Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Regarding Digging enemies  (Read 10134 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Digging enemies
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 08:31:57 pm »

Either way, it's a huge change.

But I think it will be a good one when it finally happens.

Also, I'm sure there will be a period of time when the giant moles trump out carp as the scariest critters.

And actually, I just had a thought. What if the giant moles get into your pressurized pumping tower?  = P
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:33:35 pm by Ironhand »

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 04:09:21 pm »

semi related note but this might enable possible "digging without a tool" or a body part that can function as a digging tool. which would actually help some realisms, roleplay, and modding.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 04:15:32 pm »

Yeah, giant moles lose a little something when they have to carry around pickaxes.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 05:03:54 pm »

Yeah, giant moles lose a little something when they have to carry around pickaxes.
They lose... the money... they had to spend it on the pickaxes?

(oh jeez, that was terrible...)
<3

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »

Ouch.

You know what, now I'm seeing 3-tile walls with the middle hollowed out and filled with magma.
Or pressurized water. Or cats. Make those giant moles think twice about laying pick-axe to my fortress.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:42:01 pm by Ironhand »

Sweedumz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 07:01:23 pm »

What happens when they come up from below?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2009, 08:01:44 pm »

Well, I've obviously got a layer there, too...

One in the ceiling would be a bad idea, though.  = P

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2009, 08:39:36 pm »

I'm fine with digging enemies.  It lends depth to gameplay, and I will finally have a reason to implement my "quarantine flooding" idea.

What I'm not fine with is when Mr. Harmless Moleperson inevitably comes barging into my barracks through a masterpiece engraving!

Cue legendary beserker, stage left.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »

Also I suppose it'll add incentive to making better walls. Like, out of steel. You could floor your pump tower with steel and add a steel ring to the perimeter of the base. I'd like to see giant moles dig through that.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 09:26:47 pm »

Therefore digging enemies should only come once material strengths have been sorted out.

Seth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:13 pm »

I think one way to work this out is to make digging for everyone, player and non player civs, much more time consuming and difficult, so much so that it wouldn't be considered by the siege troops unless the player is turtling for a lengthy amount of time--where then the siege troops would have to actually set up a sort of camp or little cave and work to sustain themselves (I would also like to see siege camps in general).  So that, if you get tunneled, it's only because you were too cowardly or not a good enough scout or something.

or for less organized molemen, who would be more of a nuisance.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:28 am »

I'm fine with digging enemies.  It lends depth to gameplay
Literally. :)

Stephen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 02:24:05 am »

I think one way to work this out is to make digging for everyone, player and non player civs, much more time consuming and difficult, so much so that it wouldn't be considered by the siege troops unless the player is turtling for a lengthy amount of time--where then the siege troops would have to actually set up a sort of camp or little cave and work to sustain themselves (I would also like to see siege camps in general).  So that, if you get tunneled, it's only because you were too cowardly or not a good enough scout or something.

or for less organized molemen, who would be more of a nuisance.
This.  If digging enemies give me a reasonable chance to organize my army, fight off the non-digiging enemies, then go after the diggers, then I doubt anyone would have a problem with this, as it definitely adds depth and interest to battles.

What we don't want is one group of goblins walking through walls straight to the workshop floor while we're still fighting off the other group at the fortress entrance.  But as I said, I really doubt this will be the case.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 10:30:06 pm »

This.  If digging enemies give me a reasonable chance to organize my army, fight off the non-digiging enemies, then go after the diggers, then I doubt anyone would have a problem with this, as it definitely adds depth and interest to battles.

What we don't want is one group of goblins walking through walls straight to the workshop floor while we're still fighting off the other group at the fortress entrance.  But as I said, I really doubt this will be the case.

that or (sadly) might have another type of "ninja" class, we already have thiefs but they run away and a digging could, though unrealistic, be invisible to awareness or detection.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:29 am »

Therefore digging enemies should only come once material strengths have been sorted out.

This. I'd be fine with enemies digging through sand.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5