Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Post your strangest defence plan!  (Read 6589 times)

Kern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defense plan!
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »

I could make a lever room for the maze, put a cage with a wild Rhesus Macaque in it, close the door to the room and let the monkey out of the cage.

I love the thought of a room full of levers and a monkey yelling, flipping the fuck out, and pulling them indiscriminately

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defence plan!
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 04:06:58 pm »

Actually, monkeys don't pull levers in vanilla DF, though it's easy to mod them to do so.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 04:12:53 pm »

Actually, monkeys don't pull levers in vanilla DF, though it's easy to mod them to do so.
In that case, it sounds like a productive way to rid yourself of berserk dwarves.
They pull random levers, right?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 05:56:00 pm »

In that case, it sounds like a productive way to rid yourself of berserk dwarves.
They pull random levers, right?
I'm not sure, but Gremlins sure do. At least, that's what the wiki is saying. Noone's completely sure, but many think that it's the [MISCHIEVOUS] tag. Add it to a random hostile animal in your fortress and see what happens. If it's true, it will be great!

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 06:29:13 pm »

Do they need opposable thumbs or some such thing? If not, I've got a shitload of Raccoons in my current fort...I can hollow out a small spot, fill it with levers and stuff one in there to test.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2009, 06:40:05 pm »

You just need the [MISCHIEVOUS] tag. They'll pull the lever with their tongue if need be.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2009, 07:02:30 pm »

Do they need opposable thumbs or some such thing? If not, I've got a shitload of Raccoons in my current fort...I can hollow out a small spot, fill it with levers and stuff one in there to test.
Opposable means we can flatten our hand rather than keep it in a position appropriate for holding cylindrical objects all the time.  So no.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2009, 07:41:09 pm »

Opposable means we can flatten our hand rather than keep it in a position appropriate for holding cylindrical objects all the time.  So no.
"An animal species is said to have opposable thumbs if the thumb is capable of bending in such a way that it can touch all the other digits on the hand." - Wiki

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2009, 07:52:18 pm »

My current fortress, Ceilgmansion, is currently well under construction. It wil consist of a gigantic circular fortress spanning most of the map. (5x7 embark location, and it'll go pretty much end-to-end in the horizontal direction. Did I mention it's entirely built out of blocks?) The entire lower floor is ringed with fortifications to shoot down from. There will be eight access stairwells throughought the map, in each of the eight compass directions, as well as a main staircase in the middle.

The stairs to the second floor (which, incidentally, is the barracks floor, and I have 3 champion squads off-duty nearly full-time... hehehe...) are halfway between the main staircase and the access stairwells. To reach them from the main staircase, enemies will have to traverse a long corridor with two ballistae at the end (and I have 3 legendary siege operators). To reach the up stairs from the access stairwells, they will have to traverse another long corridor, with a large chamber in the middle that does not have fortifications, rather it has a few floor hatches. Two floors above is a water reservoir with hatches. So, the plan is to lock the doors to the chamber, pull the "drown goblins" lever, wait for them to die, close the top hatches and pull the "flush" lever.

Also, I have two 1-marksdwarf pillboxes outside the current entrance. One tile, surrounded by fortifications (and a ceiling above), with a moat around it, stairs coming up from underneath. In the three sieges I've survived so far, they've done a pretty good job of ventilating the enemy squads and making them flee well before my melee champions are needed.

Which is good, because some of my champions are married women. I've lost 4 babies so far. Dwarves are the best parents ever.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2009, 08:51:22 pm »

My current fortress, Ceilgmansion, is currently well under construction. It wil consist of a gigantic circular fortress spanning most of the map. (5x7 embark location, and it'll go pretty much end-to-end in the horizontal direction. Did I mention it's entirely built out of blocks?) The entire lower floor is ringed with fortifications to shoot down from. There will be eight access stairwells throughought the map, in each of the eight compass directions, as well as a main staircase in the middle.

The stairs to the second floor (which, incidentally, is the barracks floor, and I have 3 champion squads off-duty nearly full-time... hehehe...) are halfway between the main staircase and the access stairwells. To reach them from the main staircase, enemies will have to traverse a long corridor with two ballistae at the end (and I have 3 legendary siege operators). To reach the up stairs from the access stairwells, they will have to traverse another long corridor, with a large chamber in the middle that does not have fortifications, rather it has a few floor hatches. Two floors above is a water reservoir with hatches. So, the plan is to lock the doors to the chamber, pull the "drown goblins" lever, wait for them to die, close the top hatches and pull the "flush" lever.

Also, I have two 1-marksdwarf pillboxes outside the current entrance. One tile, surrounded by fortifications (and a ceiling above), with a moat around it, stairs coming up from underneath. In the three sieges I've survived so far, they've done a pretty good job of ventilating the enemy squads and making them flee well before my melee champions are needed.

Which is good, because some of my champions are married women. I've lost 4 babies so far. Dwarves are the best parents ever.
Holy shit.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2009, 11:11:04 pm »

Holy shit.
Is that a request for screenshots? Because I can certainly do that... :P

Yeah, pretty extravagant for my second fortress ever. I just gotta think of something awesome for my next one.
I already did a collapse-an-entire-3x3-embark-location in a suicide wipe-out-the-goblin-fortress mission. I'm thinking next I'll do HFS Hunters. Wherein the entire point is to dig to HFS, make impressive weapons and armor, and see how many I can kill before all my men die.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:14:31 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2009, 02:36:10 am »

wow yes screenshots or up load to the map archive. i wat to see this :D

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2009, 07:00:41 pm »

I had 2 tamed dragons behind bauxite floodgates, overlooking my depot area.  The idea was that if the enemy got that far in, I'd flip a switch, drop the floodgates, the dragons would see the enemy and burninate them.

Didn't work so well.  The dragons burned the orcs... and the human caravan at the depot... and the depot.. and my quick reaction force of dwarves... and then my dedicated porters carried all of the burning goods to various stockpiles throughout my fortress.  Oops.

I think the dragons were being discriminating, they just didn't care if anything was between them and the enemy and the fire itself didn't mind friend from foe.

Playing today I noticed that the first squad in a siege would hit my traps, die, rout, and then the entire siege would run away.  That was too much exp and loot to waste, so I built "the roach motel".  The three circled drawbridges open up the route, close off the normal route, and when switched back trap the entire siege in there for you to play with as you see fit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:40:34 pm by random51 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2009, 12:56:37 am »

I already did a collapse-an-entire-3x3-embark-location in a suicide wipe-out-the-goblin-fortress mission. I'm thinking next I'll do HFS Hunters. Wherein the entire point is to dig to HFS, make impressive weapons and armor, and see how many I can kill before all my men die.

If you just focus on range tactics, you can deal with HFS other than SoF with ease, and even SoF are best fought at a range.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2009, 01:12:34 am »

If you just focus on range tactics, you can deal with HFS other than SoF with ease, and even SoF are best fought at a range.
Yea but that would be easy....

Make a whole 200 Dwarf fortress of Plate wearing Wrestlers...I wonder how many will actaully kill the HFS...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7