Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Post your strangest defence plan!  (Read 6604 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defence plan!
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 10:04:57 am »

I heard that wild gremlins pull levers. are their tags unique somehow?
Ah! yes. they have the [MISCHIEVIOUS] tag.

Hrm. I did not know that existed. I predict some future fun modding with that one. Mebbe I'll give it to all invaders in case they get inside my fort.

as in, "OH NO! THE GOBLINS REACHED THE SELF DESTRUCT LEVER!"

TO keep on topic: my weirdest defence plan is one I only acheved once - my entire fort was built mid-ocean (above the ocean, mind), with magma piped in.  invaders had to cross THE BRIDGE.It played havok with framerate though, and wasn't near as fun as it sounded at the beginning.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:09:28 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »

Now that's a trap!
This should be required reading for new Dwarf Fortress players.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 08:56:52 pm »

ZERGRUSH!!!

kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeke

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 09:00:20 pm »

I am now modding in Zerglings.
They will have 0 Damblock, but come in packs of 10 to 15.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 10:19:14 pm »

Don't forget size 5 or so, they're smaller than humans, and probably dwarves too.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 01:33:52 am »

I almost feel sorry for that elf.

Almost.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Angellus

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 03:15:10 am »

Feel sorry for the tree, he won't be sung to tonight.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 03:21:00 am »

i had a fake entrance hallway with a bait dog at the end, a few tiles before the dog there was a row of pressure-plates each of which did 2 things open the retracting bridges the floor was made out of and start a repeater, the repeater was connected to a bunch of spike traps on the floor of the chamber below the bridges. after a while i would pull a lever that de-activated the repeater(not gate connected to the floodgate that opens to start the repeater) and flooded the room with water flushing the contents into a rotting chamber bult over a bottomless pit walled with fortifications to let the water out. onve the corpses had rotted i lowered the bridge allowing access and took all the useful stuff and raised the bridge again. then i activated the retracting bridge making up the floor of the chamber permananty disposing of the crap.

only problem with this system is usually a few gobbos/elves/whatever got caught with the dog, killing it, so when i reset the bridges i had to kill the remanants and set up the pressure plates again and replace the dog

so all in all to reset i had to:
refill cistern
reset bridges
fight the triggering enemy
reset pressure plates
replace dog(or by preference cat/kitten)

it was all very inefficient but highly amusing.
note: i would have used magma, but didn't for 3 reasons. i only had a magma pool, i had no bauxite or adamantine and i am fairly sure magma can't wash things about. must test that sometime.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 04:23:26 am »

The 'what entrance?' defence plan

There is a 1x1 stairway down covered by a hatch, in a small hollow in the ground.  The stairs go down a few z-levels and at the bottom there is a grated passage to a cistern.  When the lever is pulled, the hatch closes and a pump stack empties the cistern up into the hollow surrounding the hatch/entrance.  All the gobbos see is a small pool, and when they leave (or die by whatever means), the hatch is opened, the pumps stop and the water pours back down the stairs into the cistern.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 04:49:53 am »

Totally awesome plan
Love it though i would make it more than a 1x1 would be quite a bottleneck if you want to haul gobbite or wood. perhaps 1x3? or 3x3? would just mean a few more hatches linked to the lever.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:54 am »

I'm still playing my first fortress, so I haven't had time to come up with anything really convoluted or evil. The best I've got is a miniature labyrinth in front of (what will eventually be) the only entrance bristling with serrated copper disc traps. No, I'm not done building the traps yet.

I've also come up with the idea of guard "towers." They're just square buildings, of whatever size (probably 4x4 or 5x5, completely surrounded by channels so they're inaccessable to invaders, and can only be accessed from underground. Station some marksdwarves in them and let them snipe at invaders in total safety. Here's one that's almost competed. I channeled some water underground from a nearby pond to fill the moat, but I guess that's not reallly neccesary.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:05:57 pm by Particleman »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2009, 12:43:46 pm »

My most devious defense plan wasn't for defense but slaughter.

I called it "The Sickle."

I had noticed that the gobos would tend to flee down the same path hugging the west of my fort almost every time.  My fort was partially carved out of a low hill and narrow hill so the south western corner of the fort was +1 z-level from the front entrance.

I lined the west wall path leading to the hill with gore damage weapon traps.  I then built an "L" shaped overhanging gallery(it looked like a sickle!) where my marksdwarves could practice on live moving targets while observing the plight of the cowardly gobos. 

Fewer than 1 in 50 gobos survived the path down the west wall.

I had to abandon that fort because the pathing was too much of a nightmare(sub 10 FPS) and the nobles went mandate crazy.  The mandates stopped being fulfilled(a bug of some sort) which resulted in people being punished at random.

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 01:59:07 pm »

I'm still playing my first fortress, so I haven't had time to come up with anything really convoluted or evil. The best I've got is a miniature labyrinth in front of (what will eventually be) the only entrance bristling with serrated copper disc traps. No, I'm not done building the traps yet.

I think the best labyrinth design is a one tile wide passage (with the main, wagon passable entrance protected by drawbridge). Even without traps, it has the benefit of making invaders walking single file into my waiting defenders, with their marksmen stumbling into mêlée after the door. I think the best way to descibe the efficiency is that the sqaud that took out some thirty invaders at the door earlier just lost two member to the single marksman in an ambush of six goblins when stationed outside.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »

Well, I may be scorned and called a elf lover for this, but my strangest defense plan so far has been encouraging a defensive wall of trees to grow around my fortress. All shrubs are gathered and all trees that are not part of the great borderwall are cut down, currently a work in progress I'll see how this turns out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:53:30 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 02:50:48 pm »

Well, I may be scorned and called a elf lover for this, but Muy strangest defense plan so far has been encouraging a defensive wall of trees to grow around my fortress. All shrubs are gathered and all trees that are not part of the great borderwall are cut down, currently a work in progress I'll see how this turns out.
Burn the elf!!!
and avatar thief.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7