Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Journal of Sir Woge and his (kind of) lands: Snakesfreckles  (Read 26633 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: The Journal of Sir Woge and his (kind of) lands: Snakesfreckles
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:20 am »

*It seems that two pages were torn off here*

10th Moonstone, year 3.
No nightmares. No melting skin or burning hair in them. To forget about them even more I threw those two pages into a pool. And I've done that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

13th Moonstone, year 3.
I've grabbed random miner and asked if there's magma somewhere. He was suprised, but after quick examination, he told me that's gabbro so near surface might indicate magma.

18th Moonstone, year 3
I had a meeting with Woge. Gave him plans. Also, while I was leaving, I said "I knew how Pestrat will end" and left before he could ask me anything.

20th Moonstone, year 3.
I grabbed the same miner that before and told him to dig into ground and don't emerge from there until he finds some magma.

22th Moonstone, year 3.
Stupid miner. He begs for food. Dead miner isn't useful, so I let him get something to eat.
*added later*
Woge. Angry about me being oppresive to that miner. Damn royalist lapdogs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:16:07 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:32 am »

The place is really starting to look like a real town! Good to see updates again.

By the way, have you considered of constructing articulated roofs out of ramps? IMHO they look really nice with wooden huts, larger buildings might even get a little attic above them to store supplies.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2009, 01:31:15 pm »

The place is really starting to look like a real town! Good to see updates again.

By the way, have you considered of constructing articulated roofs out of ramps? IMHO they look really nice with wooden huts, larger buildings might even get a little attic above them to store supplies.
In answer to your question: no, I had not considered constructing articulated roofs out of ramps.
In response to your question: That's a really good idea. What would the best way to do it?

I imagine with a large enough base I could do this:
Code: [Select]
.^^^^^^^^.
.^XXXXXX^.
.^X----X^.
.^X----X^.
.^XXXXXX^.
.^^^^^^^^.

. open space
^ ramp
X wall
- floor
and even go so far as to taper it off over multiple z levels...
but how could I make it look nice on smaller structures, like the roof of one of my housing blocks? They are 4x10... would this still come out looking good:
toplvl     roof       roof+1
......     ......    ......
.XXXX<     .^^^^.    ..^^..
.X--D-     .^XX^.    ..^^..
.X--X-     .^XX^.    ..^^..
.XXXX-     .^XX^.    ..^^..
.XXXX-     .^^^^.    ..^^..

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2009, 05:45:31 pm »

This is the journal of Sir Woge and his (kind of) lands, Snakesfreckles. Page 13

19 Moonstone, 207.  I have taken sick. Trekking around yesterday in the cool air may have done little good for my health. It is no matter, though. Mete was kind enough to bring me a warm breakfast in bed.
Of more significant note than my illness was Haspen's visit last night. He came to me to explain a pan for a temple devoted to Tul.  I do not know how or when he made the plan, but he handed me a detailed design and had all the information to explain it. To my surprise the temple design calls for an underground construction adjacent to a magma supply. The temple design is impressive, to say the least. While I was taken by surprise, I agreed to help Haspen pursue the temple construction in due time...

Today I am taking advantage of my sickly situation to the fullest, though. I have been drawing up some plans for a keep. A few days ago I committed myself to the eventual construction of the thing, so making plans is a good way to start the process. While Haspen's temple plans are already completed, the project will require a massive amount of preparation work. For starters I am not even sure I'd be willing to let any of our miners conduct such ambitious operations without more proper training. So I am comfortable to leave them sit for the time being- Egu will not hold it against me.
There is an outcropping of land very near the southern expansion's gatehouse. My original southern expansion gatehouse plans included the possibility to have fortifications built on this particular peninsula of land to provide lateral fire in support of the towers. I would like to use that land to build the keep.
The keep would act as the last defense of Snakesfreckles should all HFS break lose. It could provide housing for the guards, or at least the squad leaders and hold a generous supply of arms and munitions. With a sufficiently large food stockpile, a defending force should be able to hold out in the keep long enough to break most any siege; we may even be able to route a water pipe from the old sinkhole to enable use of a well. Of course, the plan for indefinite sustainability means not everyone will be able to take refuge in the keep... only the vital members of the mission...
I plan to sleep well tonight and continue my rest tomorrow so that I may return to full health quickly. I think I may be near feverish- I could have sworn I heard Haspen say "I knew how Pestrat will end."

