Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [idea] new Workshop or room: Medic/Hospital  (Read 645 times)

Trollvottel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[idea] new Workshop or room: Medic/Hospital
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

We all become attached to our dwarves ... and hate seeing someone die just because there weren't enough buckets in the fortress or someone forgort their First Aid task.
Maybe something like this could work?

New workshop/room: Medic's Workshop, or Hospital room

Required to build per patient bed: 1 each bed, table, sword, cabinet.

Required for each "heal dwarf" task: thread, cloth, 5x alcohol.

Operation procedure:
1. Player gets a dwarf badly injured. Player opens Medic's Workshop or Hospital, and assigns 'medic' task.

2. 'Medic' KOs the injured dwarf by forcing him to drink 5 alcohol, or by bashing him on the head with a hammer (the latter could be more fun due to head injuries). He drags the victim to the OP table.

3. Medic uses sword (scalpel), thread (stitching), Giant Cave Spider Silk (bandage), possibly lye (disinfectant)...

4. Target dwarf has a tiny chance of recovering on the spot ... a good chance to decrease the time needed for healing ... and a chance of dying during the operation, which apparently was the normal and expected result of mediaeval medicine.

4b. The operation may cause a liberal amount of blood spatters, or dwarf chunks.

5. Target dwarf rests in the hospital, with an improved chance of recovery.

6. "Give Water" and "Give Food" not needed while the patient is in the Medic's Workshop/Hospital... but e.g. only if the hospital room has a Well.

Cost of building and operating the Hospital
The ability to speed up healing is powerful and should therefore be expensive. This is why I added weapons to the process. I'd also suggest allowing only Giant Cave Spider Thread for stitching wounds, and only GCS Silk for bandaging.

Who works as the Medic?
Suggestion: Create a new Noble.

Using Medics would be mainly for experienced players. I guess adding a  "Medic / Healer / Shaman / Witchdoctor" noble could work better than adding a levellable First Aid / Medic job.
Or how about simply using the Butcher skill? It's almost exactly the same job anyway (the only difference is that surgeons don't kill ALL of their patients  :p  )

Bloat idea: Medic could use plants or extracts as 'medicine' to improve healing. This could add real value to some of the currently less useful, but expensive items (Golden Salve?).

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [idea] new Workshop or room: Medic/Hospital
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

If the dwarves use disinfectant I think the chance of death would be fairly low.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

do want
een failing lately?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Give it a reasonable chance of sucess (70%-90% depending on skill perhaps? Linking the jobs "Give food" and "Give Water" to this skill so it's possible to safly level it?) this suggestion would be awesome, especially considering that it give soap/lye a purpose in the game.

Perhaps a medic could also distill antivenom from extract barrels?

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

I would appreciate a simple hospital set up so you could queue your own health care jobs instead of hoping that the game will do it instead.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

That would be awesome! And we should also be able to extract antivenin, and use them at poisoned dwarves!

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

Medics and a new "Guard Force ", the Nurses.

i REALLY want something like this at DF

quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Yes, we... ehrm... the DWARVES need nurses! And a seedy store! Let's spice up the "likes" text with some fetishes! Pretty nurses could make wounded dwarves much happier! (ha ha only serious)
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:01:00 am »

quote:
4. Target dwarf has a tiny chance of recovering on the spot ... a good chance to decrease the time needed for healing ... and a chance of dying during the operation, which apparently was the normal and expected result of mediaeval medicine.

The thought of dwarves dying due to bad healing is interesting. It makes you think , "hmm, do I send my legendary _Dwarf to bed or to a Medic for that busted arm?"
Also, injured peasants alone would probably make great practice for training medics  :)

I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

Awesome idea, let me add something, make the medic hospital like the magma forge where it needs to be placed over a water channel?
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

I want a hospital room just so I won't always see sparing soldiers walking over wounded dwarfs

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

This is such a good idea, it's already been suggested and discussed. Alot.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.