Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Good Totally Free MMOs?  (Read 5218 times)

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good Totally Free MMOs?
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:22:15 pm »

I have been so bored lately its ridiculous  >:(! Can anyone recommend any good free MMOs that I could check out?
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Totally Free MMOs?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 07:38:27 pm »

First, why an MMO? I mean, there are tons of better things to play then a mindless social interaction game. Free MMOs tend to run on profits from some sort of cash shop or restricted area, anyway. Also, I haven't played them enough to judge, but, Savage 2 or Haven and Hearth? As well, if you like the sort of thing, SS13. Looking for a decent MMO that runs on absolutely nothing, however, would mean that they would probably have a terrible server, as well as not be part of active development, as they lack the funds to support it.

Second, pick Two.
( )Good
( )Free
( )MMO
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:42:01 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:57 pm »

Second, pick two.
( )Good
( )Free
( )MMO

Fixed that for you. There are plenty of good, free games out there. No good free MMOs, though.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

Dungeons and Dragons Online recently went F2P (with microtransactions for certain races and classes), as did Chronicles of Spellborn.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:06:20 pm »

Guild Wars is not free to buy, but it does not have a subscription, and as far as I know there are no micro-transactions. It's a pretty good game. I liked it well enough.

But, you may as well for Guild Wars 2, which is coming soon. It will be the same in that regard, no subscriptions, just the cost of the game, which was pretty much standard price for a PC game when I got GW1.

There are, of course the expansion packs. I guess you can kind of consider them to be a form of micro transaction, but they released a ton of content to the original game for free, and the expansion packs are a hell of a lot cheaper than a subscription.
!!&!!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 08:16:28 pm »

For varying definitions of "good," "free," and "mmo."

RPGWO
The owner offers "perks" on his servers, but just recently released an old version of the game for players to run their own servers with. It costs $50 to get one listed on the main client, which is worthless as you can connect to servers that aren't listed anyway.

Compare it to Wurm. It looks worse, but has a similar crafting system. Free players have very few restrictions (possibly none at all on player-run servers), unlike Wurm. It also runs much better on my laptop.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:35:28 pm by Mephisto »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:46:55 pm »

Shuffle over to FG&RP and start one?

There are some fun browser games that don't require a subscription, although it can help. Link to Star Pirates in my Sig currently.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:48:41 pm »

Earth and Beyond?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:41:49 pm »

Second, pick two.
( )Good
( )Free
( )MMO

Fixed that for you. There are plenty of good, free games out there. No good free MMOs, though.
Oh, thanks. Woops.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 03:54:23 pm »

Dungeons and Dragons Online recently went F2P (with microtransactions for certain races and classes), as did Chronicles of Spellborn.
DDO Unlimited is great.

I also recommend Anarchy Online, but it's very hardcore. =p

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »

omg urnescpae!!!one hundred and eleven

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »

omg urnescpae!!!one hundred and eleven
I think you missed the word 'Good' in the thread. =p

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:22:23 pm »

Dragonica online.  Its a beatem up mmo. Imagine God of War mmo style, with kiddie graphics. Its not too bad, pretty fun, Ive been playing it for a while recently.  PvP is pretty interesting too.  Its powered by micro-transactions but Im not sure on how much it unballances gameplay.

Link:
http://dragonica.iahgames.com/
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:19 pm »

Dragonica online.  Its a beatem up mmo. Imagine God of War mmo style, with kiddie graphics. Its not too bad, pretty fun, Ive been playing it for a while recently.  PvP is pretty interesting too.  Its powered by micro-transactions but Im not sure on how much it unballances gameplay.

Link:
http://dragonica.iahgames.com/
The robot beeps.
"KOREAN GRINDFEST DETECTED."
"ERROR;CPU MAX DETECTED---"
Blue screen of death.
Pages: [1] 2 3