20 Moonstone, 207. I met with Sor and Mete to discuss my keep plans. Mete was able to provide input about defensive positioning and Sor provided feedback about the logistics. I quickly drew up a possible foundation plan. I, in an offhand manner, also brought up the idea of building a temple to Tul. I was very discrete about it, listing Tul as a possible deity to devote a temple in the name of... I do not want to make Haspen's situation too well known, yet...

21 Moonstone, 207. Irka came to me today. She is afraid Thomo might be hurt or lost. She says she has not seen him all day. Normally they would have been working the quarry together. I assured her I would look into it and that I am certain he is fine. Truthfully I cannot be certain, though... Sor took a mighty injury working in the quarry- Thomo is not immune to accidents either.

22 Moonstone, 207. I found Thomo today. He was returning from the old quarry for food- he looked like he could eat a horse. I was initially angry at him for working the old quarry- but then he went on to say he was doing so under Haspen's command. Naturally I could not find the man to discuss the matter with him... I will go looking for him again later tonight- I have some choice words to say to him!

24 Moonstone, 207. Just a couple years ago sighting a kobold was a major happening- sending Mete for her sword and Ina yelping in fear. Today, it is possible to happen without disrupting the action across the mission. Apparently someone saw a kobold in or around the housing district yesterday. I did not even know until now! Back in the day such a sighting would have had everyone on edge within moments. I suppose such changes are a result of our mission's growth, but I am not yet certain said changes are for the positive... Kobolds are still a threat- and if we are becoming lax towards the kobold threat it is only a minor change to let our guard down to the elves...

25 Moonstone, 207. Another kobold was spotted in the administrative district. This is particularly worrisome to me since I sleep alone in that entire district. It is only a small step up to try and sneak a knife in to my apartment than to sneak an item out... and a sneaky kobold assassin is all it would take to end me... I am going to look into how many dogs we have available- maybe have some chained up to the remaining unguarded gates.

2 Opal, 207. The most recent second level housing block feels like it is taking forever to get done. I am not sure what is going on- I will need to meet with Ina to discuss it.
I went to the old quarry to look for Haspen today. I have not seen him for nearly ten days now. His masons are still getting their work done but I would like to meet with him to go over build plans together. Like usual I did not find him at the old quarry but I did find something else of interest... There are a series of mine shafts extending from a single vertical (deep) shaft that go on for farther than I dared to explore. The shafts were completely devoid of surface light- I relit a burnt torch I found by the entrance to make the trip down the vertical shaft. My confidence in the old torch was not great enough for a stroll dozens (hundreds?) of feet below the surface so I quickly made my way back towards the surface. I am not sure who did the digging. Thomo had admitted to a small amount of underground mining when I confronted him about working in the old quarry days ago- but the mining I saw was well beyond the scale he admitted to. I am not sure who is doing the digging now, both Thomo and Irka deny involvement. I must find Haspen to get some answers.
While at the original quarry I did notice some new engravings on the walls. Some were quite noteworthy. There was a superiorly designed image of the elf attacks in early spring of 205. It was a stark reminder to how far we have come in the last nearly 3 years. I still remember the battle clearly- the loss of Udda, Ad's surprising kills...
Spoiler: The Crowd of Scourges (click to show/hide)
Going back even further down memory lane, I found an image relating to the foundation of Snakesfreckles. It was a pretty good artistic depiction of our first days on sight- laboring to survive.
Spoiler: The Sunken Decency (click to show/hide)
And last, but most definitely not least, I found my favorite engraving: A depiction of my ascension to leadership of The Holy League.

5 Opal, 207. I have initiated of construction of my keep. I made the plans known to all the masons. I will need to get one of the miners to channel out some space as well.

