Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves Request Clothing  (Read 2102 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Request Clothing
« on: September 09, 2009, 02:21:34 pm »

I'm imagining this as an 'order', so a person could choose to ignore clothing deterioration, replace xclothingx (or worse), replace XclothingX (or worse), only replace when the item had deteriorated completely, etc.

A dwarf's Pig Tail Trousers wear out and it's getting a bit breezy, so the dwarf (when he has no mission critical job to do, or perhaps RIGHT THEN for great fun) goes to the Clothier's shop or the Leatherworker's shop (either based on leather/cloth at hand, or preference, and queues up a 'create plant fiber trousers' job and picks them up when they are made. This could be free, before the economy and a paid service afterward.

This would not only be useful in climates where cloth protects you, and a flavor thing if you like neat dwarfs, but it would eat up that elvish cloth you steal as well.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Request Clothing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:36:18 pm »

Clothing is so bizarre right now that I don't even bother with it.  Same with the economy.  Not that my forts would usually last long enough to require either...

It would be interesting if dwarves could behave semiautonomously when requesting goods, especially when queueing up obvious work.  It could be enormously frustrating if it was the default, but having consumer goods (of which there are currently very few) handled on demand would be cool, especially once the economy kicks in.  Before all of that, however, I'd rather just have a window that updated me on the most recent grievances of dwarves, so I can see if clothes are running low (or food or water or booze or whatever).  Could work similar to the broker window, in that you need to hire a dwarf to keep track of everyone's mood.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:59:54 pm »

Clothing is so bizarre right now that I don't even bother with it.

Yeah this. I like what you say about a 'happiness manager' dwarf, but I'm sure that's in some nobles-changes thread somwhere...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:05:44 pm »

If I recall correctly, next version's upgrades will help alleviate some of the trouble with clothing. For myself, the ability to do ANYTHING about those XclothesX would be spec-TACULAR.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:00:47 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing them clean up their clothing and owned items as well. I know they that do (sometimes...) stuff old clothing into cabinets if you give them, but my nobles don't seem to be putting their requisitioned items into their many chests.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:31:33 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing them clean up their clothing and owned items as well. I know they that do (sometimes...) stuff old clothing into cabinets if you give them, but my nobles don't seem to be putting their requisitioned items into their many chests.

Did they ever do this?

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 11:09:06 am »

Perhaps a workshop could be put into "request mode"?

This could be a togglable state, sort of like the use of a cage or restraint (and all in the room built from it, but anyway) for justice. Put the workshop in that state, and you lose direct control over it; instead, it will queue up an order anytime a dwarf has relevant work to request. Perhaps by means of a meeting(very brief Conduct Meeting with the manager), perhaps by visiting the workshop, perhaps either. This workshop would also be exempt from your own specified work orders, and you could use workshop profiles to control who does what work. (You want a new pair of leather mittens? The newbie leatherworker can do that. Need five quivers made for a new squad of marksdwarves? Put it in the manager and Urist McLegendary can do it.)

This could, mind, also tie in with the notion of standing orders - e.g. whenever your stock of drink falls below X, queue a brew order at any request-mode still. For that matter, being able to fold auto-orders into this system(as an option in game, not hard-coded or even init-coded) would be nice. Queue up a prepared-food order now and then; leave a DIFFERENT kitchen to keep rendering the fat(which honestly should be an auto-order, as with fish cleaning). There are possibilities in butchery, too. Auto-order the butchery of corpses and put your best butchers in that shop, to get to them before they rot; leave the slaughter of live animals to manual orders and the newbies(because, even once slaughter is no longer instant, at least the live animal won't rot).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:02:41 pm »

You know, this could be a very easy extension of the current system, and could replace some of the auto-queued job behavior.

Basically, if a dwarf requests something, and you don't have it, put a job to create it in the queue. If a job has required materials, and you don't have any, put that job in the queue also. Then, using the job Manager settings, the player can either release a particular job individually, or mark  a particular kind of job (Smelt Hematite Ore, say) as an auto-release, or an auto-release as long there's as least X of the input stock available. With a little work on the job system (jobs need to be refined into a Verb/Object system, so you can have your spinners not make Pig Tail thread because you're saving that for brewing, but happy to make rope reed... or let you Slaughter Cow automatically once you've developed a breeding stock... ) this could be a really elegant way to make that manager position matter... When a dwarf wants something, he has a quick meeting with the Manager and that all gets queued up, and he gets an unhappy thought if he fails to get his request within a certain time, so an efficient manager can really help keep your dwarves happy.

And, when perishables (raw fish, fresh hides, fat, who knows what all else might show up -- salting/smoking meat, anyone?) are created, you can dump them into the same queue. Again an efficient manager will help get these jobs done without rot happening.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »

Did they ever do this?

If a dwarf has worn out clothing, has replaced the item, and owns a cabinet, they will place the worn clothing in the cabinet, which you can see by using "view i't'ems in buildings" and selecting the proper cabinet. The same is true of other owned items (like crafts) and chests. It doesn't apply to clothing torn off while wrestling, though.

There might also be a limit to the number and kind of items that can be stored in cabinets or chests, as my dungeon master has only 3 cloaks in his cabinet but 8 more strewn about his rooms, while my mayor has 7 items in his cabinet, mostly narrow trousers and 1 mitt. Likewise my count/consort own a couple pieces of crafts, but only a few of them have been placed in chests.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »

Did they ever do this?

