Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Selective breeding  (Read 1197 times)

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selective breeding
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Hey, First post   :p

I was just wondering if selective breeding was going to be implemented?

i think it could work quite well perhaps requiring a certain noble who could allow you to choose what types of dog, allowing you to breed slightly stronger war dogs, sneaker hunters or perhaps faster, i just thought this would be rather cool.

anyone have any thoughts?

EE
E@E
EEE

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Selective breeding
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »

I think it'd add another use for the kennels, which is good. I'd like to see it for other pets, too, but until they have more uses, that'd be less interesting. Also, goblin breeding... *shudders* I don't think stable dwarves should like that job xD

In order to see what you're doing, you'd have to add creature descriptions, and they'd have to be made modular. I'm not sure when or if Toady had planned for this.

Anyway, this, and magical crossbreeding. Mix and match the body types, average various info in the raws, and tack the two names together. W00t. Something for the wizard tower game, perhaps, or else for places of great evil. I'm not sure if I should post my ideas for this, since I've already freaked out the CoffeeMUD crowd, but oh well. You'll all just have to deal with my creepiness :P

Certain traits would be more likely to survive the crossbreeding, intelligence amongst them. If the creatures are vastly incompatible, all bets are off - a squid and a rhino, for instance. This would be handled by marking the body types with different species groups - humanoid, mammilian, reptilian, avian, plant, demonic, etc. A gryffon crossed with a lion would therefore likely make more gryffons or more lions, or perhaps winged lions. If a humanoid crossed with a lion, you'd get a wemic, basically. It wouldn't be called a wemic, it'd be called a lion-dwarf, or an elf-lion, but it'd be compatible with real wemics.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

I think that if at all this would be included with wizards: crossbreeding tentacle demons with unicorns! And anyways I beleive it would be the "bloat" category.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagleon:
<STRONG>a squid and a rhino</STRONG>

This would make a squid with a horn or a rhino with tentacles growing out of it's sides.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

If there were variations between one dog and the next, that could be an interesting idea for the future.

I'm reminded of an old joke...
What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino?

Elephino. (works better when vocalized)

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 04:20:00 am »

Armok 1 was more centered around this kind of thinking, since creature bodies were about all the game had, so we thought a bit about how they might be merged.  Now it should be even easier to do bizarre crossbreeds and so on, while giving mostly 'reasonable' results by matching part types and so on.

As for more subtle stuff, yeah, definitely for this, once the creatures have more variables.  Up on dev there are mentions of 'genes' and so on, but I haven't really thought it through.  There could be sets that are passed down in whatever way, and they could alter attributes or correlate in some way with various physical traits.  The more that goes in, the more interesting it can be, and the more strange things can happen over long plays.  There'd be a bit of natural selection just by virtue of how that works, though whether or not it matters during the timescale depends on the constants used.  I guess it would be best to set things up so that a strong artificial selection program toward a dog breed can have a positive outcome with quite a bit of work, but not something you can just flip like a switch between generations (or maybe it would have to be more like that just because of the time investment).

[ June 06, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:13:00 am »

So along these lines would there also be problems with inbreeding in your selective breeding program, that would make it more realistic, but a good bit more difficult. That way you can't take your best male dog and keep mating him to his children/grandchildren to improve the strain.

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

Also if individual plants had statistics (growth time, amount of harvestable product, etc.) then you could selectively breed them too.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

Mmm, I have dreams of breeding golden chocobo for racing and combat for my dwarves.

This will also bring up the fixed price for animals.  Obviously superior animals should price higher when trading, and old nags should price much lower.

The meat from buthering also should be one of the characteristics that can be affected by breeding.  Perhaps by as much as 50%, bone although would likely have a smaller range of change from the baseline.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

quote:

Also if individual plants had statistics (growth time, amount of harvestable product, etc.) then you could selectively breed them too.

that idea seems pritty cool actually, same with inbreeding

quote:
The meat from buthering also should be one of the characteristics that can be affected by breeding. Perhaps by as much as 50%, bone although would likely have a smaller range of change from the baseline.  

and perhaps have the meat actually having a quality before cooked somewhat like cloth. This is a well cooked horse meat, made out of superior quality horse :P

EE
E@E
EEE

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

For inbreeding, I guess it could either just do "this is bad" and hit them with the disorders, or I guess there could be things like disorders linked to double recessives and so on.  That would cause these to occur throughout the game, which I guess isn't bad, but it might mess with an heir-driven strategy, if you can eventually play your heirs and so on.  I guess that's your problem though.  I'll just have to set the frequencies.  I'll probably have to read more about inbreeding as well, because some of the 50%-disorder-from-sibling-couples stats I've seen recently seem to indicate something other than just double recessives going on (or disorders would probably be more prevalent overall).  I don't know any other mechanisms triggered as a result of inbreeding off the top of my head other than the simple double rec. one.

[ June 07, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 08:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Veroule:
<STRONG>Mmm, I have dreams of breeding golden chocobo for racing and combat for my dwarves.</STRONG>

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=72  ?

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

Now the question is, will inheritance follow strictly Mendelian laws or will some non-Mendelian inheritance also be included.  The first would be simpler, the later more realistic for some traits.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

I'm all for various kinds of dominance and linkage.  The computer can handle it very easily, and if some of it is randomly generated it might be more fun to play with than simple dom/rec type relationships, as long as you still have enough control with selective breeding to make it a valid technique.  There could also be stranger stuff -- various kinds of magical inheritence that obeys whatever rules.  For instance, much of the hybridization you see to form variants of the classical beasties is not going to be a genetic thing, since the species are completely incompatible.  I imagine there will be as many things going on as I have time to put in, anyway.

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

Now I'm really looking forward to when this gets implemented.
Pages: [1] 2