Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: My C++ Projects - Tower of Azari v0.31 - "I'm not dead yet."  (Read 51344 times)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
Re: My C++ Projects - Tower of Azari v0.306 - Update 05/14/10, tech-demo!
« Reply #390 on: May 14, 2010, 04:20:16 pm »

It seems pretty awesome.
I picked a knight/fighter (not sure what you called the class) and was unable to cast spells.
I tried like twenty random combinations and gave up.
Is there a way to learn spells from the game besides experimenting?
Just wondering, haven't decided if I would want that or not.

I found an object which I couldn't carry. I think it was labeled 'A'.
I dropped all of my stuff, and only had my equipped stuff and a potion left over.
I tried to drop the potion, and the game crashed.

It seems very interesting, and I will probably play it some more later this week,
 mixed in with Aquaria, World of Goo, and like five other games I just got my hands on.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2010, 02:55:49 pm »

The magic thing is mostly cause there's only about 10 effects, so finding a combination that works is really hard right now, to the extent that it's unbalanced....  I have some plans to try and re-balance this soonish, but in the mean time, if you ever do get a combination that works, you can check the "error.txt" file for a listing of the sequences that had an effect, and some other details on the cast.

I'll look into the can't carry thing... some stuff is really heavy, so a class with only 4 strength may not be able to carry the plate mail at all, or something, and I think armor uses 'A'... I dunno, I'll look into it. The dropping thing is really weird, gonna have to see about error checking the dropping code, maybe make some fail-safes.

Sorry about the lack of progress.  Finally got the desktop I've been saving up for Saturday, so I've been messing with it a lot, getting it set up for school, games, programming, etc.  Pictures
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2010, 03:04:58 pm »

It was probably something heavy, and I was already wearing a bunch of gear.
I could understand not being able to pick it up.

I'll have to play it again soon before I forget.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #393 on: May 18, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »

I haven't been able to replicate the dropped potion error yet, will try again soon, but today was a programming day, I've all but finished saving and loading.  The framework is there, and it saves the player and most of the information in the game class... doesn't save maps yet (and by extension, the items/creatures in them), but that and magic is about it.  Not going to be saving the item/monster/room/tile data, since all of those are either hard-coded or loaded from a file.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 20, 2010, 06:27:25 pm »

I can see a bright, shining future for TOA. I know you more than likely hear that a lot, but it is true.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #395 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »

I really don't, thanks!

Unfortunately, I've gotten nothing done with ToA over the last few days... I whipped up a program to help me keep track of bank stuff, and messed around with my D&D Dungeon Mastering stuff (been trying to find anyone I know who'd actually play with me :P ), but no ToA progress....  Should change tomorrow though, don't think I have anything to do tomorrow....

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 20, 2010, 08:45:34 pm »

Also wondering, If I add a Uber rare item, is there a way I can prevent it from being found in the dungeon like four times? Like some kind of Adamantine Sword? I could always mod it in myself, considering I know a bit of C++
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #397 on: May 20, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »

Adding the [RARE] tag just means it can't show up in a shop, but combining that with a really high value would mean that it's only found much further in, and rarely, although now that you mention it, I really ought to figure something out for item rarity....

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 21, 2010, 06:53:34 am »

Adding the [RARE] tag just means it can't show up in a shop, but combining that with a really high value would mean that it's only found much further in, and rarely, although now that you mention it, I really ought to figure something out for item rarity....
Thanks!
Story of my life.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #399 on: May 22, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

@Meanmelter - Thank you, the input is really helpful!

Unfortunately, I realized I wasn't quite so far along with the saving/loading as I'd though (note to self, skipping unit tests on something that big is a really, really, really bad idea :P )

That being said, it works now, and the only thing missing is the maps, enemies and spell data.  (Technically, it doesn't save the items or money on the map either, but the framework for that is still in place from the inventory saving/loading.)  None of that should take too long... part of the delay this time was my getting the SVN and such set up on the desktop, so I can work on it from either computer.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 22, 2010, 04:59:52 pm »

@timmeh

I was thinking, I could make a 'advance mod' for you. As in adding more Items, classes, monsters Etc, could put it as TOA mods. Or you could just add it to your main Download.
Story of my life.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #401 on: May 22, 2010, 09:27:44 pm »

That would be freaking awesome!  One thing I'm absolutely horrible at is content (thus the rogue-like, an excuse to have the computer generate most of the content for me :P ).  Anything you put together (that isn't intentionally and ridiculously unbalanced... I.E. no 0.1 weight sword that adds 10000 strength or a potion of endurance that makes the player permanently invulnerable :P ), I'd be happy to put into the next release (or whenever you finish it, no rush :D )

Speaking of next release, while it's not ready yet, it's getting freaking close....  Saving and loading works, I just have to change it from the current quick-save style to use the main menu, and save when the player quits.  This might take me a little while though, cause I gotta figure out the best way to deal with the file-system/architecture....  I'm half tempted to screw trying to write cross-platform file management code, and just have a text-file that keeps track of characters.  It'd mean an extra step to save-scum or use other people's saves (which is both a good and bad thing during development I guess :P ), and it'd be easier to put together....  All I'd really have to touch as far as file-system stuff is checking if a file exists, and I've already got cross-platform code for that....

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »

I shall wait for the next release, or should I just get started on it anywho?
Story of my life.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #403 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:18 pm »

Whichever you prefer.  There haven't been any changes to the raws, except that the energy tag no longer has any effect on monsters, but does have an effect in rooms (determines the default amount of energy in a given square.  0-255, defaults to 25)  You could safely ignore that though, and adjust later if you wanted to, whatever works best for you.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 22, 2010, 11:09:23 pm »

Khehe, won't be so easy to get through the dungeon anymore ^_^
And what are these shadows attacking me? They are not in the enemy file, are they just things to swing at when you have no enemy's in the Enemy file?
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29