Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding combined axe/pick  (Read 946 times)

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
modding combined axe/pick
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:41:37 pm »

Hi all,

I have been busy introducing a draconic race into the game and this works all pretty well so far, however I was wondering if it is possible to use 1 “item” for both mining and woodcutting.
I have been trying for about an hour using multiple combinations of tags, but not successful so far. Either I can only dig, or only cut wood.

If not possible it’s a shame, not dramatic but before I totally give up on the idea I would like to be sure by asking here…

To be completely clear, I don’t mind about switching professions to miner or woodcutter as long as they can use the same tool.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: modding combined axe/pick
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »

Nope. Picks mine because they use one skill, axes cut because they use another. You can't have both skills at once (to my knowledge).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:18:25 am »

That is correct. You could have a item (mining), and a item (woodcutting) if you wanted to though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:12:06 am »

That is correct. You could have a item (mining), and a item (woodcutting) if you wanted to though.
This is how it currently works since we have a pick for mining and any axe skill weapon for woodcutting.
I was just hoping to make 1 tool for both and considering it was for my draconic race it should have been logical.

For now I have given up on the idea and created 2 seperate items, but what annoyes me a lot is that I can buy a pick on embark made out of every metal available in the raws, however any weapon except crossbows are made of the best metal available and thus a whole lot more expensive to take with me. Right now my cheapest "pick" costs only 50 on embark, while my woodcutting tool, while officially a "weapon" (very low damage) costs 1000. Which is the same as my only reasonable damaging weapon which uses the sword skill at this moment. I would prefer to see both pick axes and woodcutter axes to be treated as tools instead of  use the axe skill.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:23 am »

As it stands now, dwarves use battle axes to cut down trees.

Which is weird.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:58 am »

Which is weird.
They just really don't like trees? :)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 08:31:11 am »

Which is weird.
They just really don't like trees? :)

Battle axes are proportioned differently than woodcutting axes. Different balance, blade size, and grip are optimal for cutting through flesh as opposed to wood. While technically either axe could be used for either job, you wouldn't want to blunt a battle axe on wood and you wouldn't want to risk using a woodcutting axe in combat against an armed opponent.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:43:51 am »

I'm not so sure about the last statement. The average woodcutting axe would still be a fearsome weapon, but it all depends on what kind of battle axe, what kind of woodcutting axe.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »

Fact: 99% of Dwarves don't like trees growing in their backyard.  But they are fine with it being a piece of lifeless wood.

There is nothing in-game to indicate a 'blunted' sharp weapon... An axe is an axe is an axe... 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:22:49 pm »

Right now my cheapest "pick" costs only 50 on embark, while my woodcutting tool, while officially a "weapon" (very low damage) costs 1000. Which is the same as my only reasonable damaging weapon which uses the sword skill at this moment. I would prefer to see both pick axes and woodcutter axes to be treated as tools instead of  use the axe skill.

Given that the default loadout starts you with 2 copper diggers and 2 steel axes, I'm not sure what the problem is.  Just make a voluntary rule that you can only exchange an axe for another steel weapon, if you think it unbalances the game.

I guess you could also try exchanging [SKILL:AXE] for [SKILL:HAMMER] in the skill that crossbows use for melee, and see if they can chop down trees with crossbows then.  Edit: no worky.  Darn.  It was a funny idea, at least.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:35:33 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »

In the entity_default.txt file when looking at the weapons section you will see

[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
and
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]

There was some discussion as to what would happen if you made it [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE] I don't recall the results of any such attempt (I think the discussion was in either the Zombie Fortress thread or the Lego Fortress thread). Anyways you could give it a try and see what happens.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 03:53:41 pm »

In the entity_default.txt file when looking at the weapons section you will see

[DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]
and
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE]

There was some discussion as to what would happen if you made it [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE] I don't recall the results of any such attempt (I think the discussion was in either the Zombie Fortress thread or the Lego Fortress thread). Anyways you could give it a try and see what happens.

In theory it would work, but when Mining it would train woodcutting which would be odd. Most likely though something wierd would happen and it would only do one or the other.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.