Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engravings: No Repeats In One Room  (Read 1367 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Engravings: No Repeats In One Room
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:08:59 pm »

Very simple. When engraving, an image cannot be repeated within the same designated room.

This helps alleviate the problem of "dwarves and dwarves, founding of fortress" engravings being too common, while not removing dwarves' individuality in choice of engravings.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Engravings: No Repeats In One Room
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:33:18 pm »

But how do you define room?
Unless you're defining them specifically by chairs/tables/whathaveyou, there's no way to define that, and engravings certainly happen outside of rooms.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

Very true, but I agree with the OP, having "The dwarf is surrounded of the dwaves. Relates to the ascention of leadership..." x20 is boring. Maybe each historical event could only be engraved once, at least until all historical events are used at least once?

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing more generic engravings. Things like squares and stars should be reserved for low-quality engravings(like they are now) but having Waves/Carp/Dragons should at least be available for masterful engravings...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:50:52 pm »

It seems that the engravings available to a fortress has to do with its site. Probably what's been recorded for that place in legends.

If you embark on a orc/goblin/whatever town, then engrave, you'll get a ton of "Orc striking down dwarf", "Orc shooting dwarf", "Orcs are travelling", and whatnot.

On the other hand, if you embark in the middle of nowhere, the only piece of history at the beginning would be the founding and ascension of the leader.

At least, that's what I've observed.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:56:16 pm »

How about simply not having similar engravings adjacent to each other? It's less vague than "within the same room," and you'd still get a lot of repeats, but it would still be an improvement.

Alternate suggestion: The chance of any historical event being engraved is lowered slightly for every engraving of the same event at the fortress.
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:04:04 pm »

I think those would probably be a pain to code (seeing as you'd have to apply a value to every event in legends/ones at the site or make code to check every surrounding engraving).

I think an easier alternative would just be more specific descriptions. For example, currently, the norm for any non-fatal battle would be "X is standing over Y. Y is crying" or something to that effect. It could be "X is standing over Y. X is holding the severed <body part> of Y", because legends records those. Then, all we'd need to do is lower the prominence of ascensions (or make several variants of descriptions for it, like speaking, cheering, saluting, etc.) and we'd have a very healthy variety of engravings.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 01:27:32 pm »

I'm a fan of dwarves only engraving every event/item/etc once until everything has been engraved. That way you only get 1 dwarf founding, and 1 for every dwarf that came to live there. A lot of the pictures would be for battles, since lots happen there, which seems to fit dwarves quite well.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 01:41:57 pm »

But how do you define room?
Unless you're defining them specifically by chairs/tables/whathaveyou, there's no way to define that, and engravings certainly happen outside of rooms.

Defined from an object. That said, it might be easier to just reduce the prominence of founding engravings.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »

I have an addition to your suggestion: Maybe a room should mostly be engravings of the owner or maybe things that person likes?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 02:18:29 pm »

Sometimes though you might want a room full of, at least, similar engravings. Perfect example being your drowning chamber being engraved with images of <insert race here> drowning. Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen with the current system anyway so changes do need to be made.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »

Sometimes though you might want a room full of, at least, similar engravings. Perfect example being your drowning chamber being engraved with images of <insert race here> drowning. Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen with the current system anyway so changes do need to be made.
The computer will never be able to recognize a drowning chamber. and that's the reason why we need the ability to determine which engravings will be made where. Of course, the engraver's choice will be the standard, but it's impossible to predict what the player is trying to accomplish or to roleplay.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 03:11:11 pm »

But is it too complicated to start adding in engraving sphere options, so that you could tell them to engrave water sphere things in one specific area (the drowning chamber)? Obviously not the norm, but is it worth the time to even implement it?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 04:52:27 pm »

And here I've been assuming that adjacent, generally same engravings, are murals spanning multiple tiles. How silly am I!

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 02:57:32 am »

And here I've been assuming that adjacent, generally same engravings, are murals spanning multiple tiles. How silly am I!

This is how I see it.

I'd like an option to have scenes of the dead dwarf carved around his coffin. Even if its just stuff he likes, and how he died.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:04 am »

AS long as they're all the same quality, I'm content with this too.

However I rarely put engraving adjacent to each other. Too cluttered.

Pages: [1] 2