Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the assign dog screen, please display number already  (Read 722 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the assign dog screen, please display number already
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

I went in for dogs in a fairly big way, and like to make sure my best dwarves and squad leaders have an appropriate amount of dogs.  It gets hard to keep the numbers right after the dogs get killed/die of old age.  So it would be helpful if on the assignment screen, the current number of war/hunting dogs attached were displayed.

Another idea would be to have a toggle "Automatically Assign Replacement Dogs" - so when an assigned dog is killed, a replacement is automatically assigned if/when available.  (To avoid lag constantly checking, perhaps only check once a week, also so that when a dog is trained, there's a little time to assign it to someone else first.

Also, ideas for new jobs to assign to the kennels.  (I use dogs, this could be for any animal type):
1) something like "Examine and treat dogs",  would allow some increase in overall dog longevity, based on the Animal Care stat of the dwarf assigned.

2) "Breed dogs" - select "Longevity", "Detection" or "Fighting Ability" say, and then over the generations gradually increase these qualities in new puppies.

3) "Cull cats" - list current number of stray  cats, and pick a number to chase down and kill.  Hilarity can ensue, as the aformentioned cats may object to this   :D

Also, when the dwarf and animal numbers start to get high, I would rather set policies rather than micromanage this all the time.  So perhaps a new noble "Beastmaster" or "Herdmaster", with a policy screen perhaps to include:

Auto-set X dogs to each squad leader.  (may need a toggle on the squad screen for "accept dog assignments All/Leader only/None")
Auto-set X dogs to each squaddie.
Auto-set X dogs to each Fortress Guard
Auto-set X dogs assigned when a dwarf reaches [Master] skill, if he is currently assigned fewer.  (Skill level should be selectable)
Auto-set X dogs assigned when a dwarf reaches [Grand-Master] skill.  (I think 2 levels of assignment here would give enough flexiblity without overloading)
Cull wardogs above X.  (kill the oldest of the type).
Cull stray dogs above X
Cull cats above X
Auto-Butcher cattle above X.

This would also let players control/slightly expand animal numbers to control lag.

Also, some good demands for the noble could be:
"Capture a live wolf"
"Breed the wolf with dogs to improve the breed"
"Train x war dogs"
etc.

[ August 26, 2006: Message edited by: gimlet ]

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the assign dog screen, please display number already
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

I would like to concur - in general - with this request. It goes into more detail than I would have asked for, but the ability to track how many dogs/dwarf would be wonderful.

The only part of this request that I'd deem high priority is that the trained-animal assignment screen show which animals the dwarf has already assigned. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!!!!

I'd also like (low priority) a screen which shows how many of which pets each dwarf already has: I'd personally use it for war or hunting dogs, so I'd be perfectly happy if that's all it showed.  :)

Just those two features would make me even more very-happy with this game than I already am.

Thank you.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »

Poor cats  :(

I'd rather train them to be war cats, plus they make dwarves happy. :P

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

And in the fortress news today: two war cats have succesfully repelled a troll ambush near the rift. One troll has suffered from an allergic shock and died shortly, another one had its eyes clawed out and the third one was stunned by high-pitched sounds.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Hey, at least they keep the fortress free of a lot of lil critters that come bite dwarves in their sleep. =p