Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: My C++ Projects - Tower of Azari v0.31 - "I'm not dead yet."  (Read 51364 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: My C++ Game Projects - Tower of Azari v0.23 released 10/21/09!
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2009, 07:15:58 pm »

I think I'd like that.
My MSN is exactly the same as my Bay12 account.
I'm not sure of the suffix, though.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2009, 08:43:39 pm »

Hmmm... I tried doing a user search for OutcastOrange but it didn't work... well, it did, but it came up with a Cuban guy who's profile sounded little to nothing like what little I do know of you so yeah...

Anyways, you, and anyone else who wants to chat (although anyone else will need to e-mail me first or I'll probably just ignore the request), can feel free to add me.  My account is:

timo thy . s . dev @ gm ail . com

Just remove the spaces, they're a lame attempt at avoiding spam-bots.  Just to be clear, there are no spaces what-so-ever in my e-mail...

I've been trying to get on the DF IRC channel any night I'm not spending chatting with the friends I actually know in real life (no offense, but they mean a little more too me...).  My brain doesn't operate well enough to program/do school much past 9:30 or 10 anyways...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:24 pm »

Why did you take the space out of my name?
That isn't how it works.
I'll add you.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2009, 09:08:34 pm »

Why did you take the space out of my name?
That isn't how it works.
I'll add you.

Technically, "Outcast Orange" got the Cuban guy, and "OutcastOrange" didn't get anything...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:40 pm »

I tried to add you by the email you gave, but it couldn't find you.

EDIT:
To be perfectly clear, I have no idea how any of this works,
but I think I sent you an invite.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:16:10 pm by Outcast Orange »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »

Hi chaps...

You guys make me laugh :D 

Anyway...  What GMT time do you usually log on, outcast?  I am usually logged from 7:00 to 12:00/16:00 (All GMT-3) at work and at any time in my house.  But I've just moved so I haven't got internet connection nor phone :(.

But... I've been sick yesterday and got 48 hs of permission.

So... Congrats to timmeh on keeping up the good work.

and to Outcast Orange too... That water simulation might be hard but you seem to be doing a great job.

anyway. I have an exam tomorrow (YES! on saturday) so I'm gonna be busy but I'll probably check your projects on Sunday.

If any of you need anything specific.  Just pm me.

Hopefuly I'll have enough time after the test to make a fast project I've been wanting to do and post it in b12. 
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2009, 03:18:52 pm »

Is that a good thing?  :P

Thanks though.  I may end up putting this on hold in a few weeks/months so I can get something together for my senior year display table...  now I just need to come up with something that doesn't require user-interaction, that still looks cool...

Not fun, exams on Saturday that is... good luck though!

Looking forward to whatever you post!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2009, 03:34:07 pm »

Is that a good thing?  :P

Thanks though.  I may end up putting this on hold in a few weeks/months so I can get something together for my senior year display table...  now I just need to come up with something that doesn't require user-interaction, that still looks cool...

Not fun, exams on Saturday that is... good luck though!

Looking forward to whatever you post!
thanks...

Important Advice: If you plan to leave your project for more than one week make sure you fully document it.  Comment every function explaining what it does.  Make sure that the purpose of each variable is easyly understandable.  This is VERY important or you will face enormous headaches in the future trying to understand your past self's intentions.

I gotta go study now... it's been enough online procrastination... :P
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2009, 06:40:49 pm »

Thanks for the advise, and good luck with the exams!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2009, 05:16:48 pm »

Well, until such a time comes as I'm ready to switch projects (temporarily, mind you) work continues on Tower of Azari.  I don't have a new release yet, but I do have news.  The next version already has items and an inventory, as well as money.  The items don't do anything yet, but you can pick them up, drop them, etc.

I'm going to get usable items in somehow (probably in the form of potions), then look further into getting a real FoV in.  So, long story short, I should have limited-use items in, as well as a working shop for them in the next release, ideally in addition to a working FoV system, but no guarantee's there.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:06 pm »

This community of programmers grows tighter and new members are accumulated.
I can't wait to see what everybody contributes.
Tower of Azari is starting to sound like a decent game.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2009, 08:38:18 pm »

Items are in!  They appear both in the inventory and on the ground, and can be used, picked up and dropped.  Now, they don't show up though normal game play yet, but they definitely work.  I've tested a health potion, and similar effects should be easy. 

I'm thinking of modifying the enemies to, instead of always dropping money, having a chance of dropping items up to about the same value...  next step for me is to find a way to allow dropping/using items without entering the inventory screen first.  I'm thinking I may (at least for the time being), try making the inventory screen come up and then act as though the "d" or "u" key had already been pressed, but we'll see.

What I really need at this point though is a good way to move the items and enemies into external files.  I think I may have to either start working on an editor/viewer for the data files, or maybe find a nice, small INI or XML library, as either format would be easy enough to use, although XML is probably overkill for this.

Oh, and before I forget, I also set up a "[l]ook" action that let's you see what all is on the square you're standing on.

[EDIT]:  Okay, before I move the enemies into external files, I'm going to start with an internal vector to hold them cause I realized that the external files will be near useless if I don't have a better way to populate the levels than the current "spawn 10 Giant Rats" static setup.  So, I'm working on figuring out how to get the game to know about how many of what monster to spawn.

What I've got so far (spoiler'd for length):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:56:53 pm by timmeh »

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2009, 09:35:16 pm »

Sounds good.
I look forward to the update.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2009, 04:02:44 pm »

Enemies are now read from a vector, then the game finds monsters of the appropriate level, and spawns an appropriate number given the size of the map.

Next step is to move them into INI files or something, and figure out how to read them back...

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:34 pm »

Well, I found a good, portable INI library.  Not only are the enemies now read from an INI file, I got a little over-excited with the library, and threw together an editor, which will be included in the next release (albeit probably as a .exe only, code is ugly as ****).

This probably would have been done sooner if:
A) The library had a function for renaming sections
or
B) I had realized earlier that moving the information down when an entry was deleted was more efficient than trying to delete each after it and recreate it with a new name...
When I delete an enemy in the middle of the list it needs to update the IDs of all the enemies after it (So the IDs don't skip numbers, I.E. 0,1,3,4,5), so that it can be read back properly later.  To do this I originally tried to delete the target entry, take all the information from the next, make a new one with the same information and a new name (Enemy 1 instead of Enemy 2 or something), then delete the entry and do the same to the next until I reached the end... then I realized I could just move the information from each entry after the one I want to delete down one (like from Enemy 2 to Enemy 1), then delete the last one...

Anyways, things are coming along rather well.  After school tomorrow I'll probably take another whack at FoV... which isn't coming along quite so well :P

[EDIT]:  FoV is done, items are in a file, and are dropped at random by appropriately leveled enemies.

Oh, and on a more internal note, I discovered that I can make as many of my own colors as I want, thus the darker gray used to show areas that have been seen but are not currently visible.  I also made constants for the color IDs into their own header, so I can remove the "magic numbers" there.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:29:38 pm by timmeh »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29