Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Preserving the supply of cave spider silk  (Read 2924 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving the supply of cave spider silk
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:26 pm »

If you captured a cave spider, surely they will keep respawning like any other vermin near your chasm/underground river? That seems to be the case for me. My trouble is not cats killing spiders, but spiders spamming the areas I've cleared near the river away from my fortress rather than the areas I've cleared near my weavers, giving them a much longer run.

Not that it matters much. I've probably used more than 500 silk already making silk crafts, silk bags, sewing images on them and the narrow/large clothing I've collected, and nothing to buy with them.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 09:24:56 am »

If you captured a cave spider, surely they will keep respawning like any other vermin near your chasm/underground river? That seems to be the case for me. My trouble is not cats killing spiders, but spiders spamming the areas I've cleared near the river away from my fortress rather than the areas I've cleared near my weavers, giving them a much longer run.

Not that it matters much. I've probably used more than 500 silk already making silk crafts, silk bags, sewing images on them and the narrow/large clothing I've collected, and nothing to buy with them.

It's possible to overhunt vermin so they stop spawning though. In theory, your cats can destroy your silk industry. As many players have realized, cats are pure evil, if we could train dogs to hunt vermin we would all enjoy a last meal of cat tallow biscuit before retiring the feline menace to be something in old cave drawings.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

It's possible to overhunt vermin so they stop spawning though. In theory, your cats can destroy your silk industry. As many players have realized, cats are pure evil, if we could train dogs to hunt vermin we would all enjoy a last meal of cat tallow biscuit before retiring the feline menace to be something in old cave drawings.

So sad that that wouldn't actually work.  They either hunt vermin or don't.  It comes with the [verminhunter] tag.  What's worse, the 'uninterested' status that is the horror of cats in the first place is tied to [verminhunter].  It's a question of what's worse, catsplosion or verminsplosion?

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 01:02:14 pm »

I can confirm this. I've captured phantom spiders, tamed them, and dumped them deep into the earth. They produced webs just fine. They also disappeared, as you said, but they reappeared a short time later.

I don't know if cave spiders, or other vermin, have life spans, so I don't know how long tamed cave spiders roaming about would stick around.

I recently got a tame bat in a cage from a trader, the little fella blasted happily around my fortress for about a season until it was never seen again. My embark site did not feature any bats so I knew it was the tame one every time I saw it.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:17:38 pm »

So sad that that wouldn't actually work.  They either hunt vermin or don't.  It comes with the [verminhunter] tag.  What's worse, the 'uninterested' status that is the horror of cats in the first place is tied to [verminhunter].  It's a question of what's worse, catsplosion or verminsplosion?

Catsplosions are definitely worse.  Vermin really aren't an issue as long as you have enough good things for your dwarves.  My dwarves are always being accosted by terrible vermin but are also always ecstatic.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »

Trappers. I employ trappers. And wooden cages. And magma, if I'm feeling like getting rid of my collection. Cats be darned, migrant cat owners join the army. The cats are quite loyal, often taking a crossbow bolt for their owner. Shame that, but I'm sure mittens would want you to go on living.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice
Pages: 1 [2]