Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Diplomacy (Board game) - Is there any interest?  (Read 7090 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Diplomacy (Board game) - Is there any interest?
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:25:45 pm »

I recently found the game Diplomacy in my basement and decided I might want to do a game of it on the forums. I don't want to type the rules out just yet, as I don't know if enough people will want to play.

There is also a small problem: getting a board picture up

So: Is there any interest in playing this, and are there any ideas on how to do the board pic?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy (Board game) - Is there any interest?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »

This has already been done, though through a third party.  Specifically, http://webdiplomacy.net/index.php.  It's a good program which automatically GM's the game, and you can start a private game on it if you wish.  Akroma, I believe, went on to do really well in the site's championship (at least she was first seed in the second round).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:11:57 pm »

I'd definately have another go at the game.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:39:23 pm »

muhaha, I am ranked 6th place in the ghost rating of this site. the ghost rating is a more accurate way to measure a players success, way more accurate than the point system

and actually, I don't think I'll have another bay12 game. people around here have a bad case of the sore-loser syndrom, and quit the game the first moment they see they can't win

and people who quit midway ruin the game
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 01:01:04 pm »

I didn't. At least, I don't remember quiting...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:19:53 pm »

ahh, what the hell, my current games are about to end, and it is a diplomats duty to spread the hobby. if you can get 6 players, count me in as seventh
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 04:22:08 pm »

I'm in, as long as we get a sizable amount of time to post our turns.

And... yeah, rules please. I've never actually played before.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »

http://webdiplomacy.net/

the frontpage explains the rules quite well.

however, this explains only the basic game mechanisms, leaving out important things:

each year has two turns, spring and autumn. you only capture a new center if you are there in AUTUMN. don't get into it in spring and then move out of it in autumn, thinking you captured it already.

new units can only be build in your starting centers

when a unit gets dislodged, it can retreat to any area that is currently empty, under the condition that the unit that dislodged it didn't move from there, and that no units clashed in that region unable to enter it. look out for that unless you want your enemy to suddenly be behind you

also: while lying and plotting is a huge part of the game, trust is as well. no one can win alone, and allies are just as important as enemies. sometimes, not backstabbing on a good opportunity might be the better choice

the wikipedia article in the first post also explains the rules in detail

I think 48 hour phases would be appropriate

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 04:38:28 pm »

48 is fine with me, but Collage takes up most of my weekdays. Not to mention the fact that I'm in Jersey on Englishland time.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:39 pm »

don't worry, if we play on the website, living in a different timezone will be no problem. just make sure your diplomacy is detailed

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 07:28:10 pm »

I'm in

As long as we do it on the website.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 07:31:22 pm »

2 more and I make it Pimm's o'clock.

Currently 1:30 in the morning.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:55:13 pm »

By the website, you guys mean the webdiplomacy.net one, correct?

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 08:01:39 pm »

Yes

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »

I have the original board game too....

I could only play it once because no one I know likes a game where you have to write down all your orders...

But I love it... Pure strategy...

But we would have to plan time ranges for Diplomacy (I think it was 15 minutes face to face) and for war (everyone types their actions simultaneously).

but, whoever has to draw the map chances will have a load of work...

FAKE EDIT:  Oh... I notice that there's some auto GM... cool...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4