Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Wars of the Celestial Lord - a game of intrigue, strategy and roleplay  (Read 22131 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wars of the Celestial Lord - a game of intrigue, strategy and roleplay
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 02:54:17 pm »

Barbarians to the west, the scouts said. An army.
Well. They could charge recklessly into combat against an army they know nothing about.
Or they could use superior intelligence to secure a guaranteed victory.
"Forwards!" Fierban cried. They rode out of the trees onto the open plain. "Close formation, gallop! Make some dust!"
The troupe accelerated and drew closer together. Hooves scarred the earth. Dust rose. The wind blew it high into the sky. A scout drew alongside Fierban.
"Sir! The barbarians, they will see the dust and know we are coming!"
"Yes! Yes they will! But they will be wrong!"
They rode for a few hours, then Fierban signalled for them to halt.
"Dismount, everyone. Set up three tents, throw the garbage out, and bring forth the firewood! All of it!"
Confused, they obliged. The tents were set up, and the rests of food, broken arrows, and other junk that they had been carrying for some reason were strewn about the 'camp'. Kindling was brought forth, dry wood collected, trees cut down, and everything else flammable in the area was collected, with plenty of fresh, green, smoky things. A large firepit was dug, and a fire set up (but not lit). This to great confusion, as they were surely not planning on staying here for long enough to merit all this firewood. Then Fierban had them do a heavy marching drill all around the camp, churning up the earth.
Whilst this was happening, Fierban talked with five of the men, of which the three scouts. Once the preperations were complete, he told the rest to mount up, and he led them, at a slower pace, back along their earlier path.
"I think I get it, sir" remarked a trooper as they rode.
"We are riding, soldier" Fierban replied.
The trooper did not reply, but stared forwards and tried to meditate. That's what you got for riding up front, he thought. No Fierban emblem to focus on when meditating. The little flag was sown onto the back of every soldier's uniform for that purpose. It only worked for those behind someone, though.
When they reached the forest, they set up camp again. There were no fires. They watched as in the distance the dummy fire cast its red and orange glow onto it's own smoke.
"It is my opinion that this will never work, sir" remarked a soldier.
"I respect your opinion, soldier, but I do not agree. The barbarian has become dulled. If I, or any student of tactics for that matter, was in their position, I would be hiding in the woods, like the last lot. Of course, we would scout them out, but we would still not know what kind of strength they had, or where exactly they were positioned. No, the barbarian is too cocky for his own good. He will see the fires and will have seen the dust. He will sit content that we must travel through him. He might send out one or two scouts, but ours are better. They will counter-scout his scouts, and our trickery will not be revealed. He won't bother attacking, especially against cavalry. He will wait, and build up defences against us.
And when we (the real we) are in position to strike, we (the fake we) will prepare to attack. And he will be so ready for a blatant cavalry charge from the east that a sneaky night-time attack from the north will utterly destroy him.

Fierban moves north one tile (sneakily), then west two tiles (really fast and sneaky), then attacks the barbarians.
And some of you so-called generals couldn't even contemplate such a move.
Seriously you guys
Speed.
It's what war is about.

(if this isn't possible then just go one to the west and attack head on)
Long Live United Forenia!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »

"...They're all dead, Raven Hawk."

The entire army quiets, as the messenger gives the information to Raven Hawk. The messenger was assigned to Zakhonia, in order to gain information.

"The 'civilized' people has massacred every single one of our peoples. They didn't bother to enslave them, or recruit them, or anything. Just slaughtered them."

Raven Hawk says, "Can we wake them up?"

"No."

"This is barbaric, and my Father will not stand for this. The Celestials has violated the most Law of War: Never kill civilians. So...what do we do?"

"A nearby barbarian lord has stated that this Celestial has the power of healing. It would make sense that this Celestial would also master the Dark Arts too. Our best course of action is to lure this Celestial---"

"No. No we cannot waste time while this Celestial's deeds are left unpunished. We attack NOW!"

Attack Zakhonia
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 05:46:18 pm »

That wasn't so bad, Noam thought. Were it not for the oafs trickery, they would of slaughtered the soft Celestials piecemeal-instead they had lost a number of men, dead or captured, though they had took an equal number in return. Vrox was still alive, and if he were a more humble man, he might of attributed their battle's successes to his brutish bodyguards rallying charges that always seemed to drive a path where the enemies were thickest...but of course, he wasn't.

His hand stroked his beard as his invincible facade began to crack slightly-his worried mind spoke "what now?"
Damn them! Damn the accursed Celestials! This was not supposed to happen! He merely intended to ride out and pillage, not fight a war. Why not move away? There were smaller cities to crush, ones with less defenders...

But then again..he was the Sun King. Did not the Gods favor him? The enemy would only grow stronger if he dawdled. And he had no intention of letting his men rot in chains. He ordered a renewed attack. A glorious charge! One to sweep the enemy from the field! The Sun would never set! A maniacal grin spread on his face.

Within minutes his forces had gathered and began riding South, leaving naught but dust clouds in the dusky light.

