Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: boats, ships, etc.  (Read 902 times)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
boats, ships, etc.
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:05:01 pm »

Hello, I didn't found any threads about boats, then  started one by myself.
The main idea, is about the little boats, for domestic purposes, like fishing.
The boat should be a area designated by a new item, the boatbench,
and that are should be not totally attached to the land, they should be linked by a harbour, a new building, designated like a bridge, so, when you finish building the boat, you should use to get more fishes(and add some fishs that just appear in the deep ocean), the steering for the boat should be simple, the one who is piloting the boat need paddles, if that one is strong, and the paddles are well-crafted , te boat will move faster, but if hte boat is too huge, will be slower and harder to control.
The boats should be used by merchants, to transport goods to outpost that's on far away on sea island(by the way, they can be used in place of wagon, when you go sttle on a island)
The ships are really bigger versions of boats, they can hold a really big crew, can hold cargo, and can have guns, for some tipes of sea battles.
The ship are designed by masts, and sails can be made of cloth and put in the mast, for propulsion.
Ships have a steering whell, for direction change.
As a minor thing, maps shuold be implemented, becasue the dwarves doesn't know where everyplace of the world is(just a really minor thing)
So when the army arc and county will completely implemented, we can build boats to transport beetwen maps and ships to trade beetween ports, and conquest seaside places.
So Storms can be added, damaging your sails, slowing your down and almost sinking your ship.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: boats, ships, etc.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:54:46 pm »

Search power, logic in disguise!

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:03:12 am »

sorry, I really didn't found it

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:45:02 am »

< :)>

Basic canoe. Replace the <> with ballista arrowheads/ramp symbols and you're golden.

We could get this much for basic fishing boats before huge-ass multitile boats go in.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:56:04 pm »

I wanna see constructed walls floating if made of wood. Then the great fortress shall float across the sea into elven territory before launching the magma kittens at the elves!
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »

Or set the ship on fire and launch on a elven seaside treat

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 10:31:16 pm »

I'd love to see more boats (and better seaside cliffs) so I could properly replicate half-circle seahold from the Pern novels

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 08:19:37 am »

ah, I want boats and ships so that I can stage great landing parties, D-day style.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:29:42 am »

ah, I want boats and ships so that I can stage great landing parties, D-day style.

Why stop there?

give the invaders boats!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:00 am »

How about the Mulberries.  Dig a dry dock, build rock 'hulls' with plenty of available bouyancy on top of supports, flood the dock, lever-remove the supports, let the Mulberry fleet settle and then float out, then open the strategic floor hatches/floodgates to let the water in and Mulberries settle down on the sea-bed.

Also, underwater bases air-tight or diving-bell-style entrances only to the construct, designed to carry the Chosen Few on a journey to populate the bottom of the ocean.  With or without releasable 'escape pods' that have enough buoyancy to return to the surface, and spread sails, or versions with pumps to allow one to surface right under the elven fleet, destroy them and then submerge again to settle down over the wrecks, to gather up the spoils from the seabed.  Captain Urist McNemo at your service...

Help!  I'm being kidnapped by my own imagination!  My imagination is running away with me!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:04:21 am »

Amphibious assault ships filled with dwarves, powered by screwpumps... Submarine dwarves seeing neither sun nor elf... Sea to land magma mortars using heavily pressurised magma to bombard coastal villages... Submerged construction units using magma stores to construct bridges and walkways on the surface...

Help! his imagination is running away with me too!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.