9 Opal, 207. It seems like Sor is taking lessons from Haspen. I spent half the day looking for him to no avail... He is still helping out the miners a little, so I figured he might be at the new quarry but he was not. Nor was he at the keep build site (where I needed some channeling done) or at his office...

18 Opal, 207. The most recent 2nd level housing block is finally done. Sor and I went over the housing and population numbers together.
We have 48 apartments in the housing district. I have an apartment in the administrative district and Sor has his apartment near the main hall. There are also 14 guards housed in the barracks. Not including myself, Sor, or the guards we have 50 residents. I know we have at least one married couple living out of a single apartment... so it looks like we are doing pretty well on housing! Only one short assuming we only have one shared apartment. I will have Ina continue constructing the 2nd level housing blocks for future growth.

26 Opal, 207. An alligator came close to the mission. I dispatched Galali's squad and Switchblades' squad to take care of the beast but it ran beyond the charter's boundaries before they could get to it. Ontha Pumiker, the fisherworker that first spotted the thing said it was the largest alligator he'd ever seen or heard of- I honestly doubt he’s seen many, if any, though.

28 Opal, 207. I have been going over the possibility of starting a new quarry south of the mission for the last few days. We have a reliable source of stone in the current quarry but it is so far off that it creates unreasonable delays just to transport the stone to a stockpile or worksite. There is no stone visible on the surface to the south, but I suspect enough digging will reach some, eventually...

18 Obsidian, 207. Sor have ceased mining. Something has him all put off about the idea of mining all of a sudden. He says he wants to resume full time bookkeeping.
That is fine with me- the more administrative help I can get, the better.
It is possible he got fed up with helping dig into the soft earth at the keep's base... Thomo and Irka will just have to do it on their own now. I am having them dig by the keep's base in an attempt to strike stone while also creating a stronger (deeper) natural barrier to defend the keep's southern side.

27 Obsidian, 207. The year is nearly done. We've achieved a lot these last several weeks. The housing district is growing vertically and a keep is well underway in the southern expansion. If 208 brings as much progress as this year has so far, I will be happy.

1 Granite, 208. 208 is here! We are having a small Spring celebration today. Well, not we but rather they. Sor and I are too busy going over numbers and censuses and other details about our mission. Sor has been away from his ledgers for so long that he feels we need to get a good sense of how we stand to start off 208 right. I suppose he is correct- it is good to see the details behind the mission, too.
Spoiler: Mission Census (click to show/hide)

[con't]

Return to table of contents

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 04:44:05 am »

In answer to your question: no, I had not considered constructing articulated roofs out of ramps.
In response to your question: That's a really good idea. What would the best way to do it?

I imagine with a large enough base I could do this:
.^^^^^^^^.
.^XXXXXX^.
.^X----X^.
.^X----X^.
.^XXXXXX^.
.^^^^^^^^.

. open space
^ ramp
X wall
- floor
and even go so far as to taper it off over multiple z levels...
but how could I make it look nice on smaller structures, like the roof of one of my housing blocks? They are 4x10... would this still come out looking good:
toplvl     roof       roof+1
.XXXX<     .^^^^.    ..^^..
.XXXX-     .^^^^.    ..^^..
Yeah, that what I meant.
How about this for the larger structures:

For example, 7*7 building.
Floor    Top level   Attic     Roof
XXWXWXX   ^XXWXX^   .^XXX^.   ..^X^..
X+++++X   ^X+++X^   .^X+X^.   ..^X^..
X+>+++X   ^X<>+X^   .^X+X^.   ..^X^..
XXWXWXX   ^XXXXX^   .^XWX^.   ..^X^..

X Wall
+ Floor
^ Ramp
. Open space
W fortification as a window
<,> Stairs

Your housing block desing has one problem: The ramps on the top level will look like spikes.
Instead, I,d recommend this one:

XXXX<   ^^^^^   .....
X--D-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
X>-X-   X<--X   XXXXX
XXXX-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
X--D-   ^^^^^   .....
X--X-   ^^^^^   .....
XXXX-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
X>-D-   X<--X   XXXXX
X--X-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
XXXX-   ^^^^^   .....

