Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Post your strangest defence plan!  (Read 6607 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defence plan!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 01:44:01 pm »

Actually, that would be a cool idea. Just a vertical crack down in the rock, the side you are on has a bunch of staircases and the opposite side comprises of fortifications.

Of course, then one needs to deal with wagons.

Hey, this could work for me!  I have a chasm in the middle of my fortress; I could put the stairs needed to get in to the fortress on one side of the chasm, and line the other side of the chasm with marksdwarves.  Edit:  Do you think wounded invaders might fall off into the chasm?

My idea for outdoor defenses is a watertower filled with magma, maybe with an overhead "magma sprinkler system".  That would be bridges to nowhere coming out from the tank, high overhead, with channels on top of them.  When a siege happens I could pump the magma until the suspended channels overflow, randomly dropping magma all over the ground.  The best part is that if a seige destroyed the base of my tower, it would result in a million gallon magma tank falling on them.  Well that's the plan anyway; don't know if it would work.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »

It'd only work if you suspend the tank using supports rather than walls. Which means you have to do it.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 10:28:02 pm »

I have the "Indiana Urist Nightmare Hall" Deathtrap I had 2-3 group sieges happen, and they don't even reach the bear at the end.

I gotta continue that fort again sometime; as well as VF it and see just how nice that dining hall looks too.

What is the "library"? The white/yellow 1x3 things?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:49 pm »

I have the "Indiana Urist Nightmare Hall" Deathtrap I had 2-3 group sieges happen, and they don't even reach the bear at the end.

I gotta continue that fort again sometime; as well as VF it and see just how nice that dining hall looks too.

What is the "library"? The white/yellow 1x3 things?
An encyclopedia of the fortresses's history and etc.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 03:27:29 am »

My plan is to carve out a long, meandering tunnel filled with 2/7 tiles of water.  When I'm under siege, I open the tunnel entrance allowing the enemy to pathfind to my meeting halls and waltz right in.  Once they're all inside, I shut the gate, sealing them in.  Further down the winding tunnel, they quickly discover there is a weapon trap in every single tile, each armed with a low quality whip made of copper or bronze. (Since dwarfs don't craft whips, this clearly took years of trading and forethought.)  The light gore damage isn't enough to kill, but it will wear down their health.  Slowly flesh is shredded away, ears ripped free, noses sliced off, eyes gouged out, fingers and toes messily amputated.  The lucky ones die from pierced organs or blood loss, but not many are lucky.  Morale is now broken, and they want to flee, but the only way is out to continue forward down the long long hall.  The mutilated victims' heavy bleeding begins to stain the water and walls a crimson red.  They're crawling now, and vomiting from the pain. They pass out every few feet, making the last leg of this tortuous journey seem a hundred times longer than the hell that preceded it.  Finally, they emerge from the dark, watery nightmare.  A wide plaza lies before them, constructed of mica blocks glistening in the sunlight.  They drag a bloody path across the beautiful white plaza.  The edge of the map-- and freedom!-- lie so close.  They're so very close to escape, and then...

Then I let them go.  I let them go to live a life of abject misery in their homelands, spoon-fed by their lamenting kinsfolk and shunned as hideous monsters by their callous neighbors. For years they stumble on in a state of near-constant agony, punctuated only by intermittent episodes of unconsciousness which bring dreams of that long long hallway.  One night a single guard is found dead at the edge of town. Further investigation reveals the bodies of each of the crippled veterans of that ill-fated siege, all lying dead in their homes and bristling with adamantine crossbow bolts.  A lone assassin had slipped into town to punish them for their bold trespasses on dwarven ground. The message is clear: No one gets out alive. 

Now that's a trap!

(sorry got a little uh... got a little carried away there.)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 03:56:54 am »

It'd only work if you suspend the tank using supports rather than walls. Which means you have to do it.

Any system for refilling the magma tank would also have to be disconnected  from the tower as well.

Three ways around that though.