Action: Noam Attacks Xian Jierui
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 05:58:48 am »

Turn 4, Spring

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Events

Armies

Heroes

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 06:16:43 am »

Apura Khon rallies her troops to go on the offensive and chase down these horse archer foes, whatever they may be planning. She will gather her energies to call a storm on the eve of battle, to disrupt enemy communications and dampen their bowstrings as her men march forward.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:22:05 am by Navian »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 07:09:09 am »

Still silently cursing to himself, Munisai saddled the giant eagle the scouts had offered him. Only a few minutes ago, news had reached him that 2 enemy forces had come forth to attack Mardukane, spotted by the very scouts he would now travel with.
It was a kind offer from them, and certainly the fastest way to reach Mardukane in time. He had to quickly train a defence force and engage the enemy in battle before the enemy forces, still divided by a good distance, were able to unite their forces in a massive attack.

He would leave his cavalry behind him, leaving them to his freshly appointed lieutnant, Kestrel Wist, to lead them to Mardukane as reinforcements.

Madara, taking the kind offer of the scouts, flies to Mardukane. 1 Unit infantry is trained. With him, he carries a magical fan, a gift from the lord himself. It would become most useful in the upcoming battles. ((I don't think I have to announce what stat-bonuses it gives me, so I will keep you guessing blindly, muhaha))

Kestrel takes the road to Mardukane, moving with great haste to reach it in time
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:20:13 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 07:56:35 am »

Lola continued her march, this time North. She sent out scouts to study the barbarians to the North, and more Scouts to the West, to gather more information about the enemy there.

Lola marches north.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 07:57:52 am »

OOC: Excellent.

"A well executed attack, men. I am proud to have you by my side. We shall rest here briefly, then carry on to [city]"
The next day they continued west. The wounded were treated well, but they did not slow unduly to facilitate them, as Fierban wished no further delays; they were already behind schedule, and, somehow, he had miscalculated the time it would take to get from the outpost to [city].
Fierban also sent a report of the happenings to his outpost.

Fierban moves as far west as possible (18,-1 (I think))
Long Live United Forenia!

Nhiphanter

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:42 am »

'Split up into four forces. West flank, East flank, south flank, and North flank. We'll encircle them at night and kill those sons of undecent camels with an all around charge before they can get themselves up from whoring and drinking. Soften your horses hooves with bags or something so they cant hear you. The south flank here sets up unnecessary amount of campfires so they still think we're all here. Understood?!'
The horsemen indicated their understanding of orders and began to prepare for the assault.
Meanwhile, a scout Ogedei had sent to the outpost in hopes of him gathering enough vital information about the place, had returned.
'General... Khan Ogedei... I regretfully report that the barbarians had too thickly placed sentry patrols. I couldnt get through. All i can say that you can expect a palisade, so a full cavalry charge into the town wouldnt work.'
Ogedei stared at the quivering scout and finally ordered him out. This wouldnt as simple as he had hoped then. He'd have to send another scout after these lousy bastards of barbarians would be done for.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:22:42 am by Nhiphanter »

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2009, 08:54:37 am »

Jierui was content with the situation. Maybe it was time to relax a little, and let the soldiers have some free time?

Actions:
- Relaxation this turn, while still keeping an eye out for the enemy. Tend to the wounded if possible.

Cancel that, pursuit. Run down the barbarian fiends.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:49:56 am by Dwarfaholic »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 01:06:46 pm »

"Excellent job, men! We've dealt these barbarians a great blow today. Now we must hold this pass. We shall dig in, set up some walls and palisades, and show these savages that they cannot have what is rightfully ours!"

The men cheer, spirits lifted by the heroic actions of their General

Zei-ran motions to his Lieutenant. "If any of the men wish personal instruction, I will conduct sparring sessions this evening. They're getting better, but they still need more training."

The Lieutenant bows and heads off to organize the men while Zei-Ran plans the defenses.

--

Hold the pass. The wounded are sent with a small guard of two soldiers back to the city to rest.

What are the rules on getting more troops?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 01:08:26 pm »

you can only get a second unit once you can support it. I believe to stock up soldiers when you had losses, you need to be in a city, or directly adjectant to one
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 01:26:18 pm »

Noam and his men were running. The charge was a disaster! Everyone was dead. They had left their wounded behind to die or be captured. Their only thoughts, panicked flight!

"You will pay celestials!" Noam raved "My ancestors will curse your fortunes! You will PAY."

Noam moves to (22, 7)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:30:01 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 02:26:01 pm »

She manages to score a minor victory and attempts to fight the barbarian lord personally, on the battlefield. She gravely wounds him, under the eyes of his soldiers.

Raven Hawk is 6 years old. To think that a grown woman would be able to fight him personally...and that the child would only be gravely wounded? No.

The army was demoralized, as they have failed to take Zakhonia back, and avenged the slaughter of civilians. They were even more demoralized when they realized that Raven Hawk's father would take revenge on his army when they realize his failure. The army, fearing for their lives, deserted Raven Hawk in the moment when he needed them most, deserting instead to other Barbarian Lords.

Raven Hawk would later die of his wounds, glad that he has fought a worthy foe.

RIP Raven Hawk. Your 8 half-turns of glory will not be forgotten.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 02:32:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Navian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:07 am »

Apura strode into the leader's tent, alone. Her enemy and his top lieutenant... How pathetic. To slay this child would be an embarassment. She called in her guards and tended to the boy, his servant would be taken captive, and the both of them returned to Zakhonia while the hunt was settled. Perhaps she could gain something from this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24