Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Salt Water  (Read 1595 times)

Crabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I demand a ban on the export of cat skulls!
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Water
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 02:28:57 pm »

Wow...Thanks for all the support.  I've been gone for a couple of days, checked this and saw all the replies.  :D

But, yeah, I needed it for injuries, and have started construction.  Thanks for all the help!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
-Adam Savage

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 07:40:46 pm »

Technically, there's no such thing as a "saltwater map".  There are saltwater biomes, and freshwater biomes.

If the aquifer was in freshwater, no prob.

The dwarves refused to use the standing water on the surface in the same biome, but water out of the well was acceptable.

So possibly wells desalinate water as well? That would make surviving on saltwater maps so much easier than having to manually construct a water tank.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:45 pm »

From what I've seen, wells just ignore saltiness. I've got a few sitting above my spoiled fresh water tank, and dwarves use them.

There are merits to the tank, compared to wells. You only need one resource: wood. It can be built with other things, but wood is simple to find. Wells require a mechanism and a rope, and those take slightly more effort to acquire than a bunch of wooden logs.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »

Just bring a mechanism, a block and a rope if you're embarking on a saltwater map?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 02:49:48 am »

Wells are viewed as more acceptable water sources, even for the same actual water. 

So possibly wells desalinate water as well?

No.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 02:33:57 pm »

Think I might test this soon, if it's possible.  Construct a cistern, build a well, if the well is indeed usable as a water source, have dwarfs fill the cistern from the well; see if cistern is acceptable water source.

The wiki isn't always right/updated (see Unicorns re: biomes) so experimentation is useful.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 05:41:26 pm »

(see Unicorns re: biomes)

Hate to tell ya, but that's right out of the game files.   :P

The wiki is not always right, and experimentation (especially trivial ones) is always recommended, and supported by the community (esp if you share any interesting findings!) - that's how much of the wiki has been generated.  It's a good plan for becoming better with the game. 

But in this case, your example is in errour, not the wiki.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:42:57 pm by Albedo »

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 12:19:27 am »

I meant regions, but whatever.  The wiki is wrong.  From the page on Region:

The only serious problem that shows up in Good regions is, again, the unicorn, which shows up in Benign Good regions but not Neutral Good or Savage Good.

It's patently false.  Vanilla DF, unicorns show up in at least Savage Good, because in 3 forts in a row I've had them show up when the only region was, indeed, Joyous Wilds.  So either it's a very consistent, persistent bug, or you are placing way too much faith in user-edited content.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:37 am »

(Hmmm - first, I agree that sounds wrong.  (So why didn't you change it?  ;D )  But that's the nature of a wiki - and I'd bet that if you skimmed thru the history of that page, that entry is from an earlier version - and maybe it was true then.  (With a rapidly changing and broad subject, hard to find all the legacy errours/changes.)

And now, with your help, that part (at least) has been fixed.  (Or will be in a moment...)

If you see something like that, you don't have to edit it yourself - call attention to it on the :Discussion page for that article. Your suspicions will be confirmed/refuted/investigated, and someone who is excited will take care of it.

User-contributions are going to have errours, both from assumptions and (unfortunately) poor communication skills.  But considering the topic and the fact that it's 99% user-researched, I think it's pretty damn good, despite occasional hiccups. 

thanx for that heads-up.)

</derail>

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 02:48:01 pm »

So I'm wanting to know if anyone has more information on this saltiness or not.

I have a map with z-levels as so:

1 - Soil
2 - Soil / Aquifer
3 - Soil / Aquifer
4 - Rock / Aquifer
5 - Rock
6 - Rock

All water is salty.  I am interested in making a tank of freshwater, underground, on level 6.  Here's what I have:

Example #1: I have pierced the aquifer levels.  So I set up a 1x1 cistern constructed of green glass on level 1, with a pump sourced to the aquifer on level 2.  This is fine.  The water is good.

Example #2: I set up *the same layout* 1x1 cistern constructed of green glass on level 2, with a pump sourced to the aquifer on level 3.  This fails.  The water is salty.

Example #3: I channel water down to level 6 from the aquifer.  I set up a large (10x40) cistern constructed of green glass on level 5, with a pump sourced to the water on level 6.  This fails.  The water is salty.

So, my question is, why do #2 and #3 fail?  All cisterns have green glass walls and green glass floors, and there's no contact with natural rock after the water is pumped.  My reading shows that #2 might fail simply because it is located on an aquifer level, but that still doesn't explain why #3 fails.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 02:56:03 pm »

Can we safely assume these channels and level changes were enclosed by constructed tiles, and not just dug from natural stone/soil?  That is, between leaving the pump and entering your cistern, no water ever touches any natural walls (or even spills over and does, that's a dealbreaker too.)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 03:21:54 pm »

Can we safely assume these channels and level changes were enclosed by constructed tiles, and not just dug from natural stone/soil?  That is, between leaving the pump and entering your cistern, no water ever touches any natural walls (or even spills over and does, that's a dealbreaker too.)

In each case, the pump's output is built right into the walls of the cistern, so, the water touches plenty of natural rock on its way to the pumps, but when it leaves the pump it is in a 100% constructed enclosure.  Eg, the 1x1 cisterns are like this:

Code: [Select]
OOO
O+O
OPO
.p.
~~~

O = constructed green glass wall
+ = constructed green glass floor
P = pump output
p = pump input
. = soil floor
~~~ = water (one z-level down)

In instance #1, where this is built above the aquifer level, it works.  In instance #2, where this is built *on* an aquifer level, it doesn't work.  And #3 is below the aquifer level entirely.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 03:25:46 pm »

So salty water flows up to the pump, then the pump filters (or should) the water directly to the cistern.  Check.

That is odd behaviour indeed.  I got nuthin'.  Needs more research.  :-\

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 05:22:12 pm »

I'm pretty certain it has to do with the nature of layers. Since the water level is actually below level 1, anything level 1 and above doesn't fit into the water-table and doesn't inherit the saltiness. Try doing the same thing on level 1 but don't use any constructed walls and see how it turns out.
Pages: 1 [2]