While more resource consuming, this design has some advantages: It make the houses look like a row of little huts instead of just a single large one.

Some lucky people get a little storage area to put their junk in.

The walkway is no longer exposed to rain.

Cool update by the way.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:55:11 am by Servu »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 08:54:33 am »

Your housing block desing has one problem: The ramps on the top level will look like spikes.
Not sure how I didn't figure that out myself- seems obvious now- ramps don't go up against each other.

Instead, I,d recommend this one:

XXXX<   ^^^^^   .....
X--D-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
X>-X-   X<--X   XXXXX
XXXX-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
X--D-   ^^^^^   .....
X--X-   ^^^^^   .....
XXXX-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
X>-D-   X<--X   XXXXX
X--X-   XXXXX   ^^^^^
XXXX-   ^^^^^   .....

While more resource consuming, this design has some advantages: It make the houses look like a row of little huts instead of just a single large one.
I like it. I will use it. Servu Jr will be rewarded for his designs (in two updates, already have the next one played... just need to write it up and post, which will prolly take a while, sadly).

Some lucky people get a little storage area to put their junk in.
Lucky, or special? :-) Maybe I'll go down the list of residents and do assigned housing based on profession- cull the peasants out of the nice apartments.

The walkway is no longer exposed to rain.
And this is probably my favorite part. They get a lot of rain in the Shady Swamps- Spring is here too- so this would be a very popular design to keep people dry(er). Given the cramped situation in the housing district it seems entirely possible to travel throughout it under cover most of the time- the upper walkways will shelter travel on the ground level and your roof design will shelter the upper walkways.

...Now I just need to get the workshops out of the main yard and under cover as well...
Of course, Sir Woge doesn't need to work in them so that easily explains why it hasn't happened yet. And even then he likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.

I have an open question for anyone as well:
Is there anyway I can train the masons in masonry and the woodworkers (carpenters) in carpentry that does not require a boatload of resources?
Ina, Thrathdad, and Haspen are like the only skilled workers I've got. All the other carpenters/masons have no skill cuz they spend all their time constructing walls. I'd like to train them up a little to speed things up...

Then again, maybe I want them to stay low skill to keep the work leaders superior to them... So how about this question instead (or as well): Is there a way I can tell Ina to ignore the carpentry construction (walls) and only do carpentry workshop orders? I know I can set the carpenters workshop to only let Ina work it, but even if I do that she ignores the workshop and just helps with the walls all the time...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 09:12:23 am »

Churn out rock/wood blocks then build walls/ramps/floors from them ;)
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2009, 09:36:48 am »

Churn out rock/wood blocks then build walls/ramps/floors from them ;)
BLOCKS
BLOCKS!!!!

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKS!
Oh my god- I do not know why I didn't think of that....

Thank you:-)

This this method I can mix skill gain and resource gathering into one set of actions...

I used to set all the masons to stone hauling- wait until a good stockpile was built up, then turn off the hauling and have them build with it.
Now I can just have them all build stone blocks- which will effectively be my 'stone hauling' step, then have them build the walls...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:44:03 am by Goron »

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2009, 10:35:20 am »

...Now I just need to get the workshops out of the main yard and under cover as well...
Of course, Sir Woge doesn't need to work in them so that easily explains why it hasn't happened yet. And even then he likes working outdoors and grumbles only mildly at inclement weather.
I just have to bother you with an another design now:
Workshop:

Floor 1    Floor 2    Roof 1     Roof 2

+X++XXXXX   XWXXXXXX   ^^^^^^^^   ........
++SSSX+>X   W++X++<X   XXXXXXXX   ^^^^^^^^
++SSSD++X   X++D++>X   X+++++<W   XXXXXXXX
++SSSX++X   W++X+++X   XXXXXXXX   ^^^^^^^^
+X++XXXXX   XWXXXXXX   ^^^^^^^^   ........

