Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] *spoilers* HFS metal not surrounding HFS  (Read 2611 times)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] *spoilers* HFS metal not surrounding HFS
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:01:31 pm »

I assumed this was already in the bugs list but I just checked and it isn't - I posted the question on the podcast thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] *spoilers* HFS metal not surrounding HFS
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:41 pm »

the HFS does not have to be in the best metal you can find it does have to be in the same location though
Back to Mafia with me!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:19:27 pm »

Orthoclase and microcline? At least to most of the community you'd probably be just confirming the evil of those substances. I'e built a castle of 'em.

(Alunite will complete the trifecta)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:40:35 pm »

the HFS does not have to be in the best metal you can find it does have to be in the same location though

Er, the entire point of the HFS metal is to hold the HFS captive. If there's a way out then it sort of defeats the purpose.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 05:52:23 pm »

Er, the entire point of the HFS metal is to hold the HFS captive. If there's a way out then it sort of defeats the purpose.

Maybe the HFS just don't have any picks...
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:04:06 pm »

Interesting theory especially if you consider they have everything they need to make one except for that conundrum that you need a anvil to make a anvil.

Apparently in dwarf fort anvils bring balance to the universe.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 07:21:51 pm »

Right - in the current game, due to game mechanics they can't PHYSICALLY get out of there regardless, but the reason the Adamantine is there in the first place is because the Gods trapped the demons in it at the dawn of time. Therefore, logically, it is intended to be fully surrounding the inhabitants. Just because they can't dig (and in fact, aren't spawned until the pit is breached) doesn't change the way the game represents the situation.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 12:44:17 pm »

Well adamantine to demons could be like holy water is to vampires.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:10:08 am »

This occured in my very first game that's long since been deleted. Large orthoclase cluster intersecting HFS room - broke through natural orthoclase wall, and whupz. Spirit of Fire with a few dozen frog demons. I was just thankful it wasn't the other way around.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 03:11:53 pm »

It kind of just extends outward, not really surrounding it.

Here's an example: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-16248-hfsspoiler
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 07:29:41 pm »

I opened my first pit before striking adamantine. Needless to say, it was Fun.

I think this is on purpose, to add unpredictability, because it would probably be pretty easy to have the pit show up in the exact center of a large vein every time if it were intended to do so.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 11:41:31 am »

Right - in the current game, due to game mechanics they can't PHYSICALLY get out of there regardless, but the reason the Adamantine is there in the first place is because the Gods trapped the demons in it at the dawn of time. Therefore, logically, it is intended to be fully surrounding the inhabitants. Just because they can't dig (and in fact, aren't spawned until the pit is breached) doesn't change the way the game represents the situation.

Well it has been some time since the gods did that. In fact, it's been all of time. I mean, if the gods were really serious about this they'd have made adamantine immune to dwarven picks, right? Maybe the original encasements were better.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:59 pm »

Well it has been some time since the gods did that. In fact, it's been all of time. I mean, if the gods were really serious about this they'd have made adamantine immune to dwarven picks, right? Maybe the original encasements were better.

You know, that's an interesting point. If Adamantine is immune to fault separation and whatever, maybe it should also require Strand Extraction to even get the ore out (or something). So I guess this becomes an open question for Toady: is it intended that the shell be breached by other rock types? If so, shouldn't there be some sort of negative effect (psychic attacks/possession from the HFS, as above) if it is?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »

^^^ HFS will be different in the next version anyway, and this isn't really the place for suggestions / dev talk.  Toady has enough of a bug reports backlog as it is.