Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Post your strangest defence plan!  (Read 6608 times)

Angellus

Post your strangest defence plan!
« on: September 06, 2009, 03:34:00 pm »

Hi, I'm looking for idiotic defense plans, preferably working and keeping the enemy out, preferably in a mean and bitchy way.

I am thinking about row's of bridges after eachother, letting the siege fall down just before they reach you, making them run up and over it again and again and again.
Or maybe a sole noble placed inside of a room, only when the orc's come in and slay him with their band of warriors they find out you were about to execute him with u-speartraps.

So get up and talking!

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defence plan!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:23 pm »

A single war dog.

With [CAN_LEARN].

Goodbye siege.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »

a magma jet mixed with a water jet in the air to drop rock on there heads.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »

An entrance studded with ramps to break crossbow fire. (Easy for a fort that hates using Xbows, or any weapon at all)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:28:08 pm »

I've had a sea-side fort with a small entrance that was only accesible from the ocean side, it was 2z wide and if I didn't like what was walking over it, pumps right next to it would turn on and wash anything on the walkway off into a 4z level ocean.

Goblins can't swim in that.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defense plan!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 05:35:56 pm »

A brige maze. With pressure plates each changing a whole bunch of bridges. With a mix of weak and powerful traps. With war or wild animals running through the maze. With low-quality upright spears triggered by pressure plates in the maze or in my fortress. At the end of the maze there are of course some unavoidable powerful weapontraps.
It should divide the siege in smaller groups, kill them slowly, screw with their pathfinding and generate general lulz. ;D

I've never actually done this, but it's about plans, isn't it?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:48:39 pm »

Pressure plates that automatically dump magma on the enemy as they pass under the magma reservoir.   The reservoir refills and closes automatically.

And then a squad of champions stationed at the plates. ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Post your strangest defense plan!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:57:18 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:45:07 pm by MC Dirty »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 05:59:08 pm »

Sea of magma around my fort.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:03:05 pm »

Resetting pressure plates between 2 sets of bridges.
This actually does work, It even works on orcs sometimes (Since they ride on beak dogs which don't have [trAPAVOID]).

The best part it, if no one is standing on the pressure plate after the bridge goes off, it resets itself to its original configuration. If it doesn't I've also got a lever to reset it manually. Below it, there's a weave of cage traps, weapon traps, spikes, stonefall traps, and there are fortifications to shoot through should any survive.

I suppose the idiotic part is that I had to tear down most of the walls in my dwarf's rooms, so it leads directly into the center of the fort should any survive.

Of course, this is just a temporary measure until I can start cranking out War Beak Dogs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:16:59 pm by Blaze »

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »

Dogs!  In order to get into the killing zone facing my dwarves, the invading armies split into 3 groups, each having to make it through 2 rooms with 16 chained war dogs (or other animals) in each room.  Basically, if a siege breaks through, I've lost close to 96 war dogs. 

I have a massive breeding/bolt making program.  The best part is that the center 9 squares in each room is a floor grate refuse tower, open to the sky, so hauling corpses is pretty minimal.
Well I've finally found a signature

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:28:55 pm »

Goblin Ping Pong. I would hollow out a walkway with a large drop or build over a bottomless pit. Then set up a sideways bridge on the walkway, other bridges at intervals, and place pressure plates at strategic spots. Set jussst right, goblin squads will be on walkway bridge as it lifts, throwing them to the side where another bridge is right as that one lifts. And so on and so forth for as many z-levels you build of them. Though they tend to burst apart on the first serve  ;D
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Ashmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 07:29:52 pm »

What water level do large fish need? My new fort is in carp heaven, and I was thinking it would be nice to let my guests mingle at a soothing koi pond before the party starts...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 07:31:46 pm »

I think 3/4 is a good guess, it'll also allow your dwarves to perform normal tasks while training swimming, me thinks.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Zerrer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Technomancer (2526\2600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:58 pm »

Idea 1
Cave-in. Dig out two levels the same size, build supports on the bottom level, and channel along the walls on the top level. If I'm seiged, then I pull the switch to get rid of the supports and send tons of rocks down on those pesky elves!
Idea 2
Underwater Base. Build a base as normal, and then build tall walls around and pump water in. When that's complete, then nothing will get in! BWAHAHAHAHA!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7