Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: carbonite freezing  (Read 1414 times)

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
carbonite freezing
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:29 pm »

A little while ago, two of my dwarves walked across the watery floor of my obsidian casting mold as magma was pouring in, and I got the message:

Urist McDumbAss has been encased in cooling magma!

This left dwarf bones and dwarf skull inside the obsidian.  Does this happen every time? Obviously, it kills them every time, but will it always leave encased bones? It pissed me off, but on further thinking, it could be awesome.  I could totally carbonobsidian-freeze captured enemies.

Throw each prisoner into 1x1 pit filled with 3/7 water.  Then flow some magma over the top to freeze them all.  Finally carve away the surrounding walls and leave a museum of encased enemies.  It could work with dwarves too, using levers to lure them into 1x1 room and locking them in.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: carbonite freezing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »

That is really cool!

Also, it sounds like it completely bypasses that whole unpleasant rotting corpse stage.

Enemies: Instant craft materials. Just add water.
...and magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:22:08 pm »

Anything flammable that gets encased in obsidian will be instantly destroyed. Clothes, flesh, whatever. This will leave iron, maybe damaged corpses, which will decay to bones, and bones.

I've always wanted to make a trap involving cooling magma, but never got around to it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 07:07:46 pm »

Actually, I think as long as you fill it up with water first (I used 7/7) it won't hurt anything non-living. If you want to see something interesting, put stuff in obsidian, than collapse that obsidian tile down a level or 10. Once that happens, mine it out.

BOOM! Dust cloud on demand. When/if automated drilling systems get put it, it could make a pretty great non-lethal weapon which knocks out everything in a big range. Unfortunately, I could find no way to weaponize it in its current form, since dwarves will run away when the enemies get close and so fail to mine it out.

Well, at least, it cannot be weaponized against enemies  8)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:26:38 am by alway »

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 09:27:23 pm »

Actually, I think as long as you fill it up with water first (I used 7/7) it won't hurt anything non-living.
So this is simply a dwarven cage trap? Sweet!

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:35:18 am »

*Cough* What part of non-living are you not getting?

... Oh, wait.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:36:49 am »

Woah.

If dwarves had feelings, they would hella be scared right now.

You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 02:18:37 am »

Anything flammable that gets encased in obsidian will be instantly destroyed. Clothes, flesh, whatever.

That's true of objects, but I was wondering if it worked differently for living creatures.  They were certainly destroyed, but they left encased bones behind.  I figured since there was a special death announcement, it might work consistently. 

Actually, I think as long as you fill it up with water first (I used 7/7) it won't hurt anything non-living.
I've destroyed objects by leaving them in water, and then pouring magma over the tile.  Every once in a while, though, like a random pig tail sock or something will survive encased in the magma.  Why that happens, IDK.  It might have something to do with depth.  I just assumed it was random. 

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 04:58:05 am »

Woah.

If dwarves had feelings, they would hella be scared right now.

they do have feelings, fear is not one of them

i know they run away from enemies of they're civilian dwarfs, but that's only so they can down some ale before beating them with the keg
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 05:06:25 am »

Felt like I should be shameless in my advertising.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26910.msg321340#msg321340