Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion  (Read 13435 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: New Mafia idea: Wizard Duel
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

Sure, give it a try. You can use whatever variant you like for the rules. I'm going to keep thinking about the system, and I'll run my version of it (whatever that ends up being) when I get a chance.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 02:03:23 am »

Thanks. I'm running a Mafia myself ATM, but i'll make a Magic one once it's over.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 01:20:06 pm »

I think the abilities should be secret, since you can find the most powerful people easily. Make it so that you know what ROLES did what to whom, instead of the players.

Also, remove the Healer. Then keep roleflips.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 02:12:15 pm »

Ok, after pondering and taking in the suggestions, here is my idea:

Basic idea is the same. The first part of each day is the Vote Phase to determine the Duelists.
The second part of each day is the Duel phase. Here the two Duelists will fight one another. The Watching players may each choose to Assist one of the two Duelists. Some players will also be allowed to perform a Side Action in addition to the assist. The Dark Cabal may also choose one of their members to incapacitate a player as a side action each day.

Now, for the stats:

All Wizards start with the following stats:

10 Attack
10 Defense
10 Health
10 Speed

The Dark Wizards of the Cabal use Forbidden magic to enhance their abilities, and have the following stats:
12 Attack
12 Defense
12 Health
12 Speed

Each player choose an Element at the beginning of the game (Fire, Earth, Water, Air). This is your affinity. All actions used on you by other mages are effected by your affinity. You get X2 effect if they use your affinity and 1/2 effect (rounded down) if they use the opposite affinity and the base effect if they use the other two. (Fire->Water, Air->Earth). Dark Wizards can choose the special Dark element, which does not line up with any of the other affinities. This makes them somewhat more predictable in combat (since they don't have to worry about elemental strength and weakness), but also makes them vulnerable to detection by a Seer.

During the duel each of the Duelists will pick an Element to attack with and will defend with their Affinity. Attacks using the Element Opposite to the defenders affinity will do double damage. Attacks using the same Element as the defender's affinity will do half damage.

Each duel will be done in rounds. At the start of each round an initiative roll will be made to see who makes the first action (so speed can be vital). The winner of the initiative will Attack, and then the other mage will get a counter-attack if they are still standing. The duel ends when either mage has 0 or fewer health remaining.

Observing mages effect the combat by casting an assist spell on one of the mages. The assist is one of the following:
Attack boost (+1 to mage's attack score)
Defense boost (+1 to mage's defense score)
Healing (-1 to all damage the mage receives)
Speed boost (+1 to the mage's initiative)

When making an assist:
Using Fire grants a +1 to Attack actions
Using Earth grants a +1 to Defense actions
Using Water grants a +1 to Healing actions
Using Air grants a +1 to Speed boost actions

The Assist and what Element is used in the assist is shown to everyone.

The Attack action is resolved as Attackers total Attack +/- random(10) vs Defenders total Defense +/- random(10).
Damage is the Total attack number - the Total defense number.

Special Roles:

Duelist Roles: These wizards are skilled in magic that effects the Duel, and may have advantages in the Duel themselves

War Mage: Has superior offensive magic, and can grant a bigger then usual offensive boost to another mage when assisting a Duel.
  +2 to Attack attribute
  +1 to all Attack Boosts

Battle Mage: Is skilled in personal combat, giving them an edge when defending and can grant a bigger then usual defensive boost to another mage when assisting a Duel.
  +2 to Defense attribute
  +1 to all Defense Boosts

Warrior Mage: Trained in both martial and magical combat, the Warrior Mage can shrug off hits that would incapacitate other mages.
  +5 to Health attribute

Time Mage: Skilled in manipulating the energies of time, the Time Mage is swifter then most other mages, and can grant a bigger speed boost to other mages.
  +2 to Speed attribute
  +1 to all Speed Boosts   

Healer: Has powerful Healing Magic
  +2 to all Healing actions

Subtle Wizard: He specializes in casting magic unseen, and his Assist actions are not reported to the other players.

Archmage: A very powerful mage, he has a major advantage when dueling other mages.
  +5 to all attributes

Side-Action Roles: These wizards can take actions during the Duel that effect other mages not in the Duel.

Nullifier: Skilled in the ways of anti-magic, the nullifier can choose one mage each day and prevent them from effecting the Duel. 

Enchanter: Using their enhanced mind magic, the Enchanter can prevent another Wizard from taking any side-actions that day.

Guardian: Carefully watches over another Wizard and can prevent them from becoming incapacitated by side-actions during the Duel.

Oracle: Can use their magic to see if another Wizard performs any side-actions during the Duel.

Justicar: A Wizard seeking the destruction of the Dark Cabal. Can examine a Wizard as a side-action to determine if they are part of the Cabal.

Grey Mage: Taking justice into his own hands, he can incapacitate a player each day as a side-action.

Seer: He can examine one player each day as a side action to learn their Affinity.

I'm going to try making up a program to run the duels. Once that's made I'll run through a bunch of tests and adjust the numbers as necessary.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard Duel Rules Discussion
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 02:53:54 pm »

Ok, so I've finished up my script and my tests seem to be working out ok. I have a few more specific tests I want to run, but I think it is a least mostly balanced properly.

The idea being that not only do you have to choose correctly in getting the Dark Wizards to end up in a Duel, you need to pick which of the duelists you boost. Generally speaking, a Dark Wizard will win the duel unless he's either really unlucky or the rest of the Wizards aid the townie.

Since that seems to be the case right now, I will probably start a game this afternoon.

Anyone see any major issues with the rule set before I start?
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:38 pm »

Ideally you'd get two dark wizards to face off, but that's gonna be tough.  I guess, on the other hand, that if someone wins a dual with the odds stacked heavily against him, that's gonna be a bit of a scumtell.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »

I like it!

Since I'm dead in half the current mafias I'm meant to be in, I'll definitely join this.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »

At the very least, it sounds like something interesting to playtest.  If it's horribly broken, then it can always be tweaked...
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:49 pm »

Yeah, this first run definitely has a chance of being horribly broken in some way. But it'll be interesting no matter what.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 03:06:09 pm »

The first run of something will always have bugs, and I guess playtesting will help iron em out.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 03:23:28 pm »

Ok, Sign ups have started! I've added the people who seemed like they definitely wanted to be in. If you're on that list and don't want to be, just let me know.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 04:01:59 pm »

Here is an example battle from my script with 8 random players:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:24 pm »

Hehe, looks good.  I think ToonyMan's defence boost made up for his use of the wrong element...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 04:07:59 pm »

Yeah. It's pretty good about it. While luck can play a part, and picking the right elements can really help, your stats usually determine who wins. So I think it'll be a nice balance between normal mafia determinism and luck to spice things up.

So, yeah, choose wisely when picking who to aid.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »

It looks like defense boosts and healing are the exact same thing. A -1 damage reduction is functionally equivalent to a +1 defense boost.

I was thinking that healing could be game breaking, because if enough wizards cast healing on a duelist, that would make him very difficult to defeat, but the same effect could be achieved from the same number of defense boosts.

So, no balance issues I can immediately detect, but maybe in the future healing can be replaced with some other effect, other than an effective carbon copy of defense boosts. Maybe just a simple boost to health, or something like that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10