Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DF Wiki vs. New Version?  (Read 6794 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: DF Wiki vs. New Version?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:28 pm »

I really hope Toady doesn't fix carp.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 12:31:35 am »

I really hope Toady doesn't fix carp.

All we can do, really.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »

Sorry y'all.  Carp have been dethroned.

And carp are no longer carp -- I set 10 vs 10 bull sharks and had a bloody mess.  I don't remember if they bruised any of the sharks or not.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2009, 06:22:18 pm »

What are "burrows" anyway? Also, what are some of the changes due in the next version? It should be big, it's been over a year since the last one.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 06:46:57 pm »

What are "burrows" anyway? Also, what are some of the changes due in the next version? It should be big, it's been over a year since the last one.

Burrows are groups of dwarves, buildings, stockpiles and activity zones that are relatively self-contained.  Dwarves try to stay inside their burrow, and jobs will only use items within the burrow.  They're also a replacement for the "Dwarves stay inside" command and should work much better in that role.

Other changes are mostly in the List of Remaining Items.  The next version also has a new material system (with lots of properties that can be defined for materials in a generalized fashion), highly detailed creature bodies and wounds, and the ability to create custom workshops with their own reactions (jobs).

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »

So about the wiki...
It needs a new favicon!
It had one, but now it's gone again.
The existing one is still there, it just doesn't work apparently due to server misconfiguration. I checked the headers, and it's being sent as this:
Code: [Select]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8Instead of the proper MIME type (image/x-icon).
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 04:16:52 pm »

Doh, I didn't set up a mime header for an icon type, so it goes to the default.  I'll fix that here shortly.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 05:53:07 pm »

Bump.  Any thoughts from Locriani or anyone else on whether the current wiki should be archived when the next version arrives?  I'm unsure whether it would be useful or not.  Since it's such a large update, conceivably there are people who'd want to keep playing the old version and have a wiki available, like happened with 2D.  On the other hand, unlike the 2D-3D transition, there aren't many features getting removed per se.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 06:12:47 pm »

Yea, alot of the basic stuff and basic concepts are unchanged. However, while the basic concepts are still there (except for combat related stuff, squads, military, etc), there are alot of changes to various things as well as alot of new stuff. The military info will likely have to be wiped clean for the new stuff, theres the new material stuff, the modding info will likely have to be reorganized and maybe compiled into one category. Theres also alot of other stuff that we don't know about that could have changed.

I guess it could be archived since many pages will still exist, just the details changed.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 06:40:44 pm »

Bump.  Any thoughts from Locriani or anyone else on whether the current wiki should be archived when the next version arrives?  I'm unsure whether it would be useful or not.  Since it's such a large update, conceivably there are people who'd want to keep playing the old version and have a wiki available, like happened with 2D.  On the other hand, unlike the 2D-3D transition, there aren't many features getting removed per se.

I'd say not archive it, because almost all of it will still be current and correct.

However, people should keep an eye out for things that will have changed. If the whole wiki is archived, it will end up being very empty until people mass cut+paste it over.

At most, certain articles dealing with the upgraded features could be marked as "outdated".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 06:45:53 pm »

However, people should keep an eye out for things that will have changed. If the whole wiki is archived, it will end up being very empty until people mass cut+paste it over.

Oh, "archive" doesn't mean "throw everything out."  It just means to preserve a coherent snapshot.  The pages would still be intact.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 07:19:58 pm »

Oh, "archive" doesn't mean "throw everything out."  It just means to preserve a coherent snapshot.  The pages would still be intact.

Honestly, I would suggest archiving it, with a note on the frontpage "if you can't find anything in the new section on a particular topic, the old archives are here and may be accurate". Then everyone can sloowly migrate information into the new sections as the bits are vetted. That way inacurate bits from the old system don't hide in plain sight.

Also, that way the modding section can be completely redone. Like it will almost certainly have to be.

That's my 0.02$, but I have barely posted anything to the Wiki. It's rather daunting, actually.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 07:47:00 pm »

I'm definitely in favour of archiving a good final 40d snapshot. I was very sad the 2D one wasn't available anymore when I went to give a go with the game from before when I started playing.

Is it possible to apply an outdated tag to all articles/sections, then let people manually remove them as information is checked?

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:01 pm »

Is it possible to apply an outdated tag to all articles/sections, then let people manually remove them as information is checked?

It's definitely possible, and that might be the best way of preventing the hiding-in-plain-sight problem that Flaede mentioned.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 02:30:20 pm »

It's definitely possible, and that might be the best way of preventing the hiding-in-plain-sight problem that Flaede mentioned.

I'd do a hybrid.  Make a snapshot archive (so there's a wiki for the "old" version, available for those playing it) and make the "new" one have outdated tags so things can be properly updated while retaining old information for sections that haven't been explored.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4