S - workshop

The workshop is in the first floor, with a storage room for raw materials behind it. The second floor houses the stockpile for the output goods (right) and, if necessary, the quarters for the workshop owner hanging a bit on top of the street. (These can be left out by removing the middle wall to house a larger output storage instead) Plus the roof.

Extra points if you build a couple of tables in front of the workshop, so the artisan can show off their works to the passing crowd.

PS: You could start to call my character just Servu, the 'jr' is kind of useless now when old Servu has been dead for so long.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2009, 10:49:01 am »

PS: You could start to call my character just Servu, the 'jr' is kind of useless now when old Servu has been dead for so long.
And cease recognizing your family bloodline?!?!? Have you no honor for the dead- your father at that!?
hehe, j/k

Oh, and I like the workshop building design. The possibility of an apartment above is nice too, but I may keep the output storage completely separate- I kinda like the idea of big wooden warehouses:-) SO instead I may make the originally designated output storage into a personal dining room or something- maybe a waiting room or living room of some sort.
Do people pay rent on assigned dining rooms? or just the bedroom?

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:37 am »

I think it's just the bedroom, but you could set the door internal, so they gotta pay some extra.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2009, 05:01:11 pm »

This is the journal of Sir Woge and his (kind of) lands, Snakesfreckles. Page 14

5 Granite, 208. The last housing block's second level is nearly completed. It just needs to be roofed over and then furnished. With Sor back in his office most of the day, it gives me time to get out and about to see how our constructions are progressing.  I would like to spend more time with Mete, but so far her schedule has not allowed it. She is constantly busy with her squad, training, practicing, working. I have toyed with the idea of taking her off of guard duty so that she can spend more time with me, but I do not think she would have it- she is devoted to her duties and her squad. I just wish she would show as much devotion to me. Our relationship seems stagnant.

12 Granite, 208. Excellent news made it to my desk today! Thomo and Irka have found gabbro right at the foot of the keep! It is several meters down, but they are clearing the soft earth to gain access to it. This will surely be of benefit to the masons- a gabbro supply so near their work site is surely a blessing from Egu. Tomorrow I will survey the site myself. Perhaps I will ask Sor to accompany me- it has been a while since we've done anything together.

13 Granite, 208. Ina caught up with me while I was on my way to the newly unearthed gabbro. She proudly declared the last second level housing unit to be finished. She had already distributed orders to the peasants to start furnishing the apartments. I shared a few kind words with her- reminding her of when we slept in tents during the early days and how her constructions are a great improvement. She requested a new work assignment, catching me off guard. I told her to take a day or two to rest with her crew and that I'd come up with her newest assignment soon. Sor and I discussed the possibilities while we looked over the ...quarry... moat?... at the base of the keep. Afterwards I took a few moments to tour the keep by myself. It has not progressed much since my last visit, but I like to check it out nonetheless.

14, Granite, 208. I am going to have Ina build a storage warehouse. We'll get the walls up then immediately start moving goods into it. While that’s happening Ina's crew will gather wood in a stockpile nearby for eventual use in roofing the structure over. In order to save on materials the warehouse will be built against the cliff face dividing the housing district from the southern expansion. Eventually I may have a 2nd level put on to of the warehouse but I am not entirely sure yet. Alternatively we could put some other functional space there- such as a cafe or an observation platform...

16 Granite, 208.  A cow gave away a sneaking kobold right outside MasterSqueak's apartment. Besse, his squaddie, was in there too - for some reason. They peeked outside in response to the cow's cry, discovered the kobold, and quickly dispatched of it.
Spoiler: One less kobold (click to show/hide)

18 Granite, 208. Today has been quite a hectic day- I suppose it still is hectic, for some. The mission's daily routine was interrupted when someone shouted out at sight of a goblin inside the housing district walls. It had only been two days since a kobold was struck down in the same area so the sighting of a goblin was an alarm indeed. Just as MasterSqueak exited his apartment to chase the foul creature down another shout of a goblin sighting arose from the eastern side of the housing district.

