Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF Wiki vs. New Version?  (Read 6789 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Wiki vs. New Version?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 04:57:21 pm »

This really isn't that huge of a change. Plus, if we were going to do something like this, the discussion about it would be in the wiki. I think that we would do pretty much the same thing we did last time.

*points to signature*
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 05:58:13 pm »

I'd say if you don't want spoilers, don't visit the wiki, just do a forum search/ask a question.
We could also make it clearer when an article might spoil something.  The page on HFS already does this, and that should be enough for that.  For things like magma, it could start out with a vague (hot slow-flowing liquid usable as a fuel) description, and then further down the page after a spoiler warning it goes into the details of it (obsidian, fire imps, stuff like that).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »

I am going to spend the first 72 hours after the release binge drinking caffeinated beverages, and playing DF. I should catch up by the end of my marathon.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 06:42:53 am »

Unfortunately I'll have college during the next release, so my college work is really going to suffer.

(I bet some of you thought I was going to say that I wouldn't play DF...)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:03:12 am »

Yeah, same here. Maybe the new version will happen during winter break.
Or at least over a weekend. So we can calm down before school starts back up again.

So about the wiki...
It needs a new favicon!
It had one, but now it's gone again.
Does anybody know how one might go about doing that?
I have this as a 16x16 .ico file. I don't care what the icon is, though. I just think it needs one.

Edit: I tried uploading it to the wiki as "favicon.ico", but apparently .ico files aren't supported there.
I guess we need some kind of moderator to do it? I dunno...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:12:36 am by Ironhand »

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 08:27:48 am »

That's something someone with direct access to the server would need to do.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 08:40:30 am »

I think the change won't be as earthshattering as you think it will be. Most of what I'm seeing is changes to the hardcore stuff like how creatures function, combat (which was already so borked that it's beyond impossible to manage, either you win or you lose), metals, etc. The beginner stuff should remain consistent, for example if you have access to steel you make all your armor and weaponry out of that, a trained army wins more fights against vicious bug-beasties from underground than raw recruits, etc. We survived the update from 2d to 3d, we'll survive this one.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 01:15:42 pm »

Okay, it seems to be generally agreed that I'm overreacting, so maybe my excitement is twisting my view of what the new version will be like (can you blame me?). However. The wiki does contain a decent amount of outdated information, and honestly, is the primary reason I got into DF at all. A lot of first-time players come to the forums for help and get directed there, and without good, recent information on it, we might lose some of them. I guess it would be enough to ask people to try and get active on it and make sure we have the information about the new version up to date once it's out.

Maybe we can compile a list of what will need to be updated for the new version on the wiki's site so we can be ahead of the game.

I just don't want people to get scared away, guys!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 03:27:55 pm »

Burrows will probably be the most significant fort mode change, and they are pretty much a tool for experienced players.  Health care is going to be a puzzle for everyone at first.  I'm terrified to think of the horrors players will submit their dwarves to just to check out the new health care system/get xp for their doctors.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 03:31:49 pm »

I'm already planning a variety of "chunking machines" because I use a modded reaction that makes chunks useful. Chunking sentients creatures makes better things, so if I could turn some of those useless immigrants into never ending chunking machines that would be great. Having doctors on site to heal them when they get too badly wounded would really speed up recovery of my chunk factories.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 09:10:32 pm »

Oh no... carp are gonna get fixed... I'm gonna have to put them back in.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 10:25:02 pm »

I actually think Toady made somewhat of a mistake when he said that.

He fixed Carp Damage. He never said, however, if Dwarves won't tackle them and drown.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 10:50:45 pm »

He fixed Carp Damage. He never said, however, if Dwarves won't tackle them and drown.

We can only hope. Carp were always so much Fun.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 10:58:12 pm »

The other initial issue was that natural swimmers ended up stronger than deities after only a few months.  "Bite" became UBERCRITBITE-NOM-NOM-NOM.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:07 pm »

Unfortunately I'll have college during the next release, so my college work is really going to suffer.

(I bet some of you thought I was going to say that I wouldn't play DF...)
Urist cancels final exam, Dwarf Fortress release.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4