Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need help with a possessed trader...  (Read 1664 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a possessed trader...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 09:11:23 pm »

I think you're doing something horribly wrong or wonderfully right.  It all depends on what you are going for.

On an unrelated note the title made me think you had a foreign trader get possessed and grab a workshop.  I wish that could happen.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 10:38:31 pm »

Haha, i'd like to see an elf trader get a fell mood. :D

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 11:00:24 pm »

Haha, i'd like to see an elf trader get a fell mood. :D
Same, though I'd like to see the elf grab another elf...

"Hippy, the Elven Diplomat, can created Magmadeath, an Elf Bone Platemail!"
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:03:36 pm »

time honored solution to moody dwarves that are about to go beserk: cage trap.
no risk to the general population. the dwarves that have relationships with the moody dwarf wont get a negative thought because the beserk dwarf dosent die. you can even put them on display in the dining hall and your dwarves can entertain themselves by throwing crumbs from their suryp biscuits at the beserk dwarf in the cage.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 12:10:27 am »

... you can even put them on display in the dining hall and your dwarves can entertain themselves by throwing crumbs from their suryp biscuits at the beserk dwarf in the cage.

I laughed for a full minute after reading this.
Back to Mafia with me!

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 07:30:21 am »

Oh gods. You've just triggered some sort of OCD switch in my head. From now on, every workshop is going to be surrounded by cage traps in all of the fortresses I ever make :E

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 09:59:37 am »

Anyway, she did get a cat's eye, and seems to be stuck on cloth... thread. Which means she probably wants silk.
Even if you regularly use cloth (cloth socks and mittens are a common export from my forts), it's an easy thing to keep on top of for moods by buying thread from traders or collecting it from a chasm or bottomless pit and either never building a loom or changing the auto-loom settings ([o] [W] [l]) so that only dyed thread is turned into silk/cloth automatically; that way, if you desperately need cloth or silk for a mood, there will still be undyed thread lying around that you can have woven especially for that mood as and when it's required :)

Oh gods. You've just triggered some sort of OCD switch in my head. From now on, every workshop is going to be surrounded by cage traps in all of the fortresses I ever make :E
You'll have PLENTY time to realise that a dwarf isn't going to complete their mood, so have some mechanisms and cages in a stockpile or something, and if you find a moody dwarf who you won't be able to satisfy, send the mechanics in :) No need to waste time and materials building traps around every workshop :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 10:25:58 am »

I had a mood-goer, the other day who I specifically found out wanted "plant fiber [sic*] cloth", or other explicit words to that effect.  It was mentioned that it was plant, definitely.  So I forbade the entire lower quality plant fibre bolts of cloth so as to guarantee take-up of the extra special quality stocks, and later on I found that the dwarf had used some of the lower quality CS Silk cloth.  Higher value than the PF stuff, but inferior to some of the quite nice GCS stuff that I had hanging around for just such occasions...

Either that or I had suddenly become unable to read, although I'm really not convinced that's what happened.

[* - Please excuse my Anglocentric attitude to some of the Americocentric spellings in DF. :)]

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 10:57:54 am »

Now this is just silly. The trader now has two babies.

Edit: She went startk raving mad, but isn't considered dangerous it appears. She's just walking around.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:32:32 am by tefalo »

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 05:45:40 am »

Now this is just silly. The trader now has two babies.

Edit: She went startk raving mad, but isn't considered dangerous it appears. She's just walking around.
She'll die of dehydration or starvation soon enough, then.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 08:46:11 am »

That was the case. But my computer semi-crashed so she's alive now again.

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 12:50:54 am »

i went through the same thing at first when i was exposed to this course of action. it can be needlessly time consuming to make cages and mechanisims for every workshop. i find its best to set up cage traps on a workshop as needed as it dosent take too long to set one up but it does take a fair sum of time for a moody dwarf to get the 'zerk

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00:10 am »

I always embark with some silk cloth just in case I get a mood before traders bring some silk.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 09:02:05 am »

My supply of turtle shells is running dangerously low.  Will turtles spawn in a murky pool tile if I fill it up manually?
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: 1 [2]