One would be to have a pump tower that rises above the tank and pours the magma off a ledge over the tank. The second would be to have three bridges form a chute for the magma to enter the tank through.

The third, final, and easiest would be to build the tank around the pumping tower and have a ring of bridges forming a seal around the tower at the bottom.

AtomicDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 05:01:38 am »

A hallway one tile wide filled with vertical spike traps.  All of the traps are connected to a single pressure plate within my fortress.  That pressure plate is located in a two-tile pit containing exactly 7/7 units of water, and set to be triggered by 4 or more units of water.  With each of the two tiles containing 3/7 of the water, how fast do you think that last 1/7 is moving back and forth?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 05:25:59 am »

A hallway one tile wide filled with vertical spike traps.  All of the traps are connected to a single pressure plate within my fortress.  That pressure plate is located in a two-tile pit containing exactly 7/7 units of water, and set to be triggered by 4 or more units of water.  With each of the two tiles containing 3/7 of the water, how fast do you think that last 1/7 is moving back and forth?
Too fast to untrigger. In other words: The vertical spikes will always remain up.
Quote from: DF wiki
Note that while a pressure plate will send its "on" signal the instant it is triggered, it will not send its "off" signal until it has been in the untriggered state for 100 steps.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 06:28:14 am »

I think 3/4 is a good guess, it'll also allow your dwarves to perform normal tasks while training swimming, me thinks.

Dwarves won't path through 3/7 water. However, if there already is a path, and then the water is applied, your dwarves will continue working. I found that out when training my military in swimming.
When I station them in a small room with 3/7 water, and then set a patrol route, they stand still and do nothing. If I get the soldier into the room, set a patrol route, and only then apply 3/7 water, the soldier will patrol through the water.

Edit: On a side note, standing still in 3/7 water also trains swimming

Edit2: I just remembered that I used 4/7, not 3/7 water. Don't know if that makes a difference for pathing
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:33:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 07:42:20 am »

Yes, it makes a difference, as far as I know, they path through 3/7, but not 4/7.

I recommend 7/7.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 04:55:33 pm »

hermeticly sealed cave in entrances to each of the different sections of my fort.

The system consists of three or more levels above the tunnel, one mined out and supporting a freestanding block of stone the height of the tunnel and the level above that mines and channeled out.  so that after the cave in, there is nothing, just a tunnel that suddenly ends, with no sign a passage was ever there besides the single pick trap in  front of it m(for uncovering in the event I want that part back and all the miners that were in there died... each of the sections also has it's own entrance of less drastic measures.

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 05:02:03 pm »

I had a 3x10 bridge going north/south in a room with no other flooring that would flip intruders to the east into a wall and plummet about 12 z-levels down onto vertical spikes, and if they survived that, they had to climb the spiral stairs back up to the 2nd entrance while surviving saw blade traps. Had a few problems with invaders ambushing during a cleanup process, the buildup got so bad, there were stragglers managing to make it close to the top by sending wave after wave of goblin to cushion the landing and jam all the traps on the way up.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defense plan!
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:38 pm »

But I could make a lever room for the maze, put a cage with a wild Rhesus Macaque in it, close the door to the room and let the monkey out of the cage. It does pull levers, doesn't it?

Will some one confirm/deny this?  Because I really love the Idea of Mojo Jojo running arround in a room of levels unleashing horror after unnatural horror upon sieging goblins/merchant elves.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defense plan!
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »

But I could make a lever room for the maze, put a cage with a wild Rhesus Macaque in it, close the door to the room and let the monkey out of the cage. It does pull levers, doesn't it?

Will some one confirm/deny this?  Because I really love the Idea of Mojo Jojo running arround in a room of levels unleashing horror after unnatural horror upon sieging goblins/merchant elves.
I have personally seen an animal pull a lever.  They only do it when the lever has been assigned to be pulled though.  Maybe if you put all the levers on repeat it might work but it's quite rare that an animal will pull a lever.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 08:58:50 am »

It's not really all that strange, just some good old fashioned goblin melting.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1658-themagmamaze
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7