Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Wars of the Celestial Lord - a game of intrigue, strategy and roleplay  (Read 22138 times)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Wars of the Celestial Lord - a game of intrigue, strategy and roleplay
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2009, 07:02:33 am »

Akroma (& everyone else as well) : You took heavy losses in the battle (less than 30, however when morale breaks, people run, you can always execute them if you wish). However since you retreated back to your city your dead were replaced by fresh units. Replacements always happen automatically when player armies are in their own cities (except if players say otherwise). Resupplying in other people's cities is possible, but only with their agreement.

Slaughtering horses to make food won't work. 100 horses can't possibly feed 2000 people for a week. Of course if sometime later in the game there are enough horses, I should warn you that this counts as changing units, so unit experience is lost.

Dwarmin : Sorry, a typo. Experience for your unit is still Green, it's Morale that is Low. Your plan failed because the enemy attacked you as soon as they saw you. Your men did not even have time to prepare the traps.

My apologies about the sparcity of the battle results. It takes me something like 2 hours to update the turn and players are always complaining (over IRC) that turn change just takes too long. It's just a compromise, but I'll try to be more wordy in battle results in the future.

Cavalry (like any other unit) doesn't gain bonuses when attacking or penalties when defending. The current bonuses in battle are : Ambush (Tactics roll to see if a general has ambushed the other, or automatically granted if the player has described a great tactic in detail), Entrenchment (when your units have had a bit of time to dig in, build some trenches and other defenses, this takes at least a turn to do properly), Fortification (when fighting in a city, the defender gains a bonus that depends on the size of the city). Individual units also gain bonuses if they fight against the unit type that is weak against them (Cavalry > Archers > Infantry > Cavalry).

I hope this clears up the confusion a bit.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:49 am »

Thanks, my turn is done.

I understand the difficulty in writing 8 full battle reports for every turn lol.
Don't stress it too much, we can fill in the blanks ourselves.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:48:10 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2009, 10:23:45 am »

((OOC: Mephansteras, i dont know if youve noticed, but anykind of dealing with barbarians is going to end up with you condemned for execution.))

Hmm...didn't think that applied to asking enemy cities to surrender. Istrian, is there something unlawful about that action? If there is I'll change it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2009, 10:45:39 am »

"...they wait now for your decision, my lord." Finished her Captain. Lola looked up, seeing the expectant look on his face.
Tel the men to again surround the enemy. But leave a corridor of retreat for them. When they flee along this corridor a second group will descend upon them, destroying them."

Orders:
Attack the Barbarians again

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:11 am »

((OOC: Mephansteras, i dont know if youve noticed, but anykind of dealing with barbarians is going to end up with you condemned for execution.))

Hmm...didn't think that applied to asking enemy cities to surrender. Istrian, is there something unlawful about that action? If there is I'll change it.

According to the first post, even talking with a barbarian is grounds for treason. Of course, I can only assume this applies more strictly to the lower classes and nobles of either side get a little more leeway. Remember, don't think like a 20th century human here. We don't show barbarians mercy. They don't show us any. Most of us still believe the enemy are Demons from Hell, not actual people. I'm guessing they won't surrender, though you could intimidate them into fleeing...it's up to Istrian though.

If your prepared for the fallout though, go ahead and lead us into a "golden age of understanding" among our fellow man. ;)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2009, 11:47:54 am »

OOC: Hehe. Well, Zei-Ran is sort of that 'Noble Warrior' mindset. He sees the enemies as a chance to find worthy adversaries to test his mettle against, so I think he may actually see them more as men then most others do. And as such he sees no honor is killing off defeated foes. Well, if his offer is unlawful I'll change it to an offer to challenge the Barbarian leader to combat for the city. He'll even let the barbarian bring some bodyguards to the fight to even the odds.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »

According to the first post, even talking with a barbarian is grounds for treason.

(OOC: Of course! But Meph is not talking to the barbaric fools...he's only sending them a message. No reason to talk to such barbaric people, you might catch their barbaric nature...but if you just communicate via messages, forever, the Immortal God-Emperor should be okay with that.

Now, raising a Barbarian child on other hand...glares at Navian)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2009, 12:23:29 pm »

That is correct. Asking a barbarian to surrender is an act of treason. It is also very difficult, mostly because they don't speak (and even less, read or write) the same language. Besides, if they actually did surrender, you'd have to slaughter them, because it's the law. And the barbarians know that as well. So their chances of surrendering are close to 0%. They'd rather fight because that'd give them more chances of surviving.