Panic erupted pretty quickly. I believe these were the first goblin sightings in four years- and to have two show up inside the mission at one time set off an air of alarm. But before any plans to organize the guard fermented (just in case), shouts of a goblin ambush west of the mission reached every one's ears.
Spoiler: Ambush! (click to show/hide)

Mong was jumped by goblins a short distance west of the southern expansion. Mela, who was also cutting wood in the same area, had a head enough on him to shout out for help towards the mission with a clear indication that multiple goblins were attacking Mong. Had Mela not been so levelheaded in his shouts, I am sure most people would have just assumed he was crying out about the two goblins already known in the housing district.
All guards acted to mobilize very quickly.
MasterSqueak continued after the two goblins spotted inside the mission- their intentions were not obvious. As I write now, I can safely declare one of them was a (mostly) harmless scout but MasterSqueak was going to take no chances. Mete directed her squad to the housing district, Switchblades to the west gate of the southern expansion, and Galali started for the southern expansion's west tower.
Mong was able to escape the ambush with what looked like only a few minor wounds, according to mela, taking off to the north with the goblin ambush squad close on her heels.
Spoiler: Mong Manages to Escape (click to show/hide)

At this point I was readying the mission for a lock-down. Based on the information I had the primary threat was off to the west with our guards getting ready to engage. I was having a horribly difficult time relaying orders to the peasants and workers around me- some were taken by fear while others were downplaying the situation as harmless. I did my best to get some people by the gates to be ready to lock them up on my command. Sor took to the watchtower to spot for other threats while Jervous went up to look for who all was still outside the walls and to try to signal warnings to them.
From the watchtower they were able to relay an account of what was happening in the housing district and beyond. Someone managed to catch up with and kill one of the goblins inside the housing district but MasterSqueak was still chasing down the second to the west, outside the walls. Mete and Switchblade's squads made it to their designated rally points then continued out the walls to chase the goblins that were still chasing Mong in the distance.
As the chases went on, it became apparent that the fleeing goblin with MasterSqueak on its tail was making a beeline for the goblin squad that was tracking Mong.
The whole affair turned into a long distance race with MasterSqueak chasing a goblin scout that was, along with Mete and Switchblades, chasing a goblin ambush squad that was in turn chasing Mong who was running for her dear life. And that is where it left off before I retired for the night. With the whole encounter taking place so far west of the mission by the end of the day there was no reason for those of us in the mission to stand around in wait. Galali's squad remains poised inside our walls to act as a defense should some other attack occur from another direction.

19 Granite, 208. The race to the west continued late into the night and early morning. MasterSqueak eventually caught up with and killed the goblin he had chased form the housing district. By that point he was so close to the ambush goblins that he decided to continue on- Mong needed his help. As he got closer he drew the attention of all but one of the goblins chasing Mong. He engaged the from the east.

Mete and Switchblades were close behind. Mete took her squad to the north to continue after the goblin still chasing Mong and Switchblades moved in with her squad to aid MasterSqueak. Just as MasterSqueak engaged the first goblin all by himself, the goblin chasing Mong turned back to join its ambush squad. Amazingly by the time Switchblades reached MasterSqueak all but one goblin was dead.
And then it was over.

In the end all of the goblins were killed and Mong only suffered a light wound to the arm. The guards made it back to the mission by midday and took posts in each of the districts. Everyone is alarmed by the sudden goblin presence- as such I will ask Mete to maintain extra vigilance for the next few days.

24 Granite, 208. More goblins! It started with Mete chasing down a snatcher to the east of the administrative district. The thing was spotted somewhere near the walls - I've heard witnesses claim it was in the walls while others say it was not- and Mete's squad made chase. After she got sufficiently far from the mission to the east a goblin ambush engaged Mela! Just a few days ago Mela's woodcutting partner was attacked to the west, today Mela was attacked to the east. It seems they are targeted no matter where they work! At this point we are speculating that the initial goblin snatcher was a decoy to draw Mete away from the mission so that the ambush could strike Mela unhindered.
Like the last ambush attempt, these goblins underestimated our woodcutters speed. Mela managed to run off before the goblins could strike at him. Mela took off to the south (passing the mission gates and 'safety'). Mete continued after the snatcher, at that point unaware of the goblin ambush. But shouts for help reached Switchblades' ears in the housing district and she led her squad to the administrative district with all haste.
Learning from Ejas' mistake, Mete did not jump in after her foe when she knocked it into a pool of water. She left the creature to drown after hearing the commotion behind her and sighting Mela running with a goblin ambush close behind.

