regeneration factor. Each wizard with at least 1 point of healing has a 5% chance per round of healing some damage. (1-Healing#). I know that doesn't sound like much, but in an even fight the chance to heal back lost damage every round makes a big difference. The basic trade-off between Healing and Defense is still the same. If your opponent chooses your opposite Element, Defense is better. If they choose the same Element, Healing is a much better choice.

Of course, all of that is when it's an even fight. If the opponent has a much higher Attack power, defense is the way to go. If they have a lower attack power, Healing will be more useful.

All in all, I think that balances the two out while making the choice more interesting.

EDIT: Disregard the above for now. Found a bug in my code that is messing things up, so I'll have to tweak the formula some more.

Next up: Speed tweaks! Most of that will probably be playing with the buffer amounts for the extra attack, but I'll have to see what %s I get with large numbers of runs.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:29:35 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2009, 03:51:48 pm »

Sounds good! Cant wait for next round.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »

Ok, I think I have Speed and Healing figured out. Both are Hybrid effects.

Speed does three things for you.
1) You have a better chance of attacking and being Healed first
2) You gain a boost to both attack and defense when you go first (gaining 1/4 the difference of your Initiative and your opponent's initiative to both stats)
3) You occasionally gain an extra attack during a round where you win initiative

Healing now does two things for you.
1) You regenerate a number of hit points each round equal to your healing score
2) Your damage after the Attack/Defense rolls are done is reduced by some amount of your healing score (0 - (Score-1) ).

Neither of these stats is as powerful as Defense or Attack by itself. However, a mage with Speed and another boost or Healing and another boost can be more powerful then a mage with just boosts to Defense or Attack, since the Hybrid boosts compliment each other and Attack/Defense boosts quite well.

So, basically, a well-rounded mage can be more powerful then a mage that's just stacked in one stat and lacking in the others. Which I like.

Here are two examples, one for Speed and one for Healing.

Speed:
  Wizard A has a speed of 10 and Wizard B has a speed of 12. Wizard A gets an initiative roll of 8 and Wizard B gets an initiative roll of 12.
  Wizard B goes first, gets 4 points added to his speed buffer (when he reaches 10 he gets an extra attack), and gets a +1 to both Attack and Defense for this round.

Healing:
  Wizard A has a healing score of 4. Each round he heals back 4 points of damage (up to his max). When he takes damage, his healing runes prevent 0-3 points of damage.

Overall, my tests show things to be fairly balanced. Certain combinations at certain levels will be better or worse, but considering how little information most players are working off of, I doubt gaming the system will really be possible with any reliability.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »

Back to Dark Affinity:

What are people's thoughts on the idea I had for it earlier?

I think I will allow a Cabal Wizard who has the Dark Affinity to attack with Dark energy as well. They can mask it as whatever element they want, but being Dark it means that never has a chance of matching a tower wizard's affinity. Also, a Dark wizard with the Dark affinity can Assist using Dark energy (masked, of course), which grants a +1 to any type of assist.

Too powerful? Still too risky to be worth it? Just right?
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2009, 07:14:40 pm »

Back to Dark Affinity:

What are people's thoughts on the idea I had for it earlier?

I think I will allow a Cabal Wizard who has the Dark Affinity to attack with Dark energy as well. They can mask it as whatever element they want, but being Dark it means that never has a chance of matching a tower wizard's affinity. Also, a Dark wizard with the Dark affinity can Assist using Dark energy (masked, of course), which grants a +1 to any type of assist.

Too powerful? Still too risky to be worth it? Just right?
No, it's not that it's not risky. It's that this has very little risk. I'd've chosen Seer if I were anybody else. And basically, Seer gives up himself for a Dark Wizard. If every Cabal choose Dark, then boom. Now it's automatically awesome. Seers can't stop three Darks.

Also, the attacking thing is riskier. If you fight someone with an opposite or same element, everyone could tell by the battle that there's a problem. The Assist thing is cool. Will matching elements still give a boost? And how will boosting work with Dark?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:42 pm »

Ok, let me break this idea down a bit. Might help us all figure it out.

Dark Element acts like a fifth 'hidden' Element available only for Cabal.
  You must have the Dark Affinity to Attack or Assist with Dark Energy. When doing so you mask it as another Element type of your choice.
  Unlike the normal Four Elements, it has no Opposite. Therefore, assisting with Dark energy will always have the basic effect.
  Dark energy is powerful, and gives a +1 bonus to all Assist types (Effectively making its base as good as, say, Fire for Attack or Earth for Defense boosts)
  Dark energy will still have double the effect when assisting other mages with the Dark Affinity.
  When used to attack, Dark Energy will do normal damage to any other Elemental Affinity and Half to a mage with Dark Affinity.
  The Dark Affinity will mark you as Cabal to a Seer.

Hmm...sounds quite powerful if all the Cabal take it. And if there is no Seer on the Tower side the added risk is minimal.

Maybe I should add an interesting effect, like having Dark Energy have Half effect when used on a Justicar or something. That would make fighting other mages using Dark Energy riskier, since you'll probably lose if you end up in the ring with a Justicar.
Come play Mafia with us!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2009, 07:29:29 pm »

Still, if something goes wrong (it might be easy enough to tell if you're only doing half damage), then the cabal could identify a Justicar and 'remove' him during the next duel.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2009, 07:31:21 pm »

That just makes the Justicar more powerful. Maybe there could be another role with the "Light" Affinity, which gains double effect against Dark affinity users (And half damage). They don't gain extra from boosts, and they have the same effects as Dark, except they can't assist with it.

They also look very suspicious in battles and a Cabal can claim something if it looks odd. Eh?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:33 pm »

Hmmm, yeah a Celestial Mage or something might be cool.
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »

A priest? :P
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10