Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: One-shot comics!  (Read 6611 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: One-shot comics!
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 07:18:52 pm »

I finally have something to contribute to this thread.  It's really just a concept sketch for a project I'm working on in Sculpture class (search "Joseph Cornell" to get the idea of what it's supposed to be), but it plays out kind of like a comic without dialogue.  I made it black and white because my scanner makes the real colors look too light.  That same scanner also has a nasty habbit of enlarging any image it scans, so be prepared for a big image.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 03:33:10 pm »

Wow, Legolord, that looks extremely... macabre? Creepy? I don't know, but it is very evocative. Strangely enough, the lack of color works very well for it, and the texture makes differentiates the surfaces fine.

My only qualms are with the second "panel"--the room just isn't drawn as well as the other panels. That said, I have trouble with anything that's not human, so don't take that as a big criticism.

Damn. Now I'm going to have to edit the OP to include any sort of sequential art. Curse you for making me love your work. Curse you!

As for the enlargement, that's natural for good scanners. Remember, they have to convert to pixels, so they want to get as much data in as possible--usually, this means scaling up. Just pop over to PS or GIMP and scale the image to your liking. I've found that 8 inches is about 700 px for my drawing style.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 05:07:52 pm »

Thanks!  It's basically just a blueprint for a project, so I really didn't expect it to look all that good.  It probably looks macabre because it's in black and white, but I'm sure the skeleton is also a major part of that.  It's all a play on the expression that titles the spoiler.  This family's skeleton isn't just a poker ring, it's a poker ring run by an actual skeleton.  In a closet.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:16:48 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 10:20:11 pm »

IT'S STILL THE WEEKEND.

I really stretched myself on these two. Prolly didn't help much, actually. Criticism welcome.

Note: the black squiggly line was me reading through the comic and deciding I should differentiate more between the columns versus the rows, since it's all in one image. Yeah, my post-processing sucks.

(Also: Is there a way to keep these things from being resized? I keep trying to put them at the actual size that the board would display them at, but they keep getting knocked down 10% or so.)
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »

Wait- does the woman have a big scar and a goatee?

Oh, and you can size images. It's something like {IMG=ZxY}{/img}... I don't remember exactly. Quoting you indicates you aren't using any such thing, so if you did try to scale it, you've got the syntax wrong.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 10:37:04 pm »

No, that's a piece of hair, and me trying to emphasize the shape of her face. I didn't think it was at goatee levels. I blame the lack of control over image size.

Using that syntax doesn't seem to give me the right results. It just gives me the syntax back instead of an image.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 10:47:51 pm »

The correct one is many pages back in the DF Fanart thread, gonna have to look for that or start experimenting.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]