Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DF Wiki vs. New Version?  (Read 6790 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: DF Wiki vs. New Version?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 03:52:00 am »

I think a better strategy would be to tell the board not to hype the game until a few weeks after the next version is released :D

Which is very sensible idea because inevitably, there will be showstopper bugs that will need to be fixed.

It is kind of counterprductive to hype game release only to have it crash when kitten is born. Does not leave good first impression and whatnot.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »

In terms of spoilering things, I'm going to try stuff out this time for myself and be all "OMGWTFthisbetotallyawesome@_@" when I die horribly.

Basically when I got started, I used the wiki for "things I know I can do but don't remember the specifics about how to go about doing so". Such as building archery targets, which I thought for the longest time was done in a workshop and then built like every other thing instead of directly. >_>

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 07:33:38 pm »

Archery targets are weird that way, although I guess it explains why you can't re-use practice bolts, being basically a hunk of rock labeled "target".

I'm not concerned about spoiling everything on the wiki at all. Even spoiler tags don't need to be there. If I go to a page about HFS, I expect it to have details on HFS. The main/about page needs the spoiler tag, and the tutorials need spoiler sections. Everything else should be as complete as possible.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45:48 pm »

Archery targets are weird that way, although I guess it explains why you can't re-use practice bolts, being basically a hunk of rock labeled "target".

I'm not concerned about spoiling everything on the wiki at all. Even spoiler tags don't need to be there. If I go to a page about HFS, I expect it to have details on HFS. The main/about page needs the spoiler tag, and the tutorials need spoiler sections. Everything else should be as complete as possible.

^This. If people go and blatantly click on/find the page for HFS, they know what they are getting themselves into. Hell, a simple "Hey this page contains spoilers if you don't want them it would be in your best interest to get the flark out ASAP." at the top of the page should do it if somebody manages to somehow get there accidentally. (Because we all know it WILL happen sometime. >_>)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 10:50:54 pm »

Rereading that makes it sound like I have a lot of conviction behind it :)

Really, I'm just to lazy to protect people who seek out fine details but don't want to see them. I feel that the wiki should be the summary of everything we know about the game, and toning it down or obfuscating it takes away from that. Tutorials are about hand-holding, and learning the basics.

Hrm, perhaps I do have some conviction here. Ah well. I understand the whole spoilers mentality, and it is fair. I guess thats why wikis are open for other people to edit.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]