Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Political violence is busted?  (Read 3895 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Political violence is busted?
« on: September 06, 2009, 01:29:50 pm »

I think the political violence system doesn't work the way I wanted it to. It feels clunky and doesn't really help gameplay much. I think the game handled rampages better before it was introduced.

I'd like to invite discussion on the topic of the political violence tolerance and any improvements or reversals on the current system that you think would be appropriate. If you disagree and political violence is the best thing since sliced bread, I'd like to hear that. If you agree and want me to go back to the old days, I want to hear that too. If you think it can be salvaged and made awesome, but you don't like it as it works now, I'd also like to hear you thoughts.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: Political violence is busted?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:44:58 pm »

all I'd want is it to be easier to raise or like back in the old days if you can't, because it's a bitch to raise and all it does now is make the LCS unpopular
Hello Hunam

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:51:23 pm »

It does feel really weird that the only good way of raising political violence tolerance is to do things the public hates. It's definitely one of the reasons I tended to the sleeper army strategy. And several times now I've ruined my chance at winning by trying too hard and alienating everyone. While realistic, it's definitely annoying.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »

Can somebody enlighten me (without violet beatings  ;D) what is "old days" political violence tolerance?
I'm somewhat new.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:42 pm »

play the original version?
Hello Hunam

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:54 pm »

There used to be no "political violence" issue. A "rampage" as reported by the news occurs when:

- You shoot a moderate or liberal on site.
- You drag a screaming hostage past moderates or liberals.
- You commit some other flagrant crime in plain sight of moderates or liberals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 02:26:09 pm »

Yeah, I was going to comment on this one in my LCS story, actually.

While it is sortof realistic, it doesn't really fit with the LCS "You can solve everything with sex and violence" philosophy.  The idea being that the Conservatives and the Liberals are like two rival football teams, and that all conservatives are super duper evil.

I suppose killing conservatives would influence people in two ways, in this game - firstly, it would inspire them, as this game delights in political violence.  Secondly, conservatives might feel threatened, and scared to continue being conservative.  I would, personally, quite like an extra poll, "x% of people fear the power of the LCS", which would be people being converted by force.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 02:43:19 pm »

I would, personally, quite like an extra poll, "x% of people fear the power of the LCS", which would be people being converted by force.

I endorse this too. Seems rather subtle to me.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:48:23 pm »

it would be epic for all of america to love and fear the LCS.
Hello Hunam

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 02:49:43 pm »

Stockholm syndrome, I think.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:11:49 pm »

What about the CCS?  Would the people love and fear them if they were more actively killing people?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 03:25:18 pm »

What about the CCS?  Would the people love and fear them if they were more actively killing people?
That would make sense too, yes.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 03:27:49 pm »

How about, if Political Violence is high enough, terrorism becomes more effective, not less?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 03:31:28 pm »

How about, if Political Violence is high enough, terrorism becomes more effective, not less?
I thought that was how the current system worked?  Anyway, I thought the "Fear the LCS" thing could help, as you could win not just by gradually winning people over with Sleepers but also by simply scaring people into submission.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 03:49:11 pm »

Hypothetically, let's say we went with a system where there are two metrics of people favoring the LCS -- some people love you, some people fear you, some people might love and fear you. Very Machiavellian. How would you see this working mechanically? How would it affect the game to have them love you or fear you?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4