Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: My C++ Projects - Tower of Azari v0.31 - "I'm not dead yet."  (Read 51369 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.23 released 10/21/09!
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2009, 08:27:02 am »

How did you do it?
I couldn't get more colors no matter what I tried.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2009, 02:18:10 pm »

How did you do it?
I couldn't get more colors no matter what I tried.

Code: [Select]
init_color(C_GRAY, 150,150,150);

init_pair(CP_NOTVIS, C_GRAY, COLOR_BLACK);

For dark(ish) gray on black.  C_GRAY and CP_NOTVIS are constants I use so I can keep the color's straight.

I'm going to try to get a release today, so everyone can play with the enemies and items and stuff.  Then I can start work on equipment, and once I have that functioning I'm going to flip through my D&D Monster Manual and Player's Guide and get ideas for items and creatures.  Any suggestions for something original, or any particular creature you would really like to see would be great.

When I do get the release out (if, for whatever reason, I fail to get it out today, it will be out tomorrow unless I die or something) it'll have both the item and enemy editor included, although they're likely to have some bugs.  That's actually all that's keeping me from releasing right now, is that the editor won't let me delete the last item on the list like I expected...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2009, 03:29:37 pm »

Looks nice, I might try the Dwarf Caretaker.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.24 released 10/27/09!
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »

Tower of Azari Version 0.24 Released!

Fewer changes this time, but it's some pretty cool stuff IMO.  Enemies are very, very easy at the moment, and while I plan on changing this later, I need them at a lower difficulty so I don't die too often trying to test certain features...

Internal Changes
  • Added constants for colors and color pairs in the "colors.h" header.

Visual Changes
  • Field of View is functional, tiles that have been seen before but are not currently within the player's sight are grayed out.

Gameplay Changes
  • Resting fixed to actually reduce gold.
  • Enemies are read from a file and a map is populated automatically with enemies of an appropriate difficulty level.
  • If there are no enemies of the appropriate level the game will create a "Shadow" creature that is a slightly weaker version of the player.
  • Usable items are in!
  • Items are loaded from a file then dropped at random by enemies that would otherwise drop a similar amount of gold.
  • If there are no items of the appropriate level the game with create a 3-use, 10-point health potion.

See the first post for the link.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:34:33 pm by timmeh »
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2009, 06:47:23 pm »

I expect I'll be playing this some time tonight.

Sounds good.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:28 pm »

@Outcast Orange - Thanks!

Almost forgot to mention the goals for the next version... I'm hoping to get support for equipment (weapons, armor, etc) in as my next big change, and other than that it's likely to be a primarily in-game content oriented release.  Basically, I plan on flipping through my collection of D&D books/e-books and getting plenty of ideas for a large range of monsters and items.  Once the other item types are in I plan on getting the item shop set up.

Suggestions for creatures/items are very welcome, as this is the part I'm likely to have the most trouble with.  I'd rather not finish with a D&D theme, so most of the creatures will be, for the time being, place holders.  As far as items go, some time before I try to get any more publicity than Bay12 forums (don't get me wrong, you guys are great, but I know there's other places where rogue-likes can flourish) I plan on doing some intensive research into real medieval weapons and armor, so I can try to keep them reasonably accurate at least.

If any of the above seems completely nonsensical, it probably is.  I'm tired and almost completely incoherent:P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:34:46 pm by timmeh »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2009, 06:40:07 am »

timmeh... Congratulations!  You've got yourself a roguelike!  :)

Kudos on adding FOV. 
The game looks great and is already fun. 

The documentation is missing the 'g' to Get things.  I had to look through the source code.

Also, when I saw "many items on the floor" I couldn't pick them up. 

Sometimes I couldn't pick more than one apple.  When I did, they took separate slots apple(1).  I assume this is a placeholder to add Apple(amount) or will it be just for arrows and things that go together?

The editors are great!  It would be cool to have an add new object function to allow the user t o create new ones without having to modify the .raw file directly.  After all, the enemies will show up based on the character's level so you can't screw up by making a super strong enemy. 

Here is a forum of roguelikes to seek help & advice:
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php
I have the same nickname there.

Ok.  That's all for now...  I'll dig deeper when I can.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2009, 07:50:34 am »

Thanks!

The documentation I know realize is severely lacking...  I'll look into it not letting you pick things up.

It's supposed to be (as far as usable items go) the number of uses left (I.E. the potions I included have 3 uses, so it would display a 3 at first, then if you used it the 3 would change to a 2, etc.). 

I'm going to re-write the documentation later, and add some stuff for the editors, cause the 'n' and [backspace] keys allow you to add and delete items/enemies.  I had some problems when I let it have none at all, so you are forced to always have at least one, and you can only add them to the end (no insert function, if you're trying to keep them organized).  I may try to write a very simple tool to sort them by a particular value, but I'm not sure...

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Thanks for all the feedback!  Expect new documentation soon...

