Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: One-shot comics!  (Read 6614 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
One-shot comics!
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:14:44 am »

What is this?

A while back, while trying to get my mind off of physics homework before going to bed, I started drawing pirate comics. They went from start to finish in two to three hours, didn't have any sort of editing, and tried to be funny. Sometimes, they even were.

This topic is a repository for such comics. Specifically, comics that try to finish in five panels or less, that went from start to finish in five hours or less. Funny ones are good, but any comicish thing will do.

Now, some of you might be wondering if you can post your own comic. Hellz yeah, you can, that's the point of this topic. Just follow the rules for comix, and it'll all be good.

The Rules for Comix:
  • Comics must go from start to finish in five hours or less (worktime, not actual time--if you have to go somewhere in the middle of drawing, that's fine)
  • Comics must have five or less panels
  • Comics should hit an emotional payoff in those five panels. Think punchline, but not necessarily funny.
  • Comics, when posted, should be in spoiler tags.
  • Comics may have storylines that run for five strips. These strips should be posted together, so noone has to dive through the thread.
  • Anyone apologizing for their art is immediately disqualified from ever running for President.
  • If requested, please type up the transcript to your comic, or edit it until readable. This does not count towards the five hours.
  • Those taking these rules too seriously will have a rough time of it. Just sayin'.

So, some comics!

A general note--if there are two word bubbles from the same character, I generally mean for them to be read with a few second pause in between them.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:35:40 pm by bjlong »
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: One-shot comics!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:33 am »

Just for the record, the first one broke my mind.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 07:01:20 am »

But in a good way, right?

Right?

In all honesty, it's prolly the worst one up there right now. I did this, then I thought, "Ok, no more comics about her." Then I said "Screw that, I'll do what I want" and drew four more. My only consolation is that one of them actually was funny, and you can follow what's going on most of the time NONE OF THEM SHALL SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY. Still, yeah, it's pretty bad.

Also, you should put something up! It'd definitely be better than that first one.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:34:31 am by bjlong »
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:04:13 am »

First one, not that great.
Second, pedophilia undertones, creepy.
Third one, rather funny.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:06:27 am »

Is it normal for comic artists to spend more than five hours on a single comic?  I've never spent more than one hour on even my most complicated ones...  Granted, my art skills aren't the best in the world, but I can't comprehend spending that long on something so short.  I think I would cry if it took that long.

I'd post my comics, but all the ones I've scanned into the computer are already on my site (see link in my sig), and all the ones I've drawn since moving to Prague are still in my sketchbook 'cause I can't find anywhere to scan them.  (No Kinkos in the Czech Republic!)

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:56:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LOL! DO YOU GET IT? HE IS LOOKING FOR HIS HAT BUT HIS HAT IS ON HIS HEAD!

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:20:20 pm »

Um, thanks, Broose.

Sappho, I don't see everyone spending a lot of time on comics, but usually when I see something like this, people post higher and higher quality images until you have to be Da Vinci to feel that your work is good enough. This isn't meant to be something like that, but just a place where people can put down comics that pop in their head without feeling the need to commit to an update schedule and fiddle with advertising and hosting and so on. Or feel like they're breaking continuity. Or whatever.

Thanks for the criticism, Jackrabbit.

Ok, so I was going to post another three-or-so comics, but I came down with the flu and lost my old notebook. These are probably unrelated. So, instead, here's one comic.

Background: Clickers are remote-things that you use to vote with on a multiple choice quiz. I have to use them in the class whose homework this comic was drawn on.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 02:27:29 pm »

LOL! DO YOU GET IT? HE IS LOOKING FOR HIS HEAD BUT HIS HEAD IS ON HIS NECK!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:07:32 pm »

GENIUS!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »

HOORAY FOR TROLLS!

Anyway, bjlong, that new one is really funny.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 05:18:02 pm »

Yes, thirds and fourth time's the charm.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 05:26:54 pm »

I really like those first two pirate comics.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »

LOL! DO YOU GET IT? HE IS LOOKING FOR COMICS BUT HE IS THE COMIC HIMSELF!
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »

Also none of these comics are good.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 02:35:21 am »

You mean all the unfunny LOL RANDUM troll ones?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4