If a dwarf has worn out clothing, has replaced the item, and owns a cabinet, they will place the worn clothing in the cabinet, which you can see by using "view i't'ems in buildings" and selecting the proper cabinet. The same is true of other owned items (like crafts) and chests. It doesn't apply to clothing torn off while wrestling, though.

There might also be a limit to the number and kind of items that can be stored in cabinets or chests, as my dungeon master has only 3 cloaks in his cabinet but 8 more strewn about his rooms, while my mayor has 7 items in his cabinet, mostly narrow trousers and 1 mitt. Likewise my count/consort own a couple pieces of crafts, but only a few of them have been placed in chests.

I knew about cabinets (hope to Armok they'll be better next version) but I never knew that nobles would put items in chests.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 01:41:28 am »

are you kidding my fortress has a mandatory dress code, jeans and tshirts for the guys and short skirts for the gals. come to think of it i probably should make some blouses...

alright enough kidding around. frankly enough i don't think i've made a single article of clothing besides armor in the entire year that i've been playing this game...

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »

As it stands, the poor handling of old clothing makes it arguably preferable to suffer the unhappy thoughts from worn-out clothes.

If dwarves relinquished ownership of clothing they had all-out replaced(no hoarding pairs of XXpig tail socksXX ), or even better, could be ordered to dump them - or if orders could allow clothing beneath a certain quality of wear to be considered refuse, and it would decay in the refuse stockpile - but, on the other hand, dwarves had far stronger thoughts about the condition of their clothing, the industry could be much more viable.

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 05:57:08 pm »

I really like the spirit of this idea with a few personal tweaks. My ideal image of it is that a dwarf goes to the workshop, orders the item, it goes into the queue but is superceded by any player ordered items and can possibly specify quality at something affordable so that Urist McHauler doesn't order a new pair of socks and ends up with ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼ and have to starve to death (because honestly, who can turn down a fresh pair of ☼Cave Spider Silk Socks☼?). Then the next available crafter comes to take the order and leaves it at the shop for the orderer to pick up at their leisure. This should apply to just about any crafted good. Dwarf wants a toy? Go to the craftsdwarf shop. Want a somthing metal? Go to the smith. You get the idea. No request mode but maybe turn off requests in the workshop profile.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 10:11:11 am »

One advantage of being able to set "modes" for particular workshops, though tangent to this, is in the form of any workshop you might want on repeat order. Glass furnaces set to collect sand(assuming that task isn't divorced from them entirely); mason's shops making blocks; once you've found adamantine, a craftsdwarf's shop dedicated to strand extracting; maybe some shop making bolts full-time to keep your marksdwarves practising.

If you could set a workshop as "Manual orders only" vs "Manager assigns orders", having a third option for "Dwarves request orders" would allow for some more division. Your main workshops can keep churning out the items you want for your fortress, while the dwarves can still get their clothes replaced without so much micromanagement on your part. All without your sand collection grinding to a halt because there are 9 sand-using tasks for every 1 sand collection. (And queueing up 10 sand collecting jobs isn't perfect. Or at least, I've had a loom full of 10 "Collect Web" tasks on repeat, and somehow the game squeezed in two other tasks about weaving thread.)

Making dwarven requests a lower priority than manager orders might be another way to handle that, though I'd still want the option to remove a workshop from auto-management.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 10:46:54 am »

This would of course be dependant on how the next version(s) handle the ownership, anwyay, but I foresee a situation where a Noble-like "I would like some new silk socks" request.  Which would be shorn of hammerer-involving punishments if not fulfilled, but may produce a short-term unhappy thought while the Dwarf gets used to alternate dressing arrangement having had the socks finally disintigrate, or having to make do with plant-fibre ones instead.

If the socks are made (and this would ideally need a "make silk socks: for Urist McSmellyFeet" distinction to the job manager or worskhop control, or at least give an opportunity for Urist McSmellyFeet to lay dibs on them once they've been created[1]) and claimed, then a 'hoarding' element to the personality[2] would dictate whether or not they relinquished their old items, or kept them lying around/in suitable container-furniture item.  Relinquished items of some kinds might even be 'darned', resewn or patched up in a smithy (accordingly) and become available as 'seconds' to the Dwarf-on-a-budget who still wants socks.  Or as low quality trade goods.  Or for use as cleaning rags by those keeping the sparring area clear of bloodspatter.

In fact, another personality trait regarding being a "follower of fashion" or not could dictate at what point they consider wanting a new item (from "new item(s) every season" to "wear it till it drops off in tatters").  Some dwars would be more demanding, some less.  And there could be a social-interaction element.  'Grungers' mix well with other 'grungers', fashionistas with fashionistas, but social 'jarring' of one level or another between the two groups.

This is, of course, more a meta-idea of many facets than a full-bodied focused suggestion.  Feel free to pick and choose what elements you like and dislike and run with/without them accordingly!

[1] Though I think that deliberately denying a sock-requester the socks he/she wants, while creating complementary socks for everyone else would suit some players' playing styles. :)

[2] Perhaps defined similar to suggestion I made in passing a while ago: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38800.msg654649#msg654649..?
Pages: [1] 2