Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conveyor belt? Elevator?  (Read 987 times)

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Conveyor belt? Elevator?
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:54:50 am »

I have an idea for a conveyor belt. Not sure if it works though, and my fortress is not far enough to build it yet... (Yeah, I'm new to this game. Can't build mechanisms yet).

Drawbridges toss items when closed right? So, put item on one end, trigger it, and the item will fly off. With a ceiling, and walls to the side, there is no where else to go except where you want it to be.

Code: [Select]
===========
?[-----II]P
===========

Where = is the walls, P is a pressure plate to trigger a fluid logic to get the bridge going up/down. I is the item to move (set as stockpile here?)

So, dwarf walks over the plate, causing the bridge to do down (might need to move the plate further to prevent atom smashing him). Sets the item on bridge, goes back for more and walks over the plate again, triggering the bridge to fling the item. (I'm not too sure of the fluid logic involved, but I think http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pressure_plate#Permanent_Effect_Pressure_Plate_System works. And items can't be smashed on walls right?

Does this work? If it does, we can use this to quickly move items around the fortress. In my map, the sand area is very far away from the magma pipe, and I'd rather not reroute the magma so far...

I also wonder if it is possible to rig this for Z-levels also (elevator)? Keep tossing the item up 1 z-level. I think this might smash the item though, since it'll be on a tile with an up drawbridge which needs to come down for it to have somewhere to drop on.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Conveyor belt? Elevator?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:45:58 am »

Bridgeapults don't fling items in their "raising" direction, but in a completely random direction. Also, you cannot set stockpiles on bridges, only activity zones (i.e. garbage dumps).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:04:06 am »

Bridges fling objects in random directions. Mechanisms are easy to make, so you should really try making some. All you need is a Mechanic's workshop and some rocks.

A conveyor can be built using water, provided it doesn't flow too fast. The conveyor generally ends with a floor grate to clear the water away from the item.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:03 am »

Bridgeapults don't fling items in their "raising" direction, but in a completely random direction.

DAMN!!! First my Vermin Frag Grenades idea fails and now I can't do my goblin pong idea... What is the DF world coming to?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:27:12 am »

Ah, damn. I'll try out the water one instead. Anyone seen a sample (on DFMA perhaps)?

As for bridges, with no where else to go shouldn't it at least fling it to the only option? There is no space up, and no space to the side, so there should only be 1 choice for it to drop on. Unless the item stays on the same tile it was on?

EDIT: BTW, any ideas for a elevator to move items up z-levels?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:35:05 am by 2xMachina »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00:02 am »

It will fling it against the wall where it'll just thud and drop back down. So it'll still fling in random directions.

I can make an elevator, it only goes down though :P.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:37:32 am »

For the elevator, I can only think of using water. First, train your dwarves to swim. So long as they can swim, they'll always try to swim up. So make a water proof pipe through your fortress, with levers controlling the doors to get in. Fill it with water when dwarves are at the bottom, and you can bring them however high you want.

It gets more complicated if you want the water elevator to take dwarves to any floor on the way, though. I guess you could create a floor of grates, and have them hooked up to levers, just make sure you don't get them mixed up. Otherwise, your dwarves will  all drown. So it makes a perfect defence mechanisim.

Now I need to try it.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:22 am »

Well, if it's manual swimming, there is no real benefit. Might was well carve a stairway rather than holing the entire place out.

Anyone knows how to save hauling time? The maps usually have the sand/forest in one corner, and the volcano on the opposite side... Trying to use both will just have a very very long hauling time.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:44 am »

Bring the magma to the sand/forest? Other than that just good fortress design.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:44:31 am »

Bring the magma to the sand/forest? Other than that just good fortress design.

And if you're concerned about how long it'll take to transport the magma, consider using pumps. Ever since an early fort attempt failed due to magma taking nearly a year to fill up the channels beneath my forges to a consistent 4/7, I've used screw pumps to fill them all to 7/7 in a matter of days.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:38 am »

Just a note to anyone who wants to try, using water pressure to make an up/down elavator is a bad idea how I did it.

As in, waterpressure doesn't push dwarves up z levels when pressurized through a floor grate, but it does drown them before they reach the second floor.

I didn't fail at creating an elevator, I simply found one way how not to make one.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:34:22 am by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)