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2009, 08:20:11 am »

It's supposed to be (as far as usable items go) the number of uses left (I.E. the potions I included have 3 uses, so it would display a 3 at first, then if you used it the 3 would change to a 2, etc.).
Oh, I get it now.
I'm going to re-write the documentation later, and add some stuff for the editors, cause the 'n' and [backspace] keys allow you to add and delete items/enemies.  I had some problems when I let it have none at all, so you are forced to always have at least one, and you can only add them to the end (no insert function, if you're trying to keep them organized).  I may try to write a very simple tool to sort them by a particular value, but I'm not sure...
You made the right choice.  I tried erasing all the elements just to test what would happen and was glad to see I couldn't.

About the insertion.  you could always let the person set the id they want.  In case it is already taken, it will be swapped with that element.  But, if you had 1,2,3,4,5 and the user entered 10 you'd have gaps. 

You can always add a move up/down feature that will let you cycle through your elements (swapping the ids of the prev/next with the element you're moving)

I'm having connection problems so I might dissapear randomly from msn.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.25 released 10/28/09!
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:22 am »

Thanks!

I may add "insert above" or something, shouldn't be too hard.  Just have to reverse the removal thing.

The swapping thing should be pretty easy too, I'll probably get that done pretty quickly.

Thanks for the heads up, you can probably expect a mini-update later today, but I have some school stuff I need to finish first.

[EDIT]:  I couldn't get the bug you found to happen to me (can't pick up items sometimes), but everything else is done, see the first post for the d-load.
[EDIT2]:  Equipment is semi-in.  Items can be equipped, but they have no effect.  Getting them to effect combat should be easy enough though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:11:25 pm by timmeh »

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »

Items and equipment are pretty much done.  I went for my drivers license again today (but I managed to pass this time :P), so I haven't had the time to add a bunch of items and enemies, but they function well now.  Equipment works pretty much as expected, although I plan on tweaking the controls a bit, and items can be purchased and sold on every 5th floor (like stat increases and resting).

My last major task for this release is getting a bunch of items and enemies created, so it's not the same 3 every time.

Thinking ahead, I'm hoping to get a sort of "look at that square" function into the next version, akin to the loo[k] function in DF.  I may also start rewriting small parts of the code each release, to start changing it from structs to more portable classes.  I definitely plan on doing this a little bit at a time though, to avoid the stress of a complete rewrite.

[EDIT]:
I had a bunch of edits above, but they were starting to make the post difficult to read, so here's what I have done, and what has yet to be done...

FINISHED:
Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armor (click to show/hide)
I'm not 100% sure about the names and stats of the armor, as I copied them from my todo-list, not the .raw files.  I'll double check them later, but I'm kinda busy right now, today is a major cleaning day...
Spoiler: Shields (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Consumables (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Old Edits (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:51:44 am by timmeh »

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2009, 05:16:26 am »

I would rename 'Big Ones' to Heavy Weaponry, simply because 'Big Ones' doesn't really fit in... :P
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2009, 08:53:39 am »

I would rename 'Big Ones' to Heavy Weaponry, simply because 'Big Ones' doesn't really fit in... :P
Right you are :P  I don't use the catagorys in game yet, but still...

Anyways, I may just wrap up this version real quickly and leave monsters till later.  I'm having a hard time finding motivation after spending so long doing the items (rather monotonous) and would prefer to work on something programming related for a bit.  I'll figure it out after school.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2009, 11:11:31 am »

Sounds amazing!
Just keep caking on these additions and soon your game will be more complex than mine.
You can make a growing rogue-like,
not just a game where you add in the basic features and it's finished.
You can always add something new to a game.
Unless you have another game idea of course.
A good thing to do is have a couple projects going at once,
so you can jump around when you get bored.
Just remember to stay motivated and return to them sometimes.
This community can help you with that.

I'd love to play a really good rogue-like.
Turn this thing into a masterpiece timmeh!

I won't be able to play ToAz any time soon,
but hopefully I'll have time next week.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.26 released 11/02/09!
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2009, 02:11:05 pm »

Thanks!  Although I'm less sure about the complexity, they're different, but both are complex.  I haven't had to go near water physics or even the basic 3D gravity you're using...

Either way, thanks for the motivation, it really does help!

Speaking of which, just finished uploading v0.26, the download link is in the first post, as usual.

Internal Changes
  • Difficulty settings are now loaded from a file, as well as item/gold drop modifiers.
  • All external files used by the game have been moved into a "data" folder.
  • Fixed main menu to accept capitol letters as input.
  • Fixed usable item effects.

Visual Changes
  • Added help screen. (Press [h] at the main menu or from the main game screen)
  • Updated main menu screen.
  • Made character sheet display equipment effects.

Gameplay Changes
  • Equipment now works.
  • Resting fixed to restore energy.
  • If there are no items of the appropriate level the game with create a random potion for either health or energy, or a food item.
  • You can now buy and sell items on every 5th floor.
  • Added 52 new items (21 pieces of armor, 16 weapons and 15 usable items)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29