Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Argh! "Fish Cleaner cancels seek infant: infant inaccessible"  (Read 3042 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Argh! "Fish Cleaner cancels seek infant: infant inaccessible"
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:49:54 pm »

Alright, well one of my fish cleaners was jailed for moving a finished goods bin to the trade depot: Apparently my mayor loves hoary marmot leather so much he even wants to keep the goblin loincloths. Her sentence is 45 days... not so bad really, since my only Fisherdwarf was killed in the ambush that provided the goblin loincloths, so it's not like she is a useful member of society.

What is annoying is that she has 4 children, including a baby. This baby likes to wander off, and she's stuck in the jailcell. This results in me being spammed with "Fish Cleaner cancels seek infant: infant inaccessible" messages. Do I have to put up with this for 45 days? Is there any way to stop it?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Argh! "Fish Cleaner cancels seek infant: infant inaccessible"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »

Shut down your jails, either by removing their designation as a room, or, the cooler way (if it's a chain), order your dwarves to deconstruct the chain, so that the dwarf will be wearing the chain but not be restricted to the area.  Then you have your own free-range prisoner dwarf that can fight in the colleseum against other prisoners.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:29 pm »

or you could turn off cancellation messages.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:44:34 am »

If you're lucky the baby has a deadly accident soon. Babies have a tendency of crawling off high edges and falling to death if they're not held by their mother
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:48:17 am »

The tendency of dwarven babies to suicide is tragic and hilarious.

For instance, in one of my forts I was working on a cistern to power a few flood traps, and I accidentally tunneled into the brook for part of the underground section. This caused a moderate flood (eventually controlled) which, in turn, caused a number of mothers to drop their babies upon being slammed with flowing water. My WTF moments started to come when I was getting death messages, and using the stocks menu I eventually found several dead babies in my reservoir. My best guess, of course, is that their widdle baby eyes couldn't tell the reservoir from the layers of water coverings on their actual mothers.

Urist McBaby: Mama? Is that yo-*burble burble blurp dead*
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:57:11 pm »

The amusing part of that to me is the thought of your bookkeeper counting up the dead babies to properly record them in your stocks menu.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »

The amusing part of that to me is the thought of your bookkeeper counting up the dead babies to properly record them in your stocks menu.

A valuable commodity needs to be recorded properly.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »

A valuable commodity needs to be recorded properly.

Baby bone bolts.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:39:05 pm »

"Four... five... six."  *scratches symbols onto stone tablet*  "Yep, that looks about right.  Now, to count the plump helmets."
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 05:45:28 am »

HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:11 pm »

I don't think infants actually actively suicide.  I think they just get washed away by even small amounts of water.  I had a motherless infant grow to childhood even though there was an easily acessable handrail-less drop into the aquifer for her to drop from.  She just crawled around and at some point adopted a cat. 

Maybe cats prevent infant suicide. 

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 01:38:37 pm »

I don't think infants actually actively suicide.  I think they just get washed away by even small amounts of water.  I had a motherless infant grow to childhood even though there was an easily acessable handrail-less drop into the aquifer for her to drop from.  She just crawled around and at some point adopted a cat. 

Maybe cats prevent infant suicide. 

See, cats prevent fun. Another reason to kill them!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:13 am »

I've had dwarven mothers shoot their babies into ponds after giving birth.

I know that what's really happening is that they decide to hop into the pond the split second they're born, but still. Messed up, but kinda funny.

My fort has already had three babies die that way. Two to the same pond. I'm waiting for a mother to give birth on a ledge or something.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 08:58:16 am »

I had a baby end up in my moat, presumably due to being born in the middle of sparring near a gap in my walls (she was a good 5 tiles away from moma when born).  Funnier part was that, in spit of managing to drop some wall sections to damn the moat to perform a rescue, the baby would climb up the steps, then promptly walk back into the pit (I build stairs down into the moat first, but had the same trouble).  It was a cycle of up-north-west-fall down.  In the end I used a manager utility to move her to her mother.

Latter, the mother died in a sparing session.  Her husband and grown children were fine (so many of my champions and kin have the 'doesn't care about anything anymore' trait (which is odd since I haven't had very many deaths, but most of them were in sparring...).  The baby, however, became very unhappy, and a month or so latter ended up dead below my water-wheels.  Not sure if she just jumped/fell in on the ground or took a dive from the walls above them.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 11:41:31 am »

HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

Press "o" for options, then keep pressing "x" until it says "Announce no job cancellations".
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...