Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Good Totally Free MMOs?  (Read 5222 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Good Totally Free MMOs?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:36 pm »

Compare it to Wurm. It looks worse, but has a similar crafting system. Free players have very few restrictions (possibly none at all on player-run servers), unlike Wurm. It also runs much better on my laptop.
Big deal.  They're completely different.
Wurm is in 3D.  This is not.
Wurm's crafting is FAR deeper.
Performance isn't a comparable point - Of course a 2D game is going to run faster on a low-spec computer then a 3D one.
Just because Wurm isn't free doesn't mean you're allowed to compare it to whatever the hell you want that is.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 11:17:26 pm »

Dragonica online.  Its a beatem up mmo. Imagine God of War mmo style, with kiddie graphics. Its not too bad, pretty fun, Ive been playing it for a while recently.  PvP is pretty interesting too.  Its powered by micro-transactions but Im not sure on how much it unballances gameplay.

Link:
http://dragonica.iahgames.com/
The robot beeps.
"KOREAN GRINDFEST DETECTED."
"ERROR;CPU MAX DETECTED---"
Blue screen of death.

He never said anything about NOT wanting to grind. He asked for "good" "free" "mmo". Some people enjoy grinding. Look at the billions of poeple that still play Diablo 2, or any mmo in general.  They are all grind fests. Say WoW and I will say you grind quests. Say EvE and I will say you grind missions for money.  Say Wurm, and I say you grind making things.  The fact is, every game that has leveling at all is a grind.  The difference is what makes it fun to keep playing.  Some mmos its just about getting that new set of shiny armor. Some its more about "Hurry up and grind to pvp!". This one is more like "WOO LETS GET A 500 HIT COMBO CHEA!" which is fun.

Anyways, to each his own.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:21 pm »

Compare it to Wurm. It looks worse, but has a similar crafting system. Free players have very few restrictions (possibly none at all on player-run servers), unlike Wurm. It also runs much better on my laptop.
Just because Wurm isn't free doesn't mean you're allowed to compare it to whatever the hell you want that is.
I seem to have pissed someone off. Mind explaining what the end of that sentence means?

I bet you didn't try the game. What are the major differences? 2D-3D. That's it.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:38:41 pm »

I seem to have pissed someone off. Mind explaining what the end of that sentence means?

I bet you didn't try the game. What are the major differences? 2D-3D. That's it.
There's no comparison between 2D and 3D.  None at all.
That's like comparing Wurm to GTA IV.  Yeah.

You're comparing this game to Wurm for the sole reason that this game is free and Wurm is not.
Whatever your arguments are, that's about the only reason to bring Wurm up in this discussion at all.
Either way, I'm done with this argument.  I'll leave you with this.  You can't get anything close to that in 2D.  See what a gigantic difference it really is?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 12:56:08 am »

Either way, I'm done with this argument.  I'll leave you with this.  You can't get anything close to that in 2D.  See what a gigantic difference it really is?

why is that mountain on the left a flat angle descending from the sky?

I leave YOU with  THIS!
I got nothing

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 01:21:52 am »

I leave YOU with  THIS!
Holy cows, howd you get that?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 02:25:26 am »

Didn't we already have this exact discussion not too long ago?  Like, right here?

Minus the part where someone gets offended by someone else suggesting that a 2d game can be as good as a 3d one.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:56 am »

Guild Wars is not free to buy, but it does not have a subscription, and as far as I know there are no micro-transactions. It's a pretty good game. I liked it well enough.

But, you may as well for Guild Wars 2, which is coming soon. It will be the same in that regard, no subscriptions, just the cost of the game, which was pretty much standard price for a PC game when I got GW1.

There are, of course the expansion packs. I guess you can kind of consider them to be a form of micro transaction, but they released a ton of content to the original game for free, and the expansion packs are a hell of a lot cheaper than a subscription.

To expand on this, first I highly recommend GW and secondly there are the following things you can buy after purchasing the game:
1.New Campaigns, there are three guild wars campaigns, Prophecys Factions and Nightfall each one works as a stand alone game in its own right or you can buy more and add them to your account allowing you to travel between them
2. The expansion pack, this requires you to own at least one campaign and it is mainly high area, although it doesn't add quite as much as the campaigns it is cheaper I think and well worth it.
3. Character slots. Ok brief tangent here, GW doesn't have servers like most mmos rather each area is an instance, outside of towns and cities you will have your own personal instance and in a town you will share the instance with other people, once a town instance starts getting full it will spawn a new one. So unlike a lot of MMOs where you are limited to a certain number of characters per server in GW you are limited to a certain number overall, this is 4 for the first campaign you buy and 2 for each of the other two. This isn't very many so you can buy slots for a couple of pounds to add another character. I don't think there is a limit to the number you can buy.
4. PVP campaigns, you can buy a PVP version of a campaign which wont allow you to play through any of the PVE area for it, rather it will instead unlock all the skills for you and let you create characters from that campaign for use in PVP only. These always seemed kind of pointless to me.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 11:03:21 am »

I leave YOU with  THIS!
Couple issues with that logic.
1) That's not a game.
2) That's not dynamically alterable.
3) That's not streamed from a server.
4) That's not 2D.
5) That's definitely not RPGWO.

My mountain is so close to vertical because it's so close to vertical.  It's more akin to a mesa.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 11:22:55 am »

The only MMO i have found so far that fulfills all three criteria is Kingdom of Loathing. It's browser-based, but fun as hell. (And silly. Don't forget silly.)
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 03:41:26 pm »

And yet it can't manage a bridge or a two story building without special scripting.

For those of us who don't really care about the graphics enough to let them turn you off of a game, can we discuss the crafting for the two? I'm interested in something less grindy than Wurm... Just don't have the time for it.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »

if you dont want grind, you should play guild wars. level cap is twenty, and you can easily get there in a day of hard playing - i know people who have reached 1.337 million xp in 3 days (of playtime), and you only need about 100k to reach level 20. of course, it can take you longer the first time, but thats the time where you should be taking the time to look at the storyline and stuff.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 10:27:52 pm »

Good Free MMO: The Chronicles of Spellborn

It's a bit sparse on population though. Only way I could find a good group was to force a romantic interest to play with me.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 10:33:39 pm »

Runes of Magic seemed fun when I played it, very WoW'ish if you're into that (I know the WoW haters will crawl all over this, WoW was a very good game, but it's declined into something a little too casual friendly for most of the old-school gamers). I can't speak for the endgame though, I was driven off by the whole buying 'perks' aspect of it. While I get they need money to run, I've played too many 'free' online games that were dominated by kids who's parents bought them powerful gear.

There are hundreds if not thousands of muds, if you're into text based MMO's. The hardest part is finding one that's both good and populated, and at least 80% of them are flat out terrible, and 15% are only bearable, and many of the ones you'll find fun are fairly low pop.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »

While not technically totally free, EVE Online can be played for free if you have the time to earn in-game currency, with which you can buy game time. With a bit of work, you can afford your first time extension within the free trial, and never pay for it at all. That has the advantage that it's a non-free MMO and thus dodges the "choose two" nature of the question, and the advantage (for you) of allowing you to "pay" in time rather than in money.

Of course, that will only work if you've got time but not money. If you've got neither, it's probably not a good fit for you.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 [2] 3