Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchuring Animals without Taming them?  (Read 858 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Butchuring Animals without Taming them?
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:53:18 pm »

I recently caught a horde of monkeys in my cage traps. I've found that after I tame them, they can be designated for slaughter, but not before. It seems rather unnecessary to tame have to tame them before killing them, and also is annoying because it dumps a seed in the cage. Is there any way to skip this step?

Also, what should I do with caged goblins?  I have two captured, stripped of their stuff, and now they're just sitting in my cage stockpile. Whenever I try to move them to a different cage they somehow escape... only to get captured again by another trap.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchuring Animals without Taming them?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:08 pm »

Kill them with a way that doesn't destroy corpses. So trap hallway, dropping, and good old fashioned beatings all work.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:01:08 pm »

Deconstructing the cage with the goblins still inside means you can relocate the goblins without the same risks as if you just reassign them.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 06:06:54 pm »

Wild Animals:
Build a slaughtering pit by making a small room below an opening - channeled out, 1 tile is all you need. Designate it as a pit < i >, all 9 tiles (1 + 8 surrounding).

Build/Place the cages, with animals, immediately next to the pit.

If they're not dangerous, station a Wrestling trainee below the opening - if dangerous, have someone with top-quality layered armour and a (silver/wooden?) weapon. (Armour should protect them, and the lower-quality weapon means more practice. If you want to be safe, stations several such - same amount of hits/practice, but faster kill overall.)

Then, use the Pit menu to select which animal to dump.  This works for gobbos too, but it's critical to have the cages placed adjacent to the pit or they might/will escape.

When they take the dive, the trainees activate and turn them into suet.

Place a bone stockpile at the bottom for easier cleanup.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 06:38:19 pm »

Wild Animals:
Build a slaughtering pit by making a small room below an opening - channeled out, 1 tile is all you need. Designate it as a pit < i >, all 9 tiles (1 + 8 surrounding).

Only the tile over Open Space will actually register as a pit, so you don't need to designate the whole 3x3 area, just the one tile.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:44:52 pm »

Deconstructing the cage with the goblins still inside means you can relocate the goblins without the same risks as if you just reassign them.
But they're not constructed... they're sitting in my stockpile.

Wild Animals:

Build/Place the cages, with animals, immediately next to the pit.

If they're not dangerous, station a Wrestling trainee below the opening - if dangerous, have someone with top-quality layered armour and a (silver/wooden?) weapon. (Armour should protect them, and the lower-quality weapon means more practice. If you want to be safe, stations several such - same amount of hits/practice, but faster kill overall.)

Then, use the Pit menu to select which animal to dump.  This works for gobbos too, but it's critical to have the cages placed adjacent to the pit or they might/will escape.

When they take the dive, the trainees activate and turn them into suet.

Place a bone stockpile at the bottom for easier cleanup.
Seems kind of excessive and difficult... Is there any other way to simply kill them? I don't need training or anything...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »

Release them in a room full of weapon traps.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:02:25 pm »

Release them in a room full of weapon traps.
Hmm... easy... efficient... I like it.

Now, how do I go about getting them to the room? Whenever I try to assign them to a different cage they escape, and when I try to build a cage I just get to pick from 20 Iron cages... no goblin/monkey cages.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »

"Whenever I try to move them to a different cage they somehow escape"

Answer: Don't move them to a different cage. Move the cage they're -in-.

You can inspect the cages while you're in the "list of 20 iron cages" to see what's inside.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:18 pm »

Whenever I try to assign them to a different cage they escape, and when I try to build a cage I just get to pick from 20 Iron cages... no goblin/monkey cages.

Press 'x' when selecting a cage to build, and you'll see each individual cage, rather than having them grouped by their material.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:19:14 pm »

Designate a pit somewhere convinient.
Station a squad there.
Station another squad on the stockpile.
One of the two will attack them.

's why I love having a strong military.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 08:31:34 am »

I generally build a chain near my cage stockpile and then station my military there.  When I want to kill stuff (gobbos, etc.) then I just assign them to the chain.  Someone will come and chain him up.  Then the military cuts him down.

Of course with animals I'd recommend taming them first so you can train up an animal trainer (pun intended) for faster war dog training.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.