Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfen Grass Trample  (Read 1081 times)

cl3ft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfen Grass Trample
« on: September 10, 2009, 06:09:53 am »

I have not tried modding before, but I find the grasstrample setting to be way too high on my dwarfs and frustrate my wood growing cycles pretty badly. I have changed added a [GRASS_TRAMPLE:0] setting in the C:\Program Files\df_28_181_40d16_win\raw\objects\creature_standard.txt file but it seems to make no difference. Do I have to gen a new world for it to take effect? Or have I got the wrong file to add the grasstrample entry too?

*I have tried d/o High Traffic & Low traffic areas to limited success.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfen Grass Trample
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:08:11 pm »

Try removing the [GRASS_TRAMPLE] tag altogether.

cl3ft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 08:29:42 pm »

There was no [GRASS_TRAMPLE] tag originally, I put it in to override the default (like the elves have). That is why part of my question was did I have the right file. 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »

Do you have a number of free roaming tame animals, such as owned pets?  If so, it's probably those animals trampling the grass and not your dwarves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

cl3ft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 09:49:29 am »

Too clever I didn't even think of the stupid pets doing it.

Thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 05:27:39 pm »

Wouldn't it be simpler to restrict traffic to the tree-growing areas?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 09:03:31 pm »

No, assuming this tag works.  It seems to me that editing the raws once would be easier than setting traffic zones every time.  This is especially true when you consider two things: if a dwarf decides that's where he's going, then hell or high water, THAT'S WHERE HE'S GOING.  The other things being animals...I'm not so sure they observe traffic zones...whether tamed or wild.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 09:40:57 pm »

No, assuming this tag works.  It seems to me that editing the raws once would be easier than setting traffic zones every time.  This is especially true when you consider two things: if a dwarf decides that's where he's going, then hell or high water, THAT'S WHERE HE'S GOING.  The other things being animals...I'm not so sure they observe traffic zones...whether tamed or wild.
I suppose so. I've always been able to make 'tree farm' areas which are walled off with restricted tiles and denuded of all other vegetation so more trees can grow. Your solution works too, I may try it.