Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Giving the Elves Culture-Appropriate Weapons  (Read 2584 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Giving the Elves Culture-Appropriate Weapons
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 02:34:12 am »

Someone mentioned a while ago that the damage of stone weapons is locked at 200% (like steel), since Obsidian is the only vanilla stone weapon. Maybe it's locked at 50% for wood as well. (and bone I think.)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 03:20:08 am »

Someone mentioned a while ago that the damage of stone weapons is locked at 200% (like steel), since Obsidian is the only vanilla stone weapon. Maybe it's locked at 50% for wood as well. (and bone I think.)

Pedantic correction: steel is 133%.  But yeah, other materials default to 50%.  That'll be much easier to mod in the next version (and more interesting, since it's not just a single damage number anymore).

By the way, the current handwave explanation for elves having swords etc. is that they induce trees (by hugging them, presumably) to grow into unusual shapes:

She drew her curved blade Elstra, a wooden sword polished for a hundred years in the brooks and streams of the forest until it took on the aspect of steel.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:18 am »

It's too bad her curved blade Elstra has a 50% damage rate, then. :D

Anyway, yeah, that's the same idea I was putting forth in the original post, but it would be weird for said swords to be in the same style and shape as the swords of the 'barbaric' races. So presumably they hug them into more organic shapes?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 08:24:36 pm »

Personally, I just change elves to have [MINOR_METAL] and be done with it.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »

I think all races should be able to make wooden weapons as training weapons or substitution.

Wooden hammers (mallets) wooden spears (pointy stick) wooden swords (baton) wooden maces (shillelagh) should be easy and obvious choices when metal is scarce.

Elves should use metal to Iron swords that they (presumably) traded for, along with alot of bows, wooden spears and wooden maces.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »

Making a wooden mace (or 'club') is easy as pie.  In fact, they may well be the oldest weapon in existence.  I'm constantly surprised that the game doesn't have them already.  It just seems wacky that the only people who make wooden weapons have swords, but not clubs.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:01 pm »

I figure elves just pick up branches and whack things with them.

(I gave them the mace skill and a weapon called a cudgel).

Personally, I just change elves to have [MINOR_METAL] and be done with it.

I could do that, but then they'd actually be a threat to goblins. We don't want that happening. :D

Also I'm running Dig Deeper. I have no idea how to fix it so that [MINOR_METAL] doesn't also include Chrome and the like. It's odd seeing kobolds shooting chrome arrows at you with chrome bows and so on.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 11:24:02 pm »

While doing some research on shillelaghs I found the most awesome (?) picture on wikipedia. Look at the right hand side at the top...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeweled_Shillelagh

That looks like a dong.

Also, blowguns already exist in vanilla DF. Just change it so the Elves use them instead of bows.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 11:27:02 pm »

Hmm...

If I make a weapon that uses Wrestling skill, would that, um, work? I can't imagine it working.

(Like a punching dagger, or something. Or knucks, for dwarves.)

Hang on, I'll test...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 08:27:04 am »

Pedantic correction: steel is 133%.  But yeah, other materials default to 50%.  That'll be much easier to mod in the next version (and more interesting, since it's not just a single damage number anymore).

By the way, the current handwave explanation for elves having swords etc. is that they induce trees (by hugging them, presumably) to grow into unusual shapes:

She drew her curved blade Elstra, a wooden sword polished for a hundred years in the brooks and streams of the forest until it took on the aspect of steel.

Reminds me very much of the Pequeninos (sp? I think it's the Portuguese word for little ones) in the Ender series. They grew into trees when they died, and the living Piggies (as they were called) could sing to them and induce them to fall apart into sharp wooden blades, clubs, and pretty much anything else wooden. It was an interesting book, though I got lost when they started talking about the little god-threads.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 11:07:14 am »

It's too bad her curved blade Elstra has a 50% damage rate, then. :D
Of course, since the weapons you're adding are exclusively made of wood, you can always increase their damage values to work around this.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 11:56:39 am »

Elestra was also probably an artifact weapon due to its name. hence a major damage modifier is tacked on which more then compensates for it being wood.

I like to think of Elves as being if not completely, very similer to fey, so forged metal would be unhealthy for them to touch for extended periods causing rashes and such. I think it works fine then using only wood and it being 50% damage because they are a social race not a warrior race as demonstrated by their leaders being Druids. I like the Idea of them magically coaxing (with help from the Forces, or natural Magicks) a tree into growing their weapons.

I actually started a mod a while ago to make playable elves, turning the smelter into the druids hut and trying to make them produce weapons from plants (Eg: Blade Tree sprout -> Wooden Blade) I have left it alone for quite some time, maybe I should pick it up again. I was having a problem with the reactions being only available to the elves and many other things.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 06:39:07 pm »

name reactions elves XXX
make then need items no one but elve will use.
may be a bit of armor?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 04:31:04 am »

I beleieve the weapon skill token for wrestling is [UNARMED].

I used it to give elves freddy krueger style hand claws, so that their wrestlers will be able to tear dwarves limb from limb in a bloody frenzy.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 04:32:29 am »

Thanks.

When I tried it earlier it didn't work, probably because the skill token I used was [WRESTLING]
Pages: 1 [2] 3