Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local Area Network  (Read 1053 times)

Fruitpunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Local Area Network
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:17:54 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here but I just had an idea that I feel would be a very fun addition to the game: A Local Area Network server that allows multiple players to control multiple fortresses in the same world, or control multiple characters in adventure mode.

Each fortress would act like a civilization and you could wage wars on your buddies or aid them by sending trade caravans to them. In adventure mode you could explore and battle monsters against each other.

I am aware the server could be very strenous on older machines, and this idea is coming from the point of view of someone who owns a "supercomputer".

Leave comments telling me what you think.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Local Area Network
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:21:06 pm »

Toady has said repeatedly that any sort of multiplayer isn't part of the game's scope.

Fruitpunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:03 pm »

Aww that's a shame  :(

Well looks like I'll have to stick to bloodline games

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:23:27 pm »

LAN is a better multiplayer idea than the other ones that have come up though.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:58:43 pm »

I would at least like to create multiple living fortresses without having to abandon them before creating another in the same world. Even if they aren't all 'active' at the time, e.g. playable; an option to 'retire from governance' to turn the fort into what's basically an NPC fort. Maybe even make non-player forts specialize in wares, and the kind of specializations in the nearby forts change what kind of materials caravans in the nearby area bring. The once-player forts would also provide more materials to the caravan based on the workshops present in the fort.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:00:15 pm by Niveras »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:28 pm »

I would at least like to create multiple living fortresses without having to abandon them before creating another in the same world. Even if they aren't all 'active' at the time, e.g. playable; an option to 'retire from governance' to turn the fort into what's basically an NPC fort. Maybe even make non-player forts specialize in wares, and have your once-player fort add provide different materials to the caravans of the area based on the kind of workshops the fort has.

Yeah, but fortress abstraction is in the devplans and not at all related to LAN multiplayer.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:20:46 pm »

Oh, is that its official title? My mistake.

And yeah, I was a mite offtopic.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:57 am »

I don't like the idea of a LAN support anymore than multiplayer support: There's no way to do it right. I like having control over my fort from the beginning to the end. What would be nice is be able to "share" through LAN. You can partition an area, You can create a fort, and someone else can share the world with you. Every game year, information is quietly synced to the other player as a temp file and gets lumped in whenever the game is saved. A seasonal saving option might be preferable to make sure there aren't sync errors.

It isn't exactly multiplayer, but it works better considering how the game is actually played.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:03:54 am »

I'd love to have a fortress running in lan, being possible for other players to join in and play a while. I'm thinking more of a single fortress, like now but with more players though... Burrows could still make this interesting.

Then again. As far as I've heard, there are no plans for multiplayer in dwarf fortress.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 05:18:26 am »

It would be sort of cool to share a world without having to trade saves back and forth all the time.  I wouldn't want to interact with anyone else in real time, but say that my buddy and I are playing in the same world, and our fortresses are active in the same years, it would be cool for him to export goods that I might later receive from the mountainhomes - stuff engraved with images of his fort's history, maybe even migrants who claim to be from his fort and could have thoughts based around whether the move was an up- or downgrade.

Real time would be horrendous though, as you could either never pause for anything, including massive cave-ins, floods, gemstone discoveries, or sieges, or the game would practically pause every single turn as both players make use of k and v menus, dwarves cancel jobs, etc.