Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: No more all-directional ramps  (Read 6722 times)

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more all-directional ramps
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 01:26:44 pm »

the program would have to make water have a velocity as well as depth for lower levels to work.
The great game of Warlocks!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »

The main problem with lower water levels is that anything less than 7/7 depth makes the fluid sim much more expensive. The more non-full, non-empty tiles you have, the worse it gets.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »

The main problem with lower water levels is that anything less than 7/7 depth makes the fluid sim much more expensive. The more non-full, non-empty tiles you have, the worse it gets.

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks.
Well, back to ramps then!
<3

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 10:20:07 pm »

I don't see the problem with multi-directional ramps. Seems to me that making you choose which direction they go in would just overcomplicate it. I like just being able to plop big rows of ramps down and not having to worry about setting the direction first.

Single-direction ramps have the same problem as defecation and radiation poisoning, two other subjects often mentioned in the Suggestions forum: they make the game more realistic, but do they actually enhance the game experience?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:23:06 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 11:19:13 pm »

... I think he's suggesting it because Alldirection ramps would be hell for his iso-pack.

Am I right?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 04:50:47 am »

... I think he's suggesting it because Alldirection ramps would be hell for his iso-pack.

Am I right?
Not really, no. As shown in the example of most 3d visualizers, the ramps can be parsed to determine which direction they are actually facing. My problem is that many of those natural ramps are UNnatural and confusing, especially seeing as wagons can go along them.
BTW, when placing a ramp, the direction it should face could easily be automatically determined in almost all cases, so it doesn't make things more complicated for the player, Untelligent.
<3

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 05:14:13 am »

it would also stop unrealistic and totally stupid situations like a ramp similar to this
 (side view)
....  .... z0
    ^     z-1
.../  \... z-2 

i mean that just doesn't work IRL but will happily function under the current system.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:47 am »

You mean a ramp that doesn't go up anywhere?

Sounds like a small hillock to me.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:59 am »

I don't see the problem with multi-directional ramps. Seems to me that making you choose which direction they go in would just overcomplicate it. I like just being able to plop big rows of ramps down and not having to worry about setting the direction first.

Single-direction ramps have the same problem as defecation and radiation poisoning, two other subjects often mentioned in the Suggestions forum: they make the game more realistic, but do they actually enhance the game experience?
Ramps that change shape depending on the surroundings confuse the hell out of me, and I've avoided them for that reason. Stairs are another thing that needs rethinking (eg. stairs down in a floor, leading nowhere..). Both of these are really simple devices, but their current implementation is bizarre and unintuitive when you start the game. And later too, but then you're a bit used to it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 11:24:32 am »

It really doesn't bug me.  At all...  Seeing all this talk about it confuses me.

I mean... obviously it bugs you guys and that's ok and it should be fixed because it causes a lot of confusion, but I never had any issues with the stairs or the ramps.

Maybe because I'm not a visual thinker, so I'm seeing a ramp the same way the computer sees it, I dunno.  Just my two cents

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:22 am »

One of the strange quirks of the current system is that a ramp cannot support itself... a wagon, but not itself.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 01:01:25 pm »

You mean a ramp that doesn't go up anywhere?

Sounds like a small hillock to me.
Here's a visualizatioon for you.

....  .... z0
    ^     z-1
.../  \... z-2 

I made the 0 level slightly transparent to show everything. Dwarves can move from that hillock to level 0 even though jumping isn't implemented. Better yet, if that was a 3x1 ramp+hole (instead of 1x1), wagons could traverse it with ease. Magic? No, confusing ramp design.
<3

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 02:17:40 pm »

I view the 1 tile ramp as more of an inverted cone with 8 holes in the base...  Everything is connected then...

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »

Uh... huh...

Nevermind the sheer complexity of such a construction, this still doesn't explain how three such abominations placed in a row are good enough for a wagon to travel on them.
<3

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »

You think too much
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6