Mephansteras : I assume you don't send a message to the barbarians. If you still want to do so, you can always do it next turn (they aren't going anywhere).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2009, 12:39:34 pm »

Ok, my orders change slightly:

Send out scouts to make sure no enemy forces are abroad in the area north of the pass (other then in the city).
If there are, we'll attack them. If not, we lay siege to the City. Oh, and we leave a few scouts in the pass to make sure no enemies sneak through it while we're engaged up north. Holding the pass is still the first priority.

If we do siege, we'll taunt the enemy commander into meeting Zei-Ran in single combat. If he's cowardly, we'll even offer to let him bring a few bodyguards to help him even the odds. (Which is probably just insulting to the Barbarians, but even if they take him up on the offer Zei-Ran would feel he'd be up to the challenge).

Come play Mafia with us!

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »

Turn 10, Spring

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Events

General Status

Armies

Heroes

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2009, 06:51:21 pm »

After quickly brushing aside these poorly trained infantry, Zei-Ran makes his way towards the city. He gazes up at the walls, carefully out of bowshot range, and calls out for the Barbarian commanders to leave their cowardly position and face him in honorable combat.

Yun Wong stands at the bow of the ship, eyeing the wreckage of the barbarian merchant fleet he has so recently destroyed. Word of his deeds has reached Zei-Ran, who's praise has filled the young commander's heart with joy. If he does well, perhaps he too shall become a renowned Commander of the Celestial Lord's armies!

--
Orders: Scouts continue to sweep the northern part of the island looking for holes in the barbarian's defenses and any troops they may attempt to move around us.

Zei-Ran's cavalry will move to the east, where Zei-Ran will challenge the Barbarian commander's to combat. His wounded rider will return to the city to recover.

Meanwhile, Yun Wong will continue to sweep the waters for merchant fleets. His current orders are for him to swing SW, then once he is past the city to his west to move SE and harass the shipping of that Barbarian City.
Come play Mafia with us!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2009, 10:14:27 pm »

Duan rode into the Kojo, very annoyed. He had hoped for an easy victory and a quick scouting mission, but fate has turned against him and now it seemed he would be denied it...at least he had the advantage of fresh reinforcements...he did not want to disband his horsemen, not now. Even in defeat his men were learning. Becoming acclimated to war. Indeed...

Actions
Rest up my men to full strength

Move to (40, -12) stealthily and ambush the enemy cavalry from the forests. I will again seek the enemy commanders life. He's a smart one, can't let him get away.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2009, 01:36:14 am »

Jierui almost smiled. They had gotten into the city now, and the barbarians wouldn't have a chance anymore. It was time to press the attack.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2009, 04:40:40 am »

"My men, I have asked so much from you, and you have given me even more. Never could my own glory surpass what all of you combined have created. Each and every one of you, a hero. Many of you have not served longer than a month, and yet, in your glory, you are already equal to the celestial elites.
Today, I salute you. And eventhough the siege has deprived us of much, I shall open my personal wine cellar, because heroes like you deserve a festival to their honor!"

*loud cheering*

"The enemy is fleeing from our enormous might. And we are given the order to pursue. But not tonight. Tonight we shall party and tomorrow we shall rest. Let the enemy *attempt* to flee for all that he is worth. Even with a night of festivals and a day of rest, we can still catch up to them. So I ask you, once we are done destroying what little wine I have left in my cellars, who of you is up to slaughter some barbarians, capture their city, and restock on wine from those fools who dare to attack the glorious people of Mardukane?!"

*more loud cheering*

"Then let the festival begin!"

-----------------------

To reward the men for the hardship they have endured and for their heroic victory, a festival is held.

Saddling his new destrier, the noble horse Lightning Sand, Munisai takes with him the veteran units of cavalry and Infantry, and moves to pursue the enemy. Kestrel will come with them, leading a freshly trained unit of cavalry. Because he is wounded, he is advised not to duel with any leaders. Not an order, just advise.
On a horse as fast as this, catching up to them should be no problem at all. It's time to slaughter these fools, before they can attempt to stop the revolting that is currently beginning in their city. If he manages to defeat the barbarian army before they reach the city, the city itself should offer no resistance to him at all.

also, simply to show off, here are my current stats, including all the rewards I have got:

Tactics:4
Combat:1
Leadership:2
Speed:4
Nobility:5

ohhh yeah

also, I have been appointed governor of Mardukane, but I don't know wether this would count as some sort of special trait
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:00:46 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2009, 07:04:57 am »

Apura presses the attack, seeking to locate and raid the enemy camp by cover of darkness. Oh, how she adores nighttime raids.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24