Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Flame Cannon.  (Read 2751 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Flame Cannon.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 09:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonot:
<STRONG>
Just because you found it on Wikipedia means it fits the game. It's likely that dwarves would have firearms given the knowledge they display in the game, but they don't because it's thematically inappropriate. I don't want to have to choose between what works well and what seems dwarven, and I think flame cannons would make that an issue. I don't think dwarves would ever demean themselves by using anything that doesn't function reliably, let alone occasionally kills its operators.
</STRONG>

"Magma Traps" are already considered a useful, hysterical, and in the 2D version almost essential, method to defend fortresses.  I don't see how digging a couple channels and burning the goblins, the elephants, some merchants, and any Dwarves that happen to have meandered outside is considered acceptable for the mythos, but having something that belches out fire for a couple squares in front of it isn't.  

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kayell:
<STRONG>
If you used a screw pump it would trickle out rather than fly away. Hmm, holes in the ceiling perhaps?
</STRONG>

Sorry.  Whenever I think "Screw Pump", I think of the broken mechanic where it spits out 7/7 water super fast.  Still, though.  Some way to channel high-pressure water, like using the pipes you can make for added pressure.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

I still want my knockermen in game.  As discworld dwarves are my iconic dwarves, flamethrowers definitely fit setting in my eyes.

Fenrir

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I don't think dwarves would ever demean themselves by using anything that doesn't function reliably, let alone occasionally kills its operators.</STRONG>
Are you playing the same game as we are?   :roll:

I don't think dwarves should have flame cannons, but I think they ought to be able to light things on fire more easily, which would open up a great many new trap opportunities.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Aside from the operator running away, what's wrong with the ballista? I know the catapult is broken but I can't see a single large arced projectile being very effective against the sort of targets currently in the game anyway.</STRONG>

Well, they take quite a bit of work to create (plus ammo is OMG expensive in resources and non-reusable).
Opperators are hard to train.
Fixed firing direction.
Low accuracy (my marksdwarves tend to only hit things that are non-moving due to the "lets shoot at where it was and not where it will be" logic of aiming and they fire significantly more often than a balista).

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Are you playing the same game as we are?    :roll:

I don't think dwarves should have flame cannons, but I think they ought to be able to light things on fire more easily, which would open up a great many new trap opportunities.</STRONG>

The dwarves in the game are sort of like proto-dwarves with serious AI issues. Also, a lot of the things that kill dwarves are caused by the player, who is only human.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

If you don't like the idea of flame cannons, how about just adding oil and lamps?

It is easily explained in terms of the mythos, as oil could either be mineral (in which case it could be presented gameplay wise as pockets of fluid found in rock; "xdwarf cancels dig, found oily rock" anyone?), or animal/vegetable (as an booze-like substance made by rendering down fat possibly?). This would then allow you to either a)flood an area with oil as you would water, which instead of depositing mud, would deposit !oily slick!, or b)you can 'build' an oil slick, maybe using one barrel of oil for a 3x3 area for example.

Once this slick is deployed however, you can tell the dwarves to ignite it, whereupon the nearest dwarf will grab a lamp or torch and hurl it onto the slick => BAM instant goblin flambe.

Further, when the torches/lamps aren't toasting little green men, they could be installed as light sources in the wall of your fortress, which would tie in nicely with Toady's goal of the whole darkness/lighting upgrades.

Also, we need blackpowder. Not in guns or cannons, but as blasting charges (say, removes  a star shaped chunk of material in x, y and z directions), which might then finally make the alchemist's labratory a worthwhile building.

Oh, btw, I'm a new poster, but I've been playing & lurking for a while. Hello everyone.

[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: Osmosis Jones ]

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 [2]