Switchblades and Mete reached the ambush at around the same time, striking down all but one goblin in an instant. The last goblin made a run for it but was eventually caught up with and killed by Switchblades. Meanwhile, another snatcher was spotted at the administrative district. It made a run for it past Switchblades and Mete while they were fighting and managed to get away.

Thankfully no one was injured today and all but one goblin were chased down and killed. Mete has repositioned the guard squads to afford better coverage of the mission in an emergency. They will remain on active duty for a while longer- these goblins are becoming a serious threat.

25 Granite, 208.  I fear some of our residents are becoming too lax in their attitudes towards external threats. They have too much confidence in our guards and defenses. Perhaps I will ask Mela and Mong to give a speech about their encounters in an attempt to show how serious the threat is. Mong took wounds! And it was only their excellent physical shape that let them run off quickly and stay ahead of the ambush. These people need to understand that they may not be so lucky as Mong or Mela should a goblin make chase!
I had a chat with Mela to ask why he did not run into the mission when the goblins were after him. After thinking it over for a day I figured maybe he was fearful of letting the goblins into the mission where they could wreak havoc. To my surprise he responded bluntly: "I didn't think to."

26 Granite, 208. I am going to train the newest grown pups myself. We have several untrained dogs around the mission- I will spend my free time training them to be war dogs. Then I will post them at as many unguarded mission gates as possible.

27 Granite, 208. I've arranged with Mete to have a constant guard duty running at all hours of the day, every day, from now on. Previously we would post guards only at times of trouble- but today we've agreed we have enough of a force that we can keep some on duty at all times. For the time being they are all remaining active at various posts around the mission, but once the goblin menace fades into a more distant memory most will go off duty, leaving one squad in an active state.

2 Slate, 208. Things are returning to normal. The masons are collecting stone. The woodworkers are collecting wood. That’s all there is to report, really... I've grown accustomed to being around the dogs. I am admittedly a very poor animal handler but it is a nice break from the norm, training them. Perhaps I will take one for a pet.

7 Slate, 208. There was a kobold thief and a goblin snatcher in the mission today. One managed to escape right under Galali's nose. His squad was poised atop the southern expansion's west tower. The sneaker ran right out that gate past Galali's men without drawing even a single arrow. Galali claimed he did not spot the thief running by- more like his squad was sleeping or gambling while on duty in that tower. I publicly reprimanded him and denounced his failure to act. Mete was rather angry that I handled the situation like I did- she likes to think that was her duty as the senior guard- but I saw no action on her part so I was forced to do so on my own.

9 Slate, 208. Word has it migrants are en route from the north. I've been busy tending to some paperwork at Sor's request and have not had a chance to see them for myself. Mete is in position by the north east gate, just in case. I've asked Jervous to take charge of welcoming the newcomers when they arrive if I am not around.
Spoiler: Dun dun duuuuuuun! (click to show/hide)

[con't]

Return to table of contents

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2009, 01:19:40 pm »

Question, is there Adamantium/HFS on this map?  ;)
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2009, 01:32:21 pm »

The 'X' on Goron's map obstructs the view of region map. It's mostly swamp so we can assume that there's no Stuff-related things.
SigFlags!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2009, 05:32:29 pm »

The 'X' on Goron's map obstructs the view of region map. It's mostly swamp so we can assume that there's no Stuff-related things.
I am not 100% on any of the features- all I looked for was a nicely wooded area (knowing I'd be building primarily out of wood).
But it is looking like it may be devoid of